Canada Kicks Ass
Warm places to retire on the cheap

1  2  3  4  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 am

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/5-Plac ... 15771.html

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 am

I have a friend that wants to move to Uruguay. Immigration simply requires proof of $500/ month US income or more and you're pretty much set. That $500 btw would be like having $2000 here.
He also wants to move there because it is still largely European influenced and he speaks, French, Spanish, Italian and German.
Or as he put it, "It would be like living in Europe without having to put up with all those Europeans." :lol:

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:47 am

A Mennonite friend of mine is retiring in southern Brazil with his wife and her sister and husband(all Mennonites themselves).

PostFactum @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:11 am

Nah, thoughts of old folks. Plans for the future, yeah? :D :D :D

PostFactum @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:16 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Or as he put it, "It would be like living in Europe without having to put up with all those Europeans." :lol:

You know, I've discovered one interesting stuff in life. A lot of North Americans (I don't mean Mexicans) want to move to Europe and a lot of Europeans want to move to the North America. Strange life phenomenon.

Brenda @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:24 am

That's because we don't want to live with the bs we created ourselves :lol:

PostFactum @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:34 am

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL Good point Brenda))

raydan @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 am

Which is why Brenda lives in Canada now. 8O

Brenda @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 am

Well, exactly. I don't want to put up with all the Europeans and their bs either. And, here I can bitch, because I didn't create anything :D And then, as an immigrant, apparently I am entitled to change this country into the place I came from, and then I will be going somewhere else. Uruguay, or something :lol:

PostFactum @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:18 am

Brenda, If you don't have a medal "The most selfish Canadian immigrant ever" I will be surprised :D

Brenda @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
Brenda, If you don't have a medal "The most selfish Canadian immigrant ever" I will be surprised :D

You know my comment was tongue in cheek, right? :lol:

OnTheIce @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:48 am

Brenda Brenda:
Well, exactly. I don't want to put up with all the Europeans and their bs either. And, here I can bitch, because I didn't create anything :D And then, as an immigrant, apparently I am entitled to change this country into the place I came from, and then I will be going somewhere else. Uruguay, or something :lol:

Exactly....the ever moving target we call our "culture".

CommanderSock @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 am

What about those tiny Carib nations/territories that dot around the larger ones, like Barbados, St Kitts and Nevis, US Virgin Islands, Guadeloupe, etc? I heard they were highly developed and safe.

As for myself, I can see myself in many places, there's the gorgeous maritime provinces, northern Brazil (the south is too Euro for my liking I hate mono ethnic regions), Cape Town, Los Angeles, Dubai, Doha...list is endless.

raydan @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 am

But I don't want to retire to a place that has no winter. :(

I like our Canadian seasons... all 4 of them... even though I could get by without November. 8)

PostFactum @ Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 am

Ok, I'll write some commercial for you :)

What about few villages in my region? :) Only 300 Km from city, plus x - remark on mountain land. 300*x km from Capital of Galicia! Only this few years, fresh air, hospitable people. If you'll bring truck of vodka with yourself all men in settlement will think that you're an angel. Low prices ! (Having 100$ you're feeling like Abramovich in London), possibility to work on land, rivers of Borshch and Tonns of Purohu, 2 Ukrainian TV chennels and one Polish( in best case). For example, you live in famous big city of Toronto? You're moving minimum of time? Weak body muscles? Unnecessary weight? I know best decision! There, without any gas, you're having a unique chance to cut firewood every morning and the whole days in the fall before winter time. Can you imagine how lucky are you?!! Tired the way others are speaking? That's only good side !, there ,most of people don't know how to write correct on their own language, if you will find someone who speaks English there, I'll cut my finger ( I'm not kidding). Are you and old and poor man? You don't have enought woman attention, no money ? Oh man, you're in heaven, when everyone in the village will start to know that you're not alcoholic man who just settled, even the women of all nearest settlements will be taking by storm your house (I'm not even talking about village that you live in, you will have to build bunker or something like that). Are you Canadian? Yes, you're right, I'm asking you! Being the representer of Ukrainian frienship nation, especially for you will be organised 1 month drunk party with beating of Russians who lost in forest. Expensive ? Are you kidding? Let's count. 1000$ plane ticket to Kyiv + 50$ train ticket to Ivano-Frankivsk + 3$ train to the mountains and 3 days of walk on your own! You see, everything is obtainable!. On 1000$ you can live a year here. Hunting, fishing and hiking. Any questions? Just write them here, I'll answer.

P.S. I'll be your personal free guide just for permission to look on.

:D :D :D [B-o]

1  2  3  4  Next