Canada Kicks Ass
Why A Tiny Canadian Island Should Be Your Next Vacation

Previous  1  2

Jabberwalker @ Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:23 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Everyone goes on about Peggy's Cove.....big rocks and more big rocks. Anyone who has had to pick stones in a field may be traumatized. INMNSHO it is starkly beautiful though, just like the hoodoos and Badlands are, or Ayers Rock

I thought Peggy's Cove a bit depressing last time I was there. I like the view and all, but just a little to the right in the water were the buoys roping off where Swiss Air 111 crashed.

Somewhere in my possessions is a picture of me sailing right past that buoy in a Lunenburg-built 52 foot schooner, taken long before the crash. There was a fairway buoy there (about a mile straight out from the Peggy's light) before and I believe that the plane actually hit it.

An old childhood friend of mine lives on St. Margaret's Bay. His mother died and she wanted her ashes scattered there (which they were). As my friend said, two day's later, she had lots of company out on the Bay.

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:31 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Everyone goes on about Peggy's Cove.....big rocks and more big rocks. Anyone who has had to pick stones in a field may be traumatized. INMNSHO it is starkly beautiful though, just like the hoodoos and Badlands are, or Ayers Rock

I thought Peggy's Cove a bit depressing last time I was there. I like the view and all, but just a little to the right in the water were the buoys roping off where Swiss Air 111 crashed.

Somewhere in my possessions is a picture of me sailing right past that buoy in a Lunenburg-built 52 foot schooner, taken long before the crash. There was a fairway buoy there (about a mile straight out from the Peggy's light) before and I believe that the plane actually hit it.

An old childhood friend of mine lives on St. Margaret's Bay. His mother died and she wanted her ashes scattered there (which they were). As my friend said, two day's later, she had lots of company out on the Bay.

My family was given a homestead on the opposite side of Halifax from Peggy's Cove, by Queen Victoria. My Grandfather and Great Grandfather grew up there, and my Grandfather built schooners in Halifax and Lunenberg. Including the Bluenose II. :) I wouldn't be surprised if he worked on the one you rode on.

The local store near the homestead backs on to Ships' Harbour, and even has a deep water dock out back where the old sailing ships used to unload in the 16 and 1700's. My idea of a perfect vacation is taking a rowboat out into that cove, dropping an anchor and a hook and drinking beer all day. [B-o]

PostFactum @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 am

Eatin and sleeping in apartment, 1000 $ per day. Thanks, I can do the same at home :)

commanderkai @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 am

Yeah, I've been to the Bay of Fundy a few times, I think I can skip out on that place for $1000 a night.

Jabberwalker @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 am

my Grandfather built schooners in Halifax and Lunenberg. Including the Bluenose II. :) I wouldn't be surprised if he worked on the one you rode on.

It was the William Moir and it was built as a birthday present for a scion of the Moir's Chocolates family of Chester NS back in the (50-60s?). It had changed hands by the time I sailed on her in the 70's. ... 52 foot Schooner ... no topsail but with fisherman sail.

Jonny_C @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Briar Island at the end of the Digby Neck, Nova Scotia side of the Bay of Fundy is another cool, off-the-beaten-path place ... a bit like a Newfoundland out-port. You get to see the last of the Right Whales before they are right extinct.

Been there. Nice spot. We took a 3 hr. whale-watching tour on a local lobster boat and got up close and personal with a pod of fin whales, along with numerous minkes. No right whales, sadly.

Strutz @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks Boots... :lol:

I checked out the website.

On my if-I-had-those-kind-of-bucks-to-say-f*ck-it list.

Definitely.

Oh yeah. 8)

Yogi @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 pm

:idea: :idea: $1,000 per night. Fuck that! I'll bet Strutz can give us a better deal than that. And on the pacific ocean to boot! :lol:

JohnV @ Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:57 am

I worked with a couple of guys from Fogo Island, one is still here....I cant understand a word he says....

Fighter @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Cool...

Sunnyways @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm

martin14 martin14:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Anacosti Island is actually one place I've been meaning to get to. Guess I have another on the list.

I've been to Anticosti.. it's flat (except the rocks on the coast ), windy and cold.. in July.. 8O

A good place to hunt moose, it’s bigger than PEI, almost deserted in the winter and with a fairly high central plateau - more like Newfoundland than its fertile companion in the Gulf. We’re having a good winter in NL this year, cold enough to ski cross-country most days and get out the snowmobile. The ice on our cabin’s pond is over four feet thick.

llama66 @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:15 pm

I have a very close friend from Fogo. She says it's beautiful.

I'd go because there is a town near it named "Joe Batt's Arm". Thank You Newfoundland.

Sunnyways @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:37 pm

llama66 llama66:
I have a very close friend from Fogo. She says it's beautiful.

I'd go because there is a town near it named "Joe Batt's Arm". Thank You Newfoundland.

Even on Fogo itself, the accents differ in the various villages, with Tilting having more of an Irish lilt. For my money, Change Islands next door is even prettier - a sea strait goes right through the village. I am still amazed that Zita Cobb made any success out of her ultra-expensive hotel. She’s done some brilliant marketing.

Previous  1  2