ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:45 am

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/symp ... index.html

I dunno if it'd be my cup of tea.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:53 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

Me either.

$1:
As the world's largest cruiseliner by volume, Symphony of the Seas stretches 1,188 feet long and is filled with 22 restaurants, 24 pools and 2,759 cabins.

At capacity, the ship can host about 6,680 guests -- plus 2,200-some crew members for a total of nearly 9,000 people.

With nine thousand people aboard it's a prime target for Islamic terrorists.

Pass.

Jabberwalker @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:29 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Me either.

$1:
As the world's largest cruiseliner by volume, Symphony of the Seas stretches 1,188 feet long and is filled with 22 restaurants, 24 pools and 2,759 cabins.

At capacity, the ship can host about 6,680 guests -- plus 2,200-some crew members for a total of nearly 9,000 people.

Pass.

I've been wondering for years why a cruise ship hasn't been attacked. It's a totally soft target, easy to sink (not built like a warship), impossible to guard and they are all over the place.

I guess it's true what they say that only ships of the desert are full of Arab seaman.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50 am

Unfortunately they have, remember the Achille Lauro?

$1:
The Achille Lauro hijacking happened on October 7, 1985, when the Italian MS Achille Lauro was hijacked by four men representing the Palestine Liberation Front off the coast of Egypt, as she was sailing from Alexandria to Ashdod, Israel. A 69-year-old Jewish American man in a wheelchair, Leon Klinghoffer, was murdered by the hijackers and thrown overboard. The hijacking sparked the Sigonella Crisis.

It's just fortunate that back then they had some restraint and didn't want to have their cause villified by the world because if they were today's terrorists there would have been alot more deaths than just one poor old crippled Jewish gentleman.

But it's going to happen again and when it does it'll be pure carnage because today's terrorists don't make demands anymore they're quite happy to skip the foreplay and just make victims.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 am

Well, this one will soon be based out of Miami, so there's not much of a chance it will be a viable target for ME terrorists.

Robair @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 am

What a lovely whale squasher.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 am

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/symphony-of-the-seas-world-largest-cruise-ship/index.html

Mine either. I'd much rather be on the uppers doing a jackstay on one of these floating pleasure palaces than spending one second with 6000+ vacationers pretending they went to sea.

HMCS_Saskatchewan_DDE-262_in_1963.jpg
HMCS_Saskatchewan_DDE-262_in_1963.jpg [ 15.43 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

bootlegga @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:16 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Me either.

I didn't think I'd care for cruises either, but I went on one 7 or 8 years ago and it was surprisingly fun. Lots of activities for all ages, great food, layovers in fun places. I could see myself doing another cruise sometime int the future, but I doubt it'd be on this monster.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:

Pass.

Most cruise ships have 5-6000 people onboard anyways (crew and passengers), so while it's more, it's not a magnitude or more of additional people. And the security to get onboard one of those cruise ships is tight, at least as tight as it is to get on a plane these days. The only way terrorists are going to get onboard most cruise ships would be to board at sea by helicopter insertion, which would probably only happen in a Hollywood movie.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 am

Well, this one will soon be based out of Miami, so there's not much of a chance it will be a viable target for ME terrorists.

I recall there used to be two entire buildings in NYC that no one believed would ever be a viable target for the (EDIT) pigfuckers goatfuckers.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/symphony-of-the-seas-world-largest-cruise-ship/index.html

Mine either. I'd much rather be on the uppers doing a jackstay on one of these floating pleasure palaces than spending one second with 6000+ vacationers pretending they went to sea.

None of the fun and games like who can fill their garbage bag first, who can start the longest chain reaction and watch for the hairy ring.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I recall there used to be two entire buildings in NYC that no one believed would ever be a viable target for the (EDIT) pigfuckers goatfuckers.

Maybe your government should have been more careful about who they issued visas to.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

None of the fun and games like who can fill their garbage bag first, who can start the longest chain reaction and watch for the hairy ring.

XD

Never got the pleasure of being one of the bag brigade but I did enjoy watching some of the poor sods in that enclosed wheelhouse trying to make their reports between bouts of exhausting the 2 lbs of crackers they ate to try and fix the problem. :wink:

fifeboy @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:52 am

There are two cruises I would like to do. Alaska Inside Passage and circle Newfoundland.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:56 am

We had one asshole show up for first watch with a clear bag. It was my first jaunt into Whiskey 601, on one of its moodier periods.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Maybe your government should have been more careful about who they issued visas to.

True.

1  2  Next