Canada Kicks Ass
Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park

Kazakh_Canadian @ Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi there.

Thinking about going on a day trip to the Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park in Southern Alberta. Anybody been there?

My Q's:

- Is that place suitable for visitors with younger children (toddlers)? My main concern is safety. If some dangerous climing on rocks is involved that might not be a good idea.

- I was looking where the nearest Canada-US border crossing is on google maps and couldn't find one, really. Was following Township road 10A south on Google Street View and it seems to just enter the US territory without a border checkpoint... Anyways. Anybody knows how I can cross over to the US from there?

Thanks a lot.

dino_bobba_renno @ Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Do you mean "Writing on Stone" provincal park?

dino_bobba_renno @ Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Well I thik you're talking about Writing on Stone. Anyways, nearest border crossing is either Aden or Coutts. As far as the family, its like any other provincal park. It's as safe as it can be so long as you follow the rules. I don't think they allow climbing there but I could be wrong. Nice place to visit though.

Kazakh_Canadian @ Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:27 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
Do you mean "Writing on Stone" provincal park?

Yes. Corrected. Thanks.

Kazakh_Canadian @ Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
Well I thik you're talking about Writing on Stone. Anyways, nearest border crossing is either Aden or Coutts. As far as the family, its like any other provincal park. It's as safe as it can be so long as you follow the rules. I don't think they allow climbing there but I could be wrong. Nice place to visit though.

Thank you for the helpful info. So the petroglyphs are safely accessible even for people with small kids? That's great. We love history and there are so many different sites yet to explore in Canada!

Looked at the border crossing at Coutts in Google Street View, here it is quite clearly: