Canada Kicks Ass
Supreme Court Permits Prayer at School Events

1  2  Next

Scape @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:27 pm

I thought the US wanted to overrule theocracies like the Taliban and Iran not emulate them. Silly me.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:45 pm

Just to the Baby Jesus? You just know someone from the Church of Satan will challenge this.

xerxes @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:02 pm

I hope, after today, every Muslim teacher in America starts off each class with Allhu Akbar followed by the Adhan.

raydan @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:20 pm

I pray to spaghetti. [drool]

Scape @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 pm

Flying Pastafarian ftw

Strutz @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:38 pm

But surely children can opt out of participating?

housewife @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:07 pm

Maybe Strutz but maybe not it is the US after all.

xerxes @ Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:15 pm

Strutz Strutz:

Technically, yes. But the whole crux of this case was the fact that the coach was doing after very game in the middle of the field. That gives it the air of officiallity and can make kids feel like it’s mandatory or feel excluded if they don’t participate. That’s the essence of what is supposed to be the separation of church and state. And why it’s so troubling that the court ruled this way.

rickc @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:29 am

xerxes xerxes:
Strutz Strutz:

Technically, yes. But the whole crux of this case was the fact that the coach was doing after very game in the middle of the field. That gives it the air of officiallity and can make kids feel like it’s mandatory or feel excluded if they don’t participate. That’s the essence of what is supposed to be the separation of church and state. And why it’s so troubling that the court ruled this way.

Lets cut the bullshit, they are not children. They are adults. This is college, not high school. They are old enough to vote, join the military, possess firearms, get an abortion, change their gender, etc., etc. If they get in trouble they go to adult jail, and get an adult criminal record. You lefties have no problem when it comes to letting actual kids make life changing decisions like changing their gender and aborting their kids before they are even old enough to vote, yet you want to baby actual adults when it comes to seeing someone pray in public. Now all of a sudden they can't handle the "pressure" of watching a man kneel on the field? Give me a fucking break. Praying on the field happens after EVERY NFL game. If the players want to pray, they join in and pray. If they don't want to pray, then they don't. It is called being an adult.

I do not recall any of you lefties having a problem when Colin Kaepernick was kneeling on the field. I would say that fellow players felt way more pressure to join in on Kaepernick's kneeling than they ever did to join in with Coach Kennedy.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:39 am

rickc rickc:
xerxes xerxes:
Strutz Strutz:

Lets cut the bullshit, they are not children. They are adults. This is college, not high school.

Except, this decision doesn't only apply to adults, does it?

$1:
In 2000, a 6-3 majority of the Supreme Court ruled that student-led prayer before a high-school football game, broadcast over the school's public address system, was an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. A slim 5-4 majority in 1992 held that a clergy-led prayer at a public-school graduation was inherently coercive and therefore unconstitutional.

One of the foundational religious establishment cases dates to 1971's Lemon v Kurtzman, which held that laws must have a "secular legislative purpose" and set up a three-part test to determine whether they survived constitutional muster.

The increasingly conservative court has largely abandoned this "Lemon test" in favour of more sympathy toward laws that permit or even support religious expression - and the court's decision in this case makes that move explicit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61224856

Another step toward a Totalitarian Theocracy.

rickc rickc:
You lefties have no problem when it comes to letting actual kids make life changing decisions like changing their gender and aborting their kids before they are even old enough to vote, yet you want to baby actual adults when it comes to seeing someone pray in public.

You mean the left likes to give people dominion over their own bodies? Of course they do. So should the 'right'. It shouldn't be a partisan thing to let people make their own life choices, like religion or gender.

rickc rickc:
I do not recall any of you lefties having a problem when Colin Kaepernick was kneeling on the field. I would say that fellow players felt way more pressure to join in on Kaepernick's kneeling than they ever did to join in with Coach Kennedy.

Because he was standing up for everyone's right to not get shot during a routine traffic stop. Also something that shouldn't be a partisan issue. Everyone should agree that speeding or driving while black is not an offence punishable by death. I find it hard to believe that you don't agree.

rickc @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:59 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Because he was standing up for everyone's right to not get shot during a routine traffic stop. Also something that shouldn't be a partisan issue. Everyone should agree that speeding or driving while black is not an offence punishable by death. I find it hard to believe that you don't agree.

Please, that POS was not standing up for anything. His career was on the wane, and he was looking for a way to still be relevant. No one is talking about any thing that he did on the field other than kneeling during the National Anthem. His theatrics have not stopped a single person from being shot for driving while black, and you know it. I consider it a cheap shot that you are implying that I am ok with anyone being shot for driving while black. I had to take a break from the police misconduct thread as the constant negativity and bad news is bad for my health. Even with my break I am pretty sure that I still hold the record for the most posts in that thread. You know its NOT ok with me.

You lefties need to buckle up. You are in for a very rough road ahead. You might want to take a break from the U.S. news for a while. None of it is going to be to your liking. The U.S. is going hard HARD right. We have a super majority on the Supreme Court, and we plan on using it to the fullest. This will be the busiest Supreme Court ever. Young healthy justices that are going to be around for a VERY LONG time. You better get used to new decisions (that you disagree with ) coming down every few days. We are going to be calling the shots for the rest of your lifetime.

herbie @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:07 am

Prayer okay, taking a knee no.
TaliBaptists....

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:39 am

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Please, that POS was not standing up for anything. His career was on the wane, and he was looking for a way to still be relevant. No one is talking about any thing that he did on the field other than kneeling during the National Anthem.

His theatrics have not stopped a single person from being shot for driving while black, and you know it.

That wasn't his point. It was to show solidarity for people being shot because of their skin colour. And I seem to remember a whole year of protests, demonstrations, and riots with that theme in mind.

So people were indeed paying attention. Stopping cops from killing people based on their skin colour was never a goal. Calling attention to it was.

rickc rickc:
I consider it a cheap shot that you are implying that I am ok with anyone being shot for driving while black. I had to take a break from the police misconduct thread as the constant negativity and bad news is bad for my health. Even with my break I am pretty sure that I still hold the record for the most posts in that thread. You know its NOT ok with me.

I did not imply that. I said I don't believe you didn't care, exactly because of your posting in the Police Misconduct thread. But yet you fight tooth and nail that Kapernick wasn't doing exactly what he said he was doing. There is a conflict there between what you believe and what you express. At what point do you take the man at his word?

rickc rickc:
You lefties need to buckle up. You are in for a very rough road ahead. You might want to take a break from the U.S. news for a while. None of it is going to be to your liking. The U.S. is going hard HARD right. We have a super majority on the Supreme Court, and we plan on using it to the fullest. This will be the busiest Supreme Court ever. Young healthy justices that are going to be around for a VERY LONG time. You better get used to new decisions (that you disagree with ) coming down every few days. We are going to be calling the shots for the rest of your lifetime.

Yea, you really don't understand what this actually means for your society. Keep in mind, we are mostly Canadians here. None of these things affect us at all. These things affect the people we care about, like you, Stratos and Bart. (not an exhaustive list). I don't know if you watch him, but you should go to many of the videos that Scape and I have posted from 'Beau of the Fifth Column'. He has a very centrist and methodical analysis of what these Supreme Court decisions actually mean. And it's not about 'owning the libs'. It'll be about moving the USA to a more Authoritarian and Theological society. Exactly the society your Founding Fathers were trying to get away from. Five silver spoon ivy league people are making decisions for the other 330 million of you. The tiny minority will determine the direction your country will go for the next few decades.

And it will not go the way you think it will. The court will get stacked with 2 more justices to balance the political whimsies that the Supreme Court has decided to ignore law and inject partisanship to. In the mean time, the Republicans will lose the House and Senate. And that's the best case.

The worst case is that poverty increases. Debt increases. Child poverty and child mortality will increase. Companies will leave, jobs will be lost. Tax revenue will decrease. Poverty will increase. Rinse, repeat. That's worst case.

xerxes @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:53 pm

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Please, that POS was not standing up for anything. His career was on the wane, and he was looking for a way to still be relevant. No one is talking about any thing that he did on the field other than kneeling during the National Anthem. His theatrics have not stopped a single person from being shot for driving while black, and you know it. I consider it a cheap shot that you are implying that I am ok with anyone being shot for driving while black. I had to take a break from the police misconduct thread as the constant negativity and bad news is bad for my health. Even with my break I am pretty sure that I still hold the record for the most posts in that thread. You know its NOT ok with me.

You bleat like that’s a good thing. But just wait. A decade of that kind of hate filled governance will turn the US into a third world country.

Scape @ Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrDA9GS ... WL&index=7

1  2  Next