Canada Kicks Ass
The gun control debate is about to change

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Scape @ Tue May 17, 2022 2:08 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
The other argument for going from 7.62 to 5.56 was a study (IIRC by the US Army) that many infantry engagements (in Korea and Vietnam) occurred at fairly close range and having a heavy rifle that could shoot just as far as a WW2 Enfield/Garand wasn't deemed necessary by the powers that be.

In the constantly evolving game of rock paper scissors that is military procurement what has changed between then and now is body armor.

xerxes @ Tue May 17, 2022 3:06 pm

housewife housewife:
The shootings have become accepted in the states as part of life. I don’t understand how but it really seems so. The news will go on about “the lone wolf” or “the radicalized shooter”. People will call for gun control or at least a background check for violence and mental health problems. Others will say he was an exception most gun owners are sane…. Then they will debate the different guns and why people need to own some of the guns out there. Someone else will start screaming freedumb… the story will get dropped till the next one. Rinse and repeat.

I’m at a loss how to explain the unexplainable. I understand hunting and not using something that will just tick off a moose or bear but the debated guns aren’t used for hunting. But regardless nothing will happen. Because freedumb which apparently means the right to be gunned down while shopping.

The difference is in America, the right to kill en masse, is more important than the right to be safe. Every country has psychos. Only the US lets them buy body armour and weapons of war.

housewife @ Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 pm

Yes because everyone needs body armour!! Wasn’t there a thing in the news a while back about the US military families buying members body armour? There’s no real reason other than to equip the military that anyone should be buying it. Same with weapons. Your service member needs it go to the base buy it and have it sent to them. Civys don’t need it. I’m now very glad I never got around to getting my citizenship in the US!

rickc @ Tue May 17, 2022 7:50 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
It took CNN anchors over 3 minutes to list all the US cities that have had mass shootings this year. It's only May

If you do a little research on those shootings you are going to find that 95% of those shootings are black on black shootings. Most of the ones doing the shootings are convicted felons and are not allowed to buy, own, or even possess any firearms in any state as it is against federal law. Most of the ones doing the shooting are under some form of court control (like probation or parole) at the time that they are doing the shooting. Human garbage that would kill you as soon as look at you. All those laws currently on the books, and yet the government cannot do a damn thing to stop the shootings. We are supposed to give up more of our rights to this inept government so they can keep us safe from these predators? No thanks.

You see this is how we roll in my hood: when some degenerate POS tried to steal a firearm at a gun range, he fucked up big time!!! There was a concealed carry class going on. Several civilian instructors from the range joined the police in blowing this piece of shit away, saving the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars incarcerating him. Every night on my tv I see thugs in areas that have strict gun control committing smash and grabs, loading up shit and walking away. I do not see that shit in my town. We are all packing here. A crowd would draw down and blow their asses away.

DrCaleb @ Wed May 18, 2022 6:45 am

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

If you do a little research on those shootings you are going to find that 95% of those shootings are black on black shootings.

Challenge accepted!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... es_in_2022

I lost count at 120 incidents, and I was counting backwards and only got to April. Let's say there are 200 so far, and look at 5 of them.

$1:
May 15 Winston-Salem North Carolina 0 7 7 Seven people were shot in three different connected shootings that preceded an exchange of gunfire

Gunman unknown, no pictures of the victims. Cannot confirm Black on Black, or parole status.

$1:
May 13 Dallas (4) Texas 2 3 5 Two people were killed, and three were injured, in a shooting in the Deep Ellum neighborhood.[27]

Two people, known to each other, one on bail over an argument over a parking spot. Ethnicity not know. Let's call this possibly black on black.

$1:
May 11 Chicago (10) Illinois 0 4 4 Four people, including two children, were shot while they drove together in a vehicle in the West Englewood neighborhood.[30]

No pictures of the victims, shooter not known. Predominantly black neighbourhood, but the story doesn't say if the victims are from the neighbourhood. Let's say possibly Black on Black, but criminality not known.

$1:
May 1 Clinton North Carolina 1 3 4 A party being held at a park ended in gunfire, with four people being shot. One person succumbed to their injuries.[54]

Shooting at a house party in a predominantly White neighbourhood. Pictures of victims not available, shooter not known. Probable not black on black, possibly not a criminal element involved.

$1:
April 20 Duluth Minnesota 5[n 2] 0 5 A man shot four of his family members, including two children, as they slept before turning the gun on himself.[80]

Pictures of the victims not available, predominately white neighbourhood. Shooter had access to weapons, so wasn't banned from owning them. Not Black on Black, and no criminal element.

So, that's a random ~2.5% of the cases, and no clear black on black trend, or any evidence of prior criminal activity.

rickc rickc:
Most of the ones doing the shootings are convicted felons and are not allowed to buy, own, or even possess any firearms in any state as it is against federal law. Most of the ones doing the shooting are under some form of court control (like probation or parole) at the time that they are doing the shooting. Human garbage that would kill you as soon as look at you. All those laws currently on the books, and yet the government cannot do a damn thing to stop the shootings. We are supposed to give up more of our rights to this inept government so they can keep us safe from these predators? No thanks.

So, your assumptions are not based on actual statistics, but by your impression of what you thought were the circumstances. It even has it's own name; "Cognitive Dissonance". That's what most people do, they pay attention to incidents that agree with their own biases, and forget those that don't. Did you even know about most of those incidents? I sure didn't. The shooting in California the same day as the shooting in Buffalo was Asian on Asian, and the shooter had no prior record.

In most of the incidents, the ethnicity of the shooters and victims aren't known. In many of them, the shooter isn't even known. So generalizing that they are mostly black on black, or mostly involving a criminal element who shouldn't have guns is not borne by the known facts. But the majority of shootings that make the evening news are white guys, with no record, who kill minorities or children. And increasingly, in both of our countries and many others, the white guys were radicalized in some way on 4chan. See the commonality? :idea:

rickc rickc:
You see this is how we roll in my hood: when some degenerate POS tried to steal a firearm at a gun range, he fucked up big time!!! There was a concealed carry class going on. Several civilian instructors from the range joined the police in blowing this piece of shit away, saving the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars incarcerating him. Every night on my tv I see thugs in areas that have strict gun control committing smash and grabs, loading up shit and walking away. I do not see that shit in my town. We are all packing here. A crowd would draw down and blow their asses away.

And in my hood, we don't even get many break ins. The big concern now is that someone may steal the catalytic converter off your vehicle to sell for the valuable metals inside. Or punch a hole in your gas tank to steal gas.

No one is packing. No one is doing smash and grabs. Sometimes people give you the finger if you don't let them in when they randomly switch lanes without signalling. I walk down the street with the dogs every day. Many people in the surrounding 6 blocks know the dogs names. We wave at each other and say 'Hi!'. The only time I'm scared, is if there is a big RAM truck at the 4 way stop when I try to cross the street. I've been hit in a crosswalk by a redneck before.

We also have pretty strict gun laws, and pretty strict hate speech laws. We don't have mass shootings, or very much gun crime. Coincidence? Gun crime tends to happen with firearms illegally run across the border and sold to biker gangs, and happen at biker owned strip clubs or bars.

To say that your government can't do anything to curb these incidents is negated that your country is the only one where they happen regularly. Most other countries do indeed prevent, or possibly even remove altogether the reasons that they happen to begin with. It's not your government that can't act, its the people who won't let them, and it's groups like the NRA who have convinced the people to accept these incidents as the price for 'freedom'.

How getting randomly gunned down at the grocery store, or in Church, or in school, is 'freedom' I cannot understand.

fifeboy @ Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

If you do a little research on those shootings you are going to find that 95% of those shootings are black on black shootings. Most of the ones doing the shootings are convicted felons and are not allowed to buy, own, or even possess any firearms in any state as it is against federal law. Most of the ones doing the shooting are under some form of court control (like probation or parole) at the time that they are doing the shooting. Human garbage that would kill you as soon as look at you. All those laws currently on the books, and yet the government cannot do a damn thing to stop the shootings. We are supposed to give up more of our rights to this inept government so they can keep us safe from these predators? No thanks.

I don’t get it! Black on white, white on black, pink on green??? What does it matter? They are ALL AMERICANS! Therefore it’s an American problem! Your system is set up so people keep and carry firearms to protect themselves from each other (not foreign invaders or a rogue government). Each other…it’s sick.

bootlegga @ Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm

rickc rickc:

The fact that so many nutbars are walking around with handguns waiting for their chance to be the Sheriff, is one reason I'm apprehensive about visiting the US. This ISN'T a positive for most tourists considering visiting the US.

fifeboy fifeboy:
I don’t get it! Black on white, white on black, pink on green??? What does it matter? They are ALL AMERICANS! Therefore it’s an American problem! Your system is set up so people keep and carry firearms to protect themselves from each other (not foreign invaders or a rogue government). Each other…it’s sick.

Well said, +5.

It shouldn't matter who was killed, but in the US it does seem to, so much so that Family Guy parodied it:

DrCaleb @ Wed May 18, 2022 1:55 pm

Scape @ Wed May 18, 2022 6:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQAhvnhPWg

Tricks @ Thu May 19, 2022 9:22 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
So, your assumptions are not based on actual statistics, but by your impression of what you thought were the circumstances. It even has it's own name; "Cognitive Dissonance".

I got another name for it. If one assumes 95% of mass shootings are black people to blame, that's just straight up racism.

Tricks @ Thu May 19, 2022 9:23 am

fifeboy fifeboy:

It's also a system that keeps people impoverished and uneducated. Makes for an easy path to crime. Which makes for an easy path to prison and free labour from prisoners.

The USA didn't outlaw slavery, they just added a few steps.

fifeboy @ Thu May 19, 2022 9:59 am

Tricks Tricks:
fifeboy fifeboy:

It's also a system that keeps people impoverished and uneducated. Makes for an easy path to crime. Which makes for an easy path to prison and free labour from prisoners.

The USA didn't outlaw slavery, they just added a few steps.

Unfortunately, it appears you are correct.

Zipperfish @ Thu May 19, 2022 10:30 am

I think in the US you're going to get to the point of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I mean if everybody else has a gun, then why wouldn't you get a gun?

Scape @ Thu May 19, 2022 12:10 pm

We are well past that point. The new wrinkle is the new flavor of gun is now even more lethal, so now you need to get groceries with a flack jacket, body armor and helmet. Gotta upsell those accessories yo.

Tricks @ Thu May 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I think in the US you're going to get to the point of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I mean if everybody else has a gun, then why wouldn't you get a gun?

Agreed. If I lived in the U.S. I absolutely would have firearms.

Previous  1  2  3  Next