Canada Kicks Ass
US Election 2020 Topic

Previous  1 ... 114  115  116  117  118  119  120 ... 170  Next

stratos @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:58 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
it really is a small world; a cough in chile can hit the back of someone's throat in mongolia. like a single massive ant colony, constantly shifting about, despite the illusions nationalists hold

damn planes indeed.

the care homes are incredibly upsetting. only a few weeks ago we were reading about how horribly understaffed and chaotic nursing homes are, how staff had to constantly keep moving, and were unable to focus on folks who were so gripped by despair that they wouldn't eat or care for themselves. it was all already an absolute misery machine. now this is happening.... what exactly is being done to alleviate this death traps? is it just the show going on as it was? it's going to be fucking awful. there's some things i'm glad i've never done, and one of those is have the heart to be in that role. i'm racked with guilt as a fucking toll jockey, i can only imagine the dread for those workers, for those residents. ugh. heard about one where families got involved to help, and that's really great. but there's some critical cases out there...

edit: thought this was the main covid thread; i'll leave this here tho

No worries, I can see something like this being brought up in a presidential debate. If not this years election 4 years from now it is a good possibility.

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 am

Thanos Thanos:
Seven million people travelled through or out of the Wuhan region before the Chinese took any measures themselves.

Where do you get these figures? This has been repeated a couple times now. I have looked, but found no verification for them. Wuhan is a city of 11 million, which means half the people would have to leave for that to be true. Evacuating a city is not an easy thing, and you can't just pull half the people out of a city on a whim.

Look at the south US coast during hurricane season. It takes a long time.

it really is a small world; a cough in chile can hit the back of someone's throat in mongolia. like a single massive ant colony, constantly shifting about, despite the illusions nationalists hold

No, it can't. Viruses have mass, and things with mass are affected by gravity. If you sneeze in Chile, the likely thing covered in virus are your feet.

Martin15 @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:07 am

Scape Scape:
Kinda reminds me of Y2k. So many people we saying after that it was all about nothing but the reason it was nothing is that thousands of people busted their asses so that the worst did not happen.

Now we have exactly the opposite scenario where nothing was done and we are scrambling after the horse has left the barn.

I hope we get thru this but the system we all rely on to get us through this has long since been neglected.

I agree, but to bring this back about the election.

Trump has been talking about this type of thing for 4 years now;
the need to bring things home.

Not just medical equipment.

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:43 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:
Seven million people travelled through or out of the Wuhan region before the Chinese took any measures themselves.

Where do you get these figures? This has been repeated a couple times now. I have looked, but found no verification for them. Wuhan is a city of 11 million, which means half the people would have to leave for that to be true.

I think this is your explanation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Tia ... al_Airport

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:52 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

Where do you get these figures? This has been repeated a couple times now. I have looked, but found no verification for them. Wuhan is a city of 11 million, which means half the people would have to leave for that to be true.

I think this is your explanation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Tia ... al_Airport

To evacuate 7 million people, you'd need 16,826 flights. I don't think that airport handles that many in such a short time.

Public_Domain @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
No, it can't. Viruses have mass, and things with mass are affected by gravity. If you sneeze in Chile, the likely thing covered in virus are your feet.
listen dwight, i was being artsy

Scape @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm

Martin15 Martin15:
Scape Scape:
Kinda reminds me of Y2k. So many people we saying after that it was all about nothing but the reason it was nothing is that thousands of people busted their asses so that the worst did not happen.

Now we have exactly the opposite scenario where nothing was done and we are scrambling after the horse has left the barn.

I hope we get thru this but the system we all rely on to get us through this has long since been neglected.

I agree, but to bring this back about the election.

Trump has been talking about this type of thing for 4 years now;
the need to bring things home.

Not just medical equipment.

I have my doubts that is just fake populism on his part. He talks about it at his rallies but what has he really done? NAFTA 2.0 was signed. The bailout if a huge write off for the money changers but for the workers they get what really? This was a huge opportunity to do just that with a made in America plan but there is no movement when it comes to drugs, manufacturing and trade.

Mitch Mcconnell allowing Trump to take real action on the relationship with China is real hard to imagine. Considering how much Mitch is invested he would be shooting his own foot off.

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:09 pm

We'll know how much Trump is willing to take China to task after this pandemic is over.

America and the west need to recover their manufacturing capabilities of medical supplies. 95% in China is just nuts.

Also China and the WHO need to be held to account for China's misdeeds and WHO's support of them.

If America does those 2 things Trump can be forgiven. If not his feet need to be held to the fire.

Public_Domain @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:22 pm

i hope that, despite political stance, we can all agree that manufacturing of all sorts should return to north america.

Thanos @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Everyone agrees with that. Except for the people with the money who sent those industries and jobs out of North America in the first place and will do every single goddamn thing they possible can to ensure that not a single one of them ever returns here.

No one get your hope ups that when the epidemic ends there's going to be any meaningful change to the way anything is conducted, especially not economically. It'll be back to the perverse and vile old normal of the last thirty years faster than you can blink an eye.

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:40 pm

i hope that, despite political stance, we can all agree that manufacturing of all sorts should return to north america.

+5 for common ground!! R=UP

Thanos @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:44 pm

foreman said "these jobs are goin', boys
and they ain't comin' back"
to your hometown

herbie @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Manufacturing will return to N America when entitled workers cease their unreasonable demands for vacations, leaves, medical benefits and reduce their wage demands to a realistic $4.00 a day.
-Your Overlords

Thanos @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Effectively. Treating any workers in North America as halfway human is pure anaethema to the Gilded Class. They won't tolerate any return of the dignity the working classes used to be able to claim through their jobs and work skills.

Scape @ Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:38 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
We'll know how much Trump is willing to take China to task after this pandemic is over.

America and the west need to recover their manufacturing capabilities of medical supplies. 95% in China is just nuts.

Also China and the WHO need to be held to account for China's misdeeds and WHO's support of them.

If America does those 2 things Trump can be forgiven. If not his feet need to be held to the fire.

Hear! Hear!

Previous  1 ... 114  115  116  117  118  119  120 ... 170  Next