Humpback whale losing 'threatened' status amid Northern Gate

Newsbot @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

Title: Humpback whale losing 'threatened' status amid Northern Gateway concerns
Category: Environmental
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2014-04-22 09:38:48
Canadian

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

"In January, the Living Oceans Society, along with Ecojustice, ForestEthics Advocacy and the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, launched a lawsuit attempting to block cabinet approval of the pipeline. They argued that the report being used as the basis for approval was flawed, in part because it failed to consider protections for the humpback whale required under the Species At Risk Act."

One of the departments cut in the last budget? "Species at Risk Program"

Things that make you go . . Hmmmmmmm . . .

PostFactum @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am

They will remind it to Harper at next elections.

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
They will remind it to Harper at next elections.

I truly hope so. But I don't see an alternate government actually reversing anything he's done.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 am

$1:
"Ships were one of the specific things that were mentioned by …scientists as being a very high hazard to the whales for their recovery,"
What's with the "by...scientists"?
I always get suspicious when printed media does stuff like that. What was edited out before the word scientists?

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:20 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
$1:
"Ships were one of the specific things that were mentioned by …scientists as being a very high hazard to the whales for their recovery,"
I always get suspicious when printed media does stuff like that. What was edited out before the word scientists?

Whale strikes occur pretty often in tanker shipping lanes in the St. Lawrence seaway.

And yea, that's annoying when they do that.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:31 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
$1:

Whale strikes occur pretty often in tanker shipping lanes in the St. Lawrence seaway.

And yea, that's annoying when they do that.

Oh, I'm not denying that whale strikes are a real concern. In fact I've been against shipping oil out of Kitimat pretty much since Day 1. Not necessarily just because of the whales but because it's a really bad idea all the way around.

And good, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who thought it annoying when they did that :lol: