Title: Why politicians and academics never just say what they mean
Category: Political
Posted By: Regina
Date: 2014-04-23 06:43:11
Canadian

Regina @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:46 am

You could add NHL playoff interviews to that as well. :lol:

andyt @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 am

the example of the academic is that it's all about the vernacularity - there would be no meaning for her if she didn't use those words. White American males bad just doesn't sound very academic, hell you might almost get the impression she's biased in some way. She's only interested in communicating with her peers anyway - language can be used to keep the non-initiated out as much as draw people in. It's a way of bonding - we see it with the military as well.

The pols do it because they don't want to be nailed to a position they might do a 180 on next week, but they want to make it sound like they worked mighty hard to come up with facilitating a framework moving forward.

The sports guys do it because they have nothing to say. It's sports, not rocket science. How people can blather on and on about sports instead of actually playing them is beyond me. The hoi polloi trying to be intellectual I guess.

Regina @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 am

andyt andyt:

The sports guys do it because they have nothing to say. It's sports, not rocket science. How people can blather on and on about sports instead of actually playing them is beyond me. The hoi polloi trying to be intellectual I guess.

Thanks Forrest..........

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 am

That's a great article and great head's up on a new book! R=UP

Zipperfish @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:18 am

Stepehne Pinker is a faux-intellectual.

andyt @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am

Probably a member of the phallocentric, heteronormative, eurocentric, cis favoring hegemony, I bet.

Thanos @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Nice spelling there, genius.

"I think Halo is a real cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything. All your base are belong to us! "
- Ziprpefich

:mrgreen:

desertdude @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

What academics/scientists say and what it actually means

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:35 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Who is Stepehne Pinker? One of those 'smart liberals' you mentioned to me?

Zipperfish @ Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:23 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Who is Stepehne Pinker? One of those 'smart liberals' you mentioned to me?

He's plenty smart, no doubt about it. He just lacks the wisdom, like so many others, to realize that his musings are not objective but are filtered through his own prejuduces and preconceptions.