Florida moms, fearing racism, sending babies to Canada for a

Newsbot @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Title: Florida moms, fearing racism, sending babies to Canada for adoption
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2014-07-22 08:20:57
Canadian

wildrosegirl @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:23 pm

I wonder if the kids are granted dual citizenship?

Unsound @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:00 pm

I find this very sad. America is, technically, a first world country. Parents there really shouldn't need to ship their kids out of country to give them a better life.

No doubt a lot of it is based on stereotypes though. "Canadians are so nice that if you shoot one he'll apologize for being in the way of your bullet".

andyt @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Maybe they live in the Fla. town where the police chief and a couple of officers had to resign because they were found to have joined the KKK.

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:27 pm

You'd think with all the snowbirds in Florida that they'd just have to go to the nearest Trailer Park to get their kids adopted rather than ship them halfway across the continent.

But if this is true it begs the question. How did Florida become so racist when the other southern states seem to be going the opposite way?

Xort @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 pm

andyt andyt:
Maybe they live in the Fla. town where the police chief and a couple of officers had to resign because they were found to have joined the KKK.

At least they weren't communists.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43 pm

We live in an oasis of serenity up here. Never forget how lucky you are to be here.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
How did Florida become so racist when the other southern states seem to be going the opposite way?

A guy I went to school with and was good friends with moved to Florida before high school. Last time he came back for a visit, he had changed. He was a hard core evangelical Christian. You know the kind, so Evangelical they seem fake?

And racist! He didn't learn that around here, but he was always talking about the lazy black and the hispanics and the deviant homosexuals . . . it was really quite uncomfortable being around him.

It must be in the water.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
We live in an oasis of serenity up here. Never forget how lucky you are to be here.

R=UP [flag] :rock:

andyt @ Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 am

How did Florida become so racist when the other southern states seem to be going the opposite way?

I doubt if FLA necessarily stands out in that regard. These are more than likely poor women giving up their babies - you can see on CKA how people talk about poor blacks, even in our "oasis of serenity". Doubt the rest of the south is so different from FLA. Probably just a meme that got started in the community - maybe because of those Canadian snowbirds you mentioned not acting as racist as others. Maybe it's all the Quebecois identifying with the black people - remember "White Niggers of America?"

rickc @ Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 pm

You'd think with all the snowbirds in Florida that they'd just have to go to the nearest Trailer Park to get their kids adopted rather than ship them halfway across the continent.

But if this is true it begs the question. How did Florida become so racist when the other southern states seem to be going the opposite way?

Thats a good question. Florida may be physically located in the south, but it is light years from what people typically think of a southern state. Florida is set to overtake New York as the third most populous state in the union this year. Two thirds of the people who live in Florida moved there from somewhere else. The vast majority of these people come from the northeast with New York state being the number one state feeding Florida's growth. We basically have a state of northeast transplants living in the south. One in five people living in Florida were born outside the U.S. From 2000 to 2011 Florida's immigrant population grew by over 38%. The vast majority of these people hail from Latin America. Think about it. Two thirds of the population coming from outside the state, one in five of the population coming from outside the U.S. It has been a long time since I lived in Florida. I do not know what is going on in Florida these days, but I do know it almost nothing to do with the south.