Newsbot @ Fri May 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Title: Montreal Alouettes sign Michael Sam, NFL's 1st openly gay draft pick
Category: Sports
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2015-05-22 11:07:31
Canadian

wildrosegirl @ Fri May 22, 2015 1:10 pm

$1:
His sexuality is a non-issue, as far as general manager Jim Popp is concerned.

And yet - here's the media making an issue of it. WHY the hell was this shit ever printed?

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 1:17 pm

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
$1:
His sexuality is a non-issue, as far as general manager Jim Popp is concerned.

And yet - here's the media making an issue of it. WHY the hell was this shit ever printed?

Pretending he is the only gay player in the pro football is beyond laughable. He's either good enough to make the team, or not. If he isn't, prepare for the backlash. :roll:

N_Fiddledog @ Fri May 22, 2015 2:49 pm

The way I remember it Michael Sam thrust himself in the news by creating a big "Coming out" scene during the NFL draft.

There was this question "Will Michael's gayness affect his draft position". He was slated to be a later rounds draft pick, if he went. I don't know if he planted the gay story in the media or not, but he was drafted and went to, I think it was St. Louis. He failed, tried another team and failed again, I think. Something like that.

He wanted to be known as the gay football player, and now he is. He sought the publicity. He got it. We're still waiting to find out how well, or if he can actually play football.

xerxes @ Fri May 22, 2015 3:13 pm

He can play football. He was the MVP in the SEC if memory serves. I guess he's not quite good enough for the NFL is all.

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 3:30 pm

xerxes xerxes:
He can play football. He was the MVP in the SEC if memory serves. I guess he's not quite good enough for the NFL is all.

And it remains to be seen if he's even good enough for the CFL. If he ends up being cut, for any reason, expect a flurry of accusations about homophobia etc.

xerxes @ Fri May 22, 2015 3:44 pm

That didn't happen after he was cut by the Rams or the Cowboys.

2Cdo @ Fri May 22, 2015 3:57 pm

xerxes xerxes:
That didn't happen after he was cut by the Rams or the Cowboys.

Ok, slight exaggeration, but there was some in the media who questioned if he was cut because he was gay. And I expect we will some some question it again.

I still just find it hilarious that people act like there aren't any gay players in pro football. :lol:

N_Fiddledog @ Fri May 22, 2015 4:00 pm

A few? Are you sure you Googled "Michael Sam Cut Homophobia".

You're going to have to apologize for apologizing, 2Cdo. :wink: There was no exaggeration.

And I used to listen to the Dana Loesch show out of St. Louis at the time. Trust me, it was a topic.

xerxes @ Fri May 22, 2015 4:15 pm

edit; worded that poorly.

It was the media that made a big deal of it if they talked about it at all. ESPN didn't care, only how good of a player he was. I think the media made it more of a story than Michael Sam ever did.

N_Fiddledog @ Fri May 22, 2015 6:23 pm

As I recall he kissed his boyfriend at the draft, or something, and after that the story became about the story and the way others were reacting to it.

raydan @ Fri May 22, 2015 6:25 pm

If he'd kissed his GF, would we have a story? :?

ShepherdsDog @ Fri May 22, 2015 6:54 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
xerxes xerxes:

And it remains to be seen if he's even good enough for the CFL. If he ends up being cut, for any reason, expect a flurry of accusations about homophobia etc.

Anyone remember the series Soap? When Burt(Richard Mulligan) found out Jodie(Billy Crystal) was dating one of his football heroes?

2Cdo @ Sat May 23, 2015 4:14 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
xerxes xerxes:

Anyone remember the series Soap? When Burt(Richard Mulligan) found out Jodie(Billy Crystal) was dating one of his football heroes?

ROTFL

I haven't watched that show in years.

DanSC @ Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 am

Sure he's gay, and Montreal welcomes that, but he can't speak French :?