1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:06 am

Title: Polls show emerging two-way race amid signs of �orange crash�
Category: Political
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2015-10-04 00:20:25
Canadian

Canadian_Mind @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:06 am

Good. Still hoping for a Conservative Minority with a large Liberal opposition. Force this country back to centrist policies.

saturn_656 @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:32 am

The last election wasn't much more than a fluke for the NDP. If anything is certain, it is this.

Mulcair will be moving out of Stornoway.

Winnipegger @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:53 am

Well, the Liberal candidate in my riding is polling at 18.4% average. That's back in the range of Tanya Parks, our candidate for 2004 & 2006. The candidates in 2008 & 2011 did as badly as the Green party candidate. If a candidate gets less than 10% of the vote, they can't declare election expenses. At least Andrea will get reimbursed for election expenses.

OnTheIce @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:08 am

As the days get closer and people get serious, the NDP will crash and the CPC will move to majority territory.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:07 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Good. Still hoping for a Conservative Minority with a large Liberal opposition. Force this country back to centrist policies.

So you're one of those nut-jobs that WANTS a new election every couple of months? Miniorities rarely get anything accomplished.

-J.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
As the days get closer and people get serious, the NDP will crash and the CPC will move to majority territory.

Good. We need stability right now, and the only way to achieve this is keeping a majority CPC government. Now is not the time for minority governments and rampant running egoes.

-J.

Winnipegger @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:39 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Pppppth! ABC: Anyone But Conservative. I now have a sign on my lawn.
The leader of all 3 opposition parties have written a letter supporting door-to-door mail service. So this my way of saying ABC. Did you read the post where I reported a former president of the Progressive Conservative riding association in my riding (before the merger with Alliance/Reform) has said he is voting ABC? He's willing to vote NDP to stop Harper.

Thanos @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:44 am

The Bloc factor in Quebec can't be ignored. As pissed off as I generally get at Quebec for their soft Marxism lifestyle they're 100% correct on defending secularism by banning oppressive religious symbols like the niqab and burka. If the NDP tried to play both sides of the street but essentially ended up coming down on the side of Muslims* just so they could take a shot at Harper then they got what they deserved. The return of a stronger Liberal party and the NDP being reduced again to the third-place status they truly deserve will be the best thing that could happen for the country.

* as Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher so rightly said on Real Time this weekend, to hell with their 'culture'. :twisted:

OnTheIce @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Pppppth! ABC: Anyone But Conservative. I now have a sign on my lawn.

Lots of the 'old guard' of the PC party are unhappy with the new CPC. Nothing new. Lots of red-Tories from that era.

Door to door mail service is outdated and not required. The campaign is simply about saving obsolete jobs.

We don't have door-to-door milk delivery and we managed just fine. In 2015 we do not need door to door mail service.

Winnipegger @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:29 pm

I am a computer programmer. I've been a senior systems analyst and technical architect. One key factor of any computer system is the audit trail. You need a paper trail with actual transactions to prove what was done. When I was first nominated in my riding in 2007, my problems really began. In January 2008, RBC Visa claimed that a payment I made in full and 6 days before the due date someone didn't count, so they proceeded with collection action. I read the card holder agreemment, it says RBC is allowed to apply my payment up to 3 days after make the payment. And that the payment must be "applied" on or before the due date. They always applied payments 3 days after I made the payment, so they always pushed it to the max. But that means the payment was applied 3 days before the due date. It was in full and on time. But when an individual from RBC Visa called me, he claimed it didn't count because it was paid more than 5 days before the due date. I know individuals with a TD Visa who tell me TD applies payments 5 days after they make a payment, which is why I paid 6 days before the due date. But this RBC individual was in direct violation of the RBC Visa card holder agreement. He didn't care, he proceeded with collection action. I talked to the branch manager and requested a copy of my statement with that payment. She told me that RBC Visa refused her request. They didn't just refuse my request, they refused the request of the branch manager. This is why you need a paper statement. So when a vendor decides to screw you over, you have an official document that is acceptable by the court. RBC Visa tried to foreclose on my house, despite the fact I don't have a mortgage. Again, the branch manager called the lawyer and explicitly ordered him to cease and desist. He refused. He tried to take my house. To make a long story short, I did win... sort of. I kept my house. And I paid what I owed the bank according to statements directly from the bank. I did not pay any of their legal expenses, they did not pay any of mine, and most importantly I did not pay any of the additional money the lawyer tried to defraud out of me. Wonder what this was really about? The Liberal party disallowed my nomination in 2008, partly due to this problem. Sharon Carstairs appointed someone to replace me. When he discovered I was president of the riding association and the candidate before him, he asked me to be his campaign manager. Just days after the official announcement that he was the candidate, RBC did the same thing to him. He was forced to sell controlling interest in his business. This was political interference in banking.

My point is you need a paper statement. The banks website is not good enough. As soon as they decide to screw you over, you won't get access to documents to support your case. That's what they did to me. Email and online websites are not good enough.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:29 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Door to door mail service is outdated and not required. The campaign is simply about saving obsolete jobs. In 2015 we do not need door to door mail service.

True. Canada Post needs to save money and door-to-door mail needs to go. The only people complaining about this are either: A) Lazy, and don't want to walk to one of the new superboxes, or B) Out of touch of today's economics, and how the internet age has changed the post office in general.

If a company doesn't adapt to changes in the world, it dies. Period.

-J.

Thanos @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Or a lot of seniors with debilitating conditions who no longer have the physical ability to walk an entire block to get their mail. Quit being so callous just so you can play at being Austerity Hero. :evil:

Winnipegger @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Quit being so callous just so you can play at being Austerity Hero. :evil:

No. I'm not playing, and I'm not going to stop. I don't consider returning to a Paul Martin budget to be austerity. It's just sane. We need to restore reasonable spending, not frivolously spending other people's money. And yes, voters tell me they consider what the politicians do to be frivolous.

Since you raised the issue, I'll post this again. Spending from the 2005 budget (last Liberal budget) vs actual spending under Conservatives:
Fiscal Year: Liberal, Conservative (billions of dollars)
2005-06: 161.3 175.2
2006-07: 169.5 188.3
2007-08: 177.9 199.5
2008-09: 185.8 207.9
2009-10: 194.5 244.8

That is as far as the February 2005 budget went. If you examine the trend and project into the future...
Fiscal Year: Liberal, Conservative budget, actual spending
2014-15: 235.96 254.6 280.4
2015-16: 244.26 263.2

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:16 pm

I sure as hell wish more independents ran. That way ABC would mean more than wasting a vote on some other establishment fucktard.

1  2  Next