This is your brain:

egg-09.jpg
egg-09.jpg [ 115.96 KiB | Viewed 75 times ]

This is your brain on drugs:

frying-pan-with-smile-egg-vector-644978.jpg
frying-pan-with-smile-egg-vector-644978.jpg [ 53.06 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

ROTFL

ccga3359 @ Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 am

Scary stuff, just discovered my 15yo daughter is experimenting with pot. Apparently it's 25 times more potent than the shit we had when I was in school. I remember how stupid our stoners were in class. Well I would if I had attended class I was always too drunk of hung over to go.

andyt @ Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:44 am

$1:
Several recent studies have suggested that smoking marijuana is associated with physical changes in certain regions of the brain, both in terms of shape and volume, although they could not establish cause and effect. Now, new research which set out to replicate these investigations using a more robust experimental design has produced conflicting results. According to the study, daily marijuana use, in both adults and adolescents, is not associated with any significant differences in either the shape or volume of the regions investigated. The work has been published in The Journal of Neuroscience.

Given the current changing trends towards the acceptance and use of marijuana, it’s important to thoroughly investigate the possible risks associated with the drug so that decisions regarding legalization and classification can be based on scientific evidence. Numerous studies have therefore looked into the potential effects of marijuana use, and several have concluded that smoking marijuana is associated with changes in the brain. One investigation even concluded that frequent marijuana use was associated with cognitive decline and a decrease in IQ. However, results have not been consistent throughout different studies.

Some investigations, for example, found that marijuana use is linked to a decrease in the size of certain areas of the brain, whereas others concluded that marijuana is associated with an increase in volume of the same areas. While the studies were interesting, it’s important to note that, because of the way they were designed, it was not possible to establish cause and effect. Furthermore, the studies may not have adequately controlled for alcohol use, which is a particularly important issue given that it is well established that alcohol abuse can have a detrimental effect on brain structure as well as volume and mental ability.

In order to address this issue and hopefully provide some clarity, scientists designed a well-controlled study that set out to investigate the potential effects of daily marijuana use on both adults and adolescents. In particular, they wanted to compare the brains of users and non-users by examining the morphology of numerous different regions which were the focus of previous studies: the nucleus accumbens, amygdala, hippocampus and cerebellum.

For the study, 29 adult daily marijuana users were enrolled, alongside 29 adult non-users. A group of 50 adolescent daily users were also recruited, once again alongside a sample of 50 adolescent non-users. Importantly, the researchers closely matched the groups on many possible confounding variables, such as depression, age, tobacco use and gender. Furthermore, they were matched on alcohol use to a much greater extent than previous studies.

After carrying out MRI scans on the participants and conducting statistical analyses, the researchers failed to find any differences in the volumes of any of the brain regions investigated. According to the researchers, this could suggest that previously observed differences might be due to inadequate control for alcohol use, given the fact that even modest alcohol abuse has been linked to changes in the brain.

Although this study was more robust in terms of matching groups, it is necessary to note that it still has some important limitations. For example, it still cannot establish causality, and did not take into account socioeconomic factors or the history of marijuana use, such as when they began using the drug.

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/new-stu ... in-changes

For all the boozers that want to pat themselves on the back because they're not "drug users."

Freakinoldguy @ Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:53 pm

andyt andyt:
$1:
Several recent studies have suggested that smoking marijuana is associated with physical changes in certain regions of the brain, both in terms of shape and volume, although they could not establish cause and effect. Now, new research which set out to replicate these investigations using a more robust experimental design has produced conflicting results. According to the study, daily marijuana use, in both adults and adolescents, is not associated with any significant differences in either the shape or volume of the regions investigated. The work has been published in The Journal of Neuroscience.

Given the current changing trends towards the acceptance and use of marijuana, it’s important to thoroughly investigate the possible risks associated with the drug so that decisions regarding legalization and classification can be based on scientific evidence. Numerous studies have therefore looked into the potential effects of marijuana use, and several have concluded that smoking marijuana is associated with changes in the brain. One investigation even concluded that frequent marijuana use was associated with cognitive decline and a decrease in IQ. However, results have not been consistent throughout different studies.

Some investigations, for example, found that marijuana use is linked to a decrease in the size of certain areas of the brain, whereas others concluded that marijuana is associated with an increase in volume of the same areas. While the studies were interesting, it’s important to note that, because of the way they were designed, it was not possible to establish cause and effect. Furthermore, the studies may not have adequately controlled for alcohol use, which is a particularly important issue given that it is well established that alcohol abuse can have a detrimental effect on brain structure as well as volume and mental ability.

In order to address this issue and hopefully provide some clarity, scientists designed a well-controlled study that set out to investigate the potential effects of daily marijuana use on both adults and adolescents. In particular, they wanted to compare the brains of users and non-users by examining the morphology of numerous different regions which were the focus of previous studies: the nucleus accumbens, amygdala, hippocampus and cerebellum.

For the study, 29 adult daily marijuana users were enrolled, alongside 29 adult non-users. A group of 50 adolescent daily users were also recruited, once again alongside a sample of 50 adolescent non-users. Importantly, the researchers closely matched the groups on many possible confounding variables, such as depression, age, tobacco use and gender. Furthermore, they were matched on alcohol use to a much greater extent than previous studies.

After carrying out MRI scans on the participants and conducting statistical analyses, the researchers failed to find any differences in the volumes of any of the brain regions investigated. According to the researchers, this could suggest that previously observed differences might be due to inadequate control for alcohol use, given the fact that even modest alcohol abuse has been linked to changes in the brain.

Although this study was more robust in terms of matching groups, it is necessary to note that it still has some important limitations. For example, it still cannot establish causality, and did not take into account socioeconomic factors or the history of marijuana use, such as when they began using the drug.

For all the boozers that want to pat themselves on the back because they're not "drug users."

Who's talking about alcohol here? Taking either of these drugs likely won't win you parent of the year although, this finding certainly puts paid to the myth being perpetuated that marijuana is just a completely harmless little herb.

The more facts that come out about it give people the ability to make a much more informed decision about it's use rather than just relying on rhetoric from either side which is a good thing (unless of course your a dealer) because only an idiot would willing disconnect the two halves of his brain. ROTFL

Vamp018 @ Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Well there goes all Citizens in NV and OR, CA lol who smoke that crap. Also explains those States and the Educational dysfunction. You see a 12th grader is actually graduating 8th grade in those States. So all the Teachers and Admins are Crack-Pot-heads from second hand lolol.

DrCaleb @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:23 am

ccga3359 ccga3359:
Scary stuff, just discovered my 15yo daughter is experimenting with pot. Apparently it's 25 times more potent than the shit we had when I was in school. I remember how stupid our stoners were in class. Well I would if I had attended class I was always too drunk of hung over to go.

The teenage brain is still forming, and it is in even more danger of being damaged by pot than an adult brain.

If that scared you, this will make you shit your kilt. 8O

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episod ... de-of-high

You might want to watch that with your daughter.

andyt @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:35 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
andyt andyt:
$1:

Who's talking about alcohol here? 8O [drool] ROTFL
Well the researchers cited above, for one. Maybe re-read it.

Maybe reserve the ROTFL for the boozers trying to whistle past the graveyard while trying to shift the blame.

BartSimpson @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:51 am

Among my own friends the boozers will still get themselves out of bed on Monday morning and head off to work.

The stoners roll out of bed around noon on Monday and toke up and then bitch on Facebook all day about wealth inequality and the minimum wage.

PluggyRug @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:08 am

Lots of heavy usage potheads where I live, not one of them can string a coherent sentence together.

Two of my friends do the medical stuff (pain management), strictly controlled low strength doses.

andyt @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am

At least they live around you, ie a middle class neighborhood. Go where the heavy usage drinkers live, see what that's like.

Pain management pot seems to be all about the cannabidiol, which does not get you high.

PluggyRug @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 am

andyt andyt:
At least they live around you, ie a middle class neighborhood. Go where the heavy usage drinkers live, see what that's like.

Pain management pot seems to be all about the cannabidiol, which does not get you high.

Been there, done that. At least the heavy drinkers are predictable.

andyt @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:31 am

Clutching at straws, huh.

The truth is that heavy use of any drug is not going to be good for you. I just love how the drinkers try to point the finger at the potheads tho. As I say, whistling past the graveyard.

Lemmy @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Among my own friends the boozers will still get themselves out of bed on Monday morning and head off to work.

The stoners roll out of bed around noon on Monday and toke up and then bitch on Facebook all day about wealth inequality and the minimum wage.

Really? It's just the opposite in my experience. Boozers wake up with a hangover and a headache. Potheads wake up ready to take on the day, no lingering effects from whatever they may have consumed the day before.

PluggyRug @ Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 am

andyt andyt:
Clutching at straws, huh.

The truth is that heavy use of any drug is not going to be good for you. I just love how the drinkers try to point the finger at the potheads tho. As I say, whistling past the graveyard.

I must be having a discussion with a pothead. :D

1  2  Next