Canada Kicks Ass
Alberta asks court to quash 'secret' clause that benefits po

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:02 am

Title: Alberta asks court to quash 'secret' clause that benefits power companies
Category: Business
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2016-07-26 05:37:50
Canadian

Alta_redneck @ Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:02 am

It's only a secert if you don't read the contracts before you initiate your wealth exchange programs and then begin to look like the biggest fuck ups in this country.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:28 am

This is just begging to be an avatar...

:P

Alta_redneck @ Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanos @ Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:52 pm

I'm of two minds on this. I don't like the idea of paying $2 billion to break these contracts. I like even less though the idea of the power companies dumping their contractual losses on to the customers, thanks to a crooked scam Enron ginned up and talked the Klein era bozos into going along with. Either way we get shafted but at least with the Dippers taking it to court there's a possibility that the scam will finally come to an end.

No win scenario really. I don't think there's a single instance in all of Alberta's history where we all didn't get ripped off when the government colluded with industry. It's pretty much on a Babylonian level of perversity and depravity. :|

DrCaleb @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:38 am

Thanos Thanos:
I'm of two minds on this. I don't like the idea of paying $2 billion to break these contracts. I like even less though the idea of the power companies dumping their contractual losses on to the customers, thanks to a crooked scam Enron ginned up and talked the Klein era bozos into going along with. Either way we get shafted but at least with the Dippers taking it to court there's a possibility that the scam will finally come to an end.

No win scenario really. I don't think there's a single instance in all of Alberta's history where we all didn't get ripped off when the government colluded with industry. It's pretty much on a Babylonian level of perversity and depravity. :|

I agree, two minds. Newbie government making newbie mistakes. I guess the notes about that little clause were in the documents the PCs shredded on leaving office.

And business offloading costs on tho the public purse, once again. And Notley will get blamed for the $2b in costs, I'm sure, with no one remembering that it was Klein's move to 'deregulation' that's responsible for the high cost of electricity to begin with.

But there is a small silver lining. It's those long term power contracts that fund the power stations and keep them running. If everyone pulls their contracts, then it will be easier to shut down the old coal fired plants in the next couple years due to lack of funding.

Thanos @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 am

The next big scandal will come from the gas plants. Not the construction or the basic planning or technological problems or anything like that. It's that in this messed up province, where gas has been cheaper than water since about 2004, we'll probably arrange it that we end up paying five times the market price for the natural gas used to generate electricity with the government going, just like they did with Klein's initial deregulation or Getty on the K-Country golf course "we had no choice/it's a great deal for Albertans". Alberta getting screwed on a contract is as inevitable as the sun rising in the east.

uwish @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanos, we are in total agreement here! Either way, WE get fucked!

Thanos @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:34 pm

If I ever win the lottery I'm just not putting my money in a bank in the Cayman Islands. I'm also moving there permanently just to get away once and for all from all of these fucking idiots and grifters. It's too frustrating to put up with for much longer. :|

2Cdo @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanos Thanos:
If I ever win the lottery I'm just not putting my money in a bank in the Cayman Islands. I'm also moving there permanently just to get away once and for all from all of these fucking idiots and grifters. It's too frustrating to put up with for much longer. :|

Why do you think I've been conducting yearly reconnaissance's all over the Caribbean for the last 30 years?

When I finally win I'll be in my tropical paradise far removed from all the bullshit.

Alta_redneck @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:29 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

I agree, two minds. Newbie government making newbie mistakes. I guess the notes about that little clause were in the documents the PCs shredded on leaving office.

And business offloading costs on tho the public purse, once again. And Notley will get blamed for the $2b in costs, I'm sure, with no one remembering that it was Klein's move to 'deregulation' that's responsible for the high cost of electricity to begin with.

But there is a small silver lining. It's those long term power contracts that fund the power stations and keep them running. If everyone pulls their contracts, then it will be easier to shut down the old coal fired plants in the next couple years due to lack of funding.

It took you two, 2 days to think up that bull shit. ROTFL

With no double tax on coal fired generators, and no carbon tax, this never happens. These power company's can't hand back contracts just because the market price is to low. They made their money early and in the last few years have been operating at a loss in good faith and the NDP pulled the trigger to let them walk away. Just let these 20 year deals die a natural death in 4 more years and no one owes anybody a cent.

A newbie mistake ??? ROTFL Good one

Thank you Ralph for some of the lowest electricity prices in North America, may you rest in peace. [B-o]

smorgdonkey @ Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 am

Thanos Thanos:
and talked the Klein era bozos into going along with.

...but...but...Klein was a genius.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:30 am

Thanos Thanos:

God no, don't go there! You'd never be able to stand the racism.

2Cdo has done the recon, follow his recommendations.

2Cdo @ Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:33 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

God no, don't go there! You'd never be able to stand the racism.

2Cdo has done the recon, follow his recommendations.

Thanks for the plug. [B-o]

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:47 am

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
It took you two, 2 days to think up that bull shit. ROTFL

Who taught you how to count? 20 hours is not 2 days.

With no double tax on coal fired generators, and no carbon tax, this never happens. These power company's can't hand back contracts just because the market price is to low. They made their money early and in the last few years have been operating at a loss in good faith and the NDP pulled the trigger to let them walk away. Just let these 20 year deals die a natural death in 4 more years and no one owes anybody a cent.

Without the clause authored by that bastion of capitalism, Enron, this also could never have happened. Did you know about the clause? Then how do you expect anyone else to know about it?

I spoke to a friend in the Department of Energy yesterday. The clause was news to them, and he's in the section dealing directly with contract management.

They just want to walk away from their contracts because it's not that it's not profitable, it's that it's not profitable enough. Big business that's just taking care of big business. Nothing new here.

A newbie mistake ??? ROTFL Good one

Glad I could amuse. I assume then that you believe a government emerges from the 'womb' fully formed and ready to perform as well as it's predecessor? How naive!

Thank you Ralph for some of the lowest electricity prices in North America, may you rest in peace. [B-o]

I'm really surprised you are as successful as you claim to be, given all the bad information you seem to regurgitate here. You are a case study in cognitive bias if there ever was one.

power pricing 2014.JPG
power pricing 2014.JPG [ 62.65 KiB | Viewed 73 times ]

I count 6 Canadian, and 11 North American cities that have lower power prices.

Thanks Ralph! [B-o]

1  2  Next