Ontario's ombudsman calls death of Ottawa man after arrest '

Newsbot @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:47 am

Title: Ontario's ombudsman calls death of Ottawa man after arrest 'tragic'
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2016-07-27 05:37:10
Canadian

shockedcanadian @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:47 am

The old "we need better training" schtick. How about, you need to hire the right people for policing? Five guys pound a man to death with their bare hands, and somehow more training is required? Were they somehow trained to beat a man to death with their hands in broad day light?

What is needed is choosing police based on more vital factors. Most importantly, accountability for officers and their leadership, as we see in the U.S when abuses are identified.

They always put out the "training is needed" early and often when they suspect there is a lawsuit coming down the pipeline.

uwish @ Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:26 pm

it's always the same old same old, every want-to-be constable has to spend 6 months at a police training college, the curriculum is updated and amended every year. What happened to all the other people a few years ago who were beaten up and they said, we need better training? so the better training they got from those incidents was to kill the dude this time?

While I do know every province has their own training academy, there is great effort in standardizing the training syllabus because we only have one criminal code. To me, this is low quality people, and likely for multiple reasons. It could be assumed that the lowering of standards of applicants is one contributing factor, police forces just don't attract the same caliber of candidates, look at the RCMP they have been lowering their standards for about a decade now and it seems to me, to be correlated with significant increase in utter incompetence and outrageous behavior from said organization.