1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:05 am

Title: CETA: Belgium agrees to back Canada-EU trade deal
Category: Business
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2016-10-27 04:01:35
Canadian

shockedcanadian @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:05 am

One down, one to go. Unlike Mulroneys poor call for free trade with China and India, CETA and TPP are good deals for Canada.

Lemmy @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:24 am

Are they now?

shockedcanadian @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:27 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Are they now?

Unless you like Communism and Big Government, yes, they are great deals for Canada.

martin14 @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:36 am

martin14 martin14:
New postPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Meh, in a couple of days the Euro Commission will find the money for his bribe,
a meaningless change will be announced, and the deal will be signed.

Nothing will stop the EU, they won't even let the Brits leave.

Well colour me surprised for being right..again. :lol:

Lemmy @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:39 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
Unlike you like Communism and Big Government,

Say what? I'm a libertarian, sonny-boy. I've been a consistent "small government" proponent since forever. Do try to follow along.

nutsy nutsy:
yes, they are great deals for Canada.

And what expertise do you have that leads you to that conclusion? What elements of these deals, and their expected effects, are particularly appealing, in your professional opinion? What research can you cite to support your claims?

shockedcanadian @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:48 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Unlike you like Communism and Big Government,

Say what? I'm a libertarian, sonny-boy. I've been a consistent "small government" proponent since forever. Do try to follow along.

nutsy nutsy:
yes, they are great deals for Canada.

And what expertise do you have that leads you to that conclusion? What elements of these deals, and their expected effects, are particularly appealing, in your professional opinion? What research can you cite to support your claims?

Use NAFTA as a sample, but consider Europes high dollar value, higher wages and broad number of nations to trade with. The EU gains one trading partner, we gain 28.

No Libertarian would be against free trade and reduced tariffs it is a basic economic premise.

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:19 am

No Libertarian would be against free trade and reduced tariffs it is a basic economic premise.

Quite right, but no Libertarian would also agree that companies can sue the government if the government makes rules that interfere in the profits of business. No Libertarian would uphold the principle that trade deals prefer profits over citizens rights.

shockedcanadian @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:29 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Quite right, but no Libertarian would also agree that companies can sue the government if the government makes rules that interfere in the profits of business. No Libertarian would uphold the principle that trade deals prefer profits over citizens rights.

Minimalist is the best role for government, especially in regards to business ventures of others who risk their money and employ others.

This agreement comes with a resolution process, that is where the rules are set. How else do such disputes get resolved? It has been the sticking point from day one and Canada has already altered the format somewhat, and it is still the issue that has to be resolved in order to obtain 28 signatures. For the record, the WTO engages in similar decisions on Sovereignty consequences of other nations and people don't get up in arms over the process. When nations agree to trade and compete for marketplace, it's never going to be perfect, but it's workable.

As I've said from the beginning, Canada gains the most in this agreement.

Lemmy @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 am

Use NAFTA as a sample, but consider Europes high dollar value, higher wages and broad number of nations to trade with. The EU gains one trading partner, we gain 28.

That's it? That simple? That's the depth of your understanding on this?

nutsy nutsy:

When did I say I was for or against anything? I'm just trying to gather whether you have the expertise to take a position on this one way or the other. So far, you're not convincing me you have a clue what you're talking about.

"TPP good", you say. Is that all you have to offer? If that's all you're bringing, why waste your keystrokes 'cause you're not going to convince anyone of anything if you can't even validate your position beyond "they have 28 countries and we're just one"?

Thanos @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:38 am

Another huge victory for the already-wealthy? wOOt!

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:52 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Minimalist is the best role for government, especially in regards to business ventures of others who risk their money and employ others.

To quote one of my favourite authors, who was also staunch Libertarian:

"There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute nor common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back, for their private benefit. " Robert Heinlein

He wrote that in 1939. How very little has changed!

This agreement comes with a resolution process, that is where the rules are set. How else do such disputes get resolved? It has been the sticking point from day one and Canada has already altered the format somewhat, and it is still the issue that has to be resolved in order to obtain 28 signatures.

ROTFL

Like NAFTAs resolution process?

For the record, the WTO engages in similar decisions on Sovereignty consequences of other nations and people don't get up in arms over the process. When nations agree to trade and compete for marketplace, it's never going to be perfect, but it's workable.

ROTFL ROTFL

Oh, the WTO's resolution process! :lol:

As I've said from the beginning, Canada gains the most in this agreement.

As I've said from the beginning, it's Canadian Business that stands to gain. The citizens stand to lose from it. Less choice, fewer options, more regulations and more bureaucracy. But more cheeses in the supermarket! The cheese will taste badly, but there will be more variety of suckage to be had!

Thanos @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 am

Robert Heinlein = filthy communist!

When does all that wonderful trickle-down they've been promising since the early 1980's actually start? :lol:

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 am

Thanos Thanos:
Robert Heinlein = filthy communist!

When does all that wonderful trickle-down they've been promising since the early 1980's actually start? :lol:

Can't you feel the warm golden shower already? :lol:

Thanos @ Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 am

Yep that ever rising tide of piss that the rich pour on the rest of us certainly lifted my boat to new and commanding heights. :lol:

1  2  Next