Canada Kicks Ass
Ontario to push for Canadian exemption to New York state 'Bu

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

Title: Ontario to push for Canadian exemption to New York state 'Buy American' policy
Category: Business
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2017-03-23 08:49:32
Canadian

shockedcanadian @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

This Buy American policy is smart and well supported. Why use taxpayer dollars to spend outide the country when you have the capabilities and know how at home?

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am

#

BartSimpson @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Because efficiency.

That's a fucking hoot when your military contracts are a raging clusterfuck because of all your requirements that any imports have to have a certain amount of Canadian content. That was more or less the subject of General Hillier's book, A Soldier First: Bullets, Bureaucrats and the Politics of War.

You folks want New York to drop its 'Buy American' rules? Then you folks drop your ridiculous and epically inefficient 'Buy Canadian' rules and then you won't sound so self-serving.

Thanos @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 am

Got that right. Knock off an even fifty percent just by buying American or German weapons and systems instead of this infantile made-in-Canada crap the politicians push every election in order to defraud some more votes. Yes, instead of spending, say, $500 million on a perfectly functional and ready-to-go German-built destroyer that would fit every single one of our needs (the Fritzies will probably even throw in a new helicopter with it too), let's spend $5 billion instead on a new shipyard at home, even though the shipyard and all of the ships it's supposed to produce will keep getting pushed back "due to budget concerns" and not be talked about again until it becomes another "promise" for the next election.

This is something every Canadian should be ashamed of, from the politicians (both Tory and Liberal) that make these empty promises to the voters that fall for them time and time again. :evil:

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 am

#

shockedcanadian @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
You folks want New York to drop its 'Buy American' rules? Then you folks drop your ridiculous and epically inefficient 'Buy Canadian' rules and then you won't sound so self-serving.

I agree, so long as we're talking about rules vs. advertising. Encouraging Canadians (or Americans) to "buy Canadian/American" is a different thing altogether from a government requiring it. The latter is what Trump's been engaging in and it's a clear violation of international trade law.

Violation of International Trade law? How rich. Considering Canada enters American corporations and interferes with the free market and we are by far the most sued nation in the NAFTA grievance process. Canada is hardly the hallmark of free trade, they are the most protectionist and state run, they just aren't as overt about it.

F Ontario and the Canadian security apparatus, they caused much of the distrust. New York should have a buy American policy because this is what taxpayers and voters are demanding. If Ontario wants to do the same, go to town, Americas economy dwarfs Canada and all New York or anyone in America has to do is wait for Ontario to buckle under its own weight of debt and lack of innovation and growth. They can then get anything and everything in Ontario at a steep discount when the fire sale begins. Ontario will be begging for business once all they have is China and the odd EU nation as a customer.

I guess this is what we call "karma".

Lemmy @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:34 pm

!

shockedcanadian @ Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
Violation of International Trade law? How rich. Considering Canada enters American corporations and interferes with the free market and we are by far the most sued nation in the NAFTA grievance process. Canada is hardly the hallmark of free trade, they are the most protectionist and state run, they just aren't as overt about it.

You're nuts.

Keep your eye on the Canadian economy. Latest International rankings predict Canada drops from 17th, to 19th, by 2019, but that was before Trump was elected and the appetite of Americans for confronting those nations who have exploited America is at an all time high.

How much debt will Ontario amass? How many jobs lost? How much revenue will be shaved off of the books?

Let's hope those few Canadian companies who are operating in America don't experience the same level of interference American companies experience in Canada...or it will be a very dark decade indeed. I haven't been shy about expressing and sharing what I know, I even do Canada the honour of cc'ing them from time to time, and challenging them on these communications with Americans ad Europeans to contradict and defy what I am exposing. Only once did I receive a response that was a limp wristed effort to defend Canada, that from a politician, though of course he wouldn't deny my claims. That was from someone currently running for Conservative leadership (it's clear he wont win, thankfully).

Again, I guess this is just karma.

shockedcanadian @ Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:37 am

Here send him an email, let him know how important Ontario is:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/contact-iframe

I sent one already, advising him Ontario is on the cusp of bankruptcy, and, outlined how Toronto, Ontario and Canada more generally aren't trustworthy allies, nor a good location for American businesses. Let's all do our part to make our arguments directly to the stakeholders instead of arguing online. Maybe you will win and New York will decide to buy Ontarios garbage before we go belly up. Or, maybe not...

Public_Domain @ Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:53 am

Dude, they don't care! You're nothing! We're nothing! Get a couple million in the bank and then send an e-mail!

Lemmy @ Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 am

#

shockedcanadian @ Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:25 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Dude, they don't care! You're nothing! We're nothing! Get a couple million in the bank and then send an e-mail!

That's the Canadian spirit which is why Canada is the way we are "oh dats jsut da way it is eh, nothing we can do bout it". Maybe you're nothing and feel worthless, I'm not, I've been empowered through this decade long process. When I can provide names, details and specifics about what is being done, when I can encourage them to contact the FBI about what I tell them. believe it or not (I assume not because you're a Canadian who doesn't understand individual protections of rights) nations and politicians listen.

On it's own my messages might not make a difference, in conjunction with other information and details, everything matters.

Try it, send an email, live vicariously.

Public_Domain @ Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 am

Do you feel validated when you get those vague template responses thanking you for your input?

Yeah, our plutocratic leaders are such soul-sucking shitbags because we aren't sending enough letters, I'm sure that's it. Some next-level czarist appeal stuff.

Also I don't think "vicariously" means what you think it means.

shockedcanadian @ Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Do you feel validated when you get those vague template responses thanking you for your input?

Yeah, our plutocratic leaders are such soul-sucking shitbags because we aren't sending enough letters, I'm sure that's it. Some next-level czarist appeal stuff.

Also I don't think "vicariously" means what you think it means.

I do feel vindicated when I receive those. I also feel even more effective when I receive personal responses and call backs from assistants. In some cases very specific emails, hand written note (which he scanned) and signed in the response. That guy to me is in the right career, politics...but he's more than a politician he's a leader.

As I said, you wouldn't understand.

Mark Saunders and Vince Hawkes understand, I promise you that. The reason they don't care is because they know you don't care...until the economy falls off a cliff and then all bets are off. We have seen the TPS freeze hiring and learn to tighten their belt, that will be replicated across many police agencies. Then the finger pointing will begin.

1  2  Next