Navy begins probe into collision of U.S. destroyer in Southe

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Title: Navy begins probe into collision of U.S. destroyer in Southeast Asia
Category: Military
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2017-08-21 07:44:33

xerxes @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Sad that another situation like this has happened.

But what's going on with the Navy? Have they forgotten how to use radar or even their eyes?

Most of the officers of the USS Fitzgerald eneded their careers with the USN because of what happened. I imagine the same will happen again.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Semis.

DrCaleb @ Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:56 am

Some remains have been found. R=EM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/destoyer-c ... -1.4256857

BartSimpson @ Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 am

From what I am hearing the electronic steering control system inexplicably failed.

Forgive me if I am suspecting Chinese involvement.

xerxes @ Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 am

Things can fail at any time, usually the worst possible time.

CharlesAnthony @ Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 am

2 crashes in 2 months?????
This does not bode well for people who depend on the super-hero-Hollywood allure of the world's policemen. The Village People are not even afraid of the US navy!

Then again, it could be an accident.

BartSimpson @ Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:
2 crashes in 2 months?????
This does not bode well for people who depend on the super-hero-Hollywood allure of the world's policemen. The Village People are not even afraid of the US navy!

Then again, it could be an accident.

It's actually four crashes, two of which were deadly and then made the news.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... s-49355288

DrCaleb @ Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
From what I am hearing the electronic steering control system inexplicably failed.

Forgive me if I am suspecting Chinese involvement.

Fourth US Navy collision this year raises suspicion of cyber-attacks

BartSimpson @ Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 am

Yup.

herbie @ Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Yarggh! Get it together!
Surprised Little Kimmie isn't making videos mocking the Keystone Navy threat...

xerxes @ Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Whatever is happening, it's cost the commander of the 7th Fleet his job.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/23/us-navy-7th-fleet-commander-relieved-of-duty-uss-john-mccain-collision

rickc @ Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Whatever is happening, it's cost the commander of the 7th Fleet his job.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/23/us-navy-7th-fleet-commander-relieved-of-duty-uss-john-mccain-collision

Thats one thing about the military that always bothered me. Someone always has to go down. Who is in charge here? The Captain could be sleeping, and he would still take the heat because he is responsibile for everything that goes on. Nothing ever just "happens" in the military. There are no "accidents" in the military. Someone is always responsible. I remember I was getting ready to ship out to another base and we were having a party in a friends room in the barracks. The LE's (cops) showed up over a noise complaint. I admit things were out of control. A floor hockey match had broken out in the room when the night shift (most of who were on a hockey team) were released very early from work and showed up to to this quiet get together with cases of beer and bottles of Jack. The cops showed up demanding to know who was in charge. My friend stated: "no one is in charge, its a party!!!!" Everyone busted out laughing. The cops were not amused. They demanded to see everyones ID. They would have screwed the ranking man which just happened to be me. I would have been forbidden to ship out. You can't PCS (permanently change station) if you are under any disciplinary procedures. My friend stepped up and admitted it was his room. He stated that he would send everyone home, and there would be no further trouble. Our boss (Msgt) was waiting to chew our asses out at work the next day. The only one he could verify was there was my friend because it was his room. I can still hear him now. "What were you guys thinking acting like this with a major inspection team on base?" My friend had the perfect answer as always. "No one was thinking, it was a party!!!" Man I could not get off that base fast enough. Oddly enough my friend ended up staying in the military and making it a career. Go figure.

xerxes @ Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Go figure indeed.

But as for the admiral, one could quote Voltaire.....But i doubt he had anything to do with any of these collisions. But on the other hand, this is four USN ships now that have have been in collisions, two of which have been fatal. I don't have the link at the ready but you can read the preliminary report about the USS Fitzgerald and the navy placed the blame squarely on the senior officers. And that that's fair IMO. But now with four ships getting into trouble like this then there likely is some complacency setting leading to underperforming officers and sailors and that comes from the top.

DrCaleb @ Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:37 am

A really good, but long, write up from someone who has been on watch on a US Navy battleship:

With the USS McCain collision, even Navy tech can’t overcome human shortcomings

1  2  Next