1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Title: Canadian Union Says GM Warns of Production Shift to Mexico Over Strike
Category: Business
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2017-10-12 10:19:51
Canadian

shockedcanadian @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

One wonders what Ontario will look like after manufacturing is eliminated altogether.

Thanos @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Probably like the inside of your head.

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

You folks still in love with NAFTA now that it's moving Canadian jobs to Mexico? :?:

raydan @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

I thought that Trump said that these jobs will be moving back to the USA. :?

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

raydan raydan:
I thought that Trump said that these jobs will be moving back to the USA. :?

Mostly from Mexico.

Of course, that just means your GM jobs are going on a bit of a tour... :lol:

rickc @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 pm

I can't get the article to come up. Where is the strike?

raydan @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm

That's because the poster STILL doesn't know how to post a story... and he wonders why we don't trust him. 8O

BRAH @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Probably like the inside of your head.

That was my head after I touched my first naked boobies. I can remember it like it happened yesterday, she was an older woman, an educator who asked me to stay after class of course I did who wouldn't? Ah good times. [drool] [drool]

bootlegga @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
You folks still in love with NAFTA now that it's moving Canadian jobs to Mexico? :?:

Yes, because NAFTA still creates lots of good jobs and economic growth, for all three countries.

Mexico may be getting some low skilled manufacturing jobs (if they're not being eliminated via automation), but if they go there instead of China, we'll still keep some related jobs, like part manufacturing and so on.

BRAH @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Yes, because NAFTA still creates lots of good jobs and economic growth, for all three countries.

Mexico may be getting some low skilled manufacturing jobs (if they're not being eliminated via automation), but if they go there instead of China, we'll still keep some related jobs, like part manufacturing and so on.

Mexico has auto manufacturers knocking down their door to build production facilities and that's not going to China anytime soon because the cost of shipping from China can't be justified, for now. It's a scary thought when your vehicle domestic or import could one day be built in China.

DrCaleb @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:05 am

rickc rickc:
I can't get the article to come up. Where is the strike?

I can post a link, successfully. :idea:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/un ... -1.4305038

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/gm ... -1.4351282

BartSimpson @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 am

BRAH BRAH:
Mexico has auto manufacturers knocking down their door to build production facilities and that's not going to China anytime soon because the cost of shipping from China can't be justified, for now. It's a scary thought when your vehicle domestic or import could one day be built in China.

What's scary about buying cars from the same people who put melamine in baby formula? [huh]

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:22 am

And people wonder why these companies are relocating to Mexico?

$1:
Low labour costs and fewer tariffs are the swing factors. A worker in Mexico costs car companies an average of $8 an hour, including wages and benefits. That compares with $58 in the U.S. for General Motors and $38 at Volkswagen's factory in Tennessee, the lowest hourly cost in the U.S., according to the Center for Automotive Research, an industry think-tank in Ann Arbor, Michigan. German auto workers cost about $52 an hour.

Mexico also trumps the U.S. on free trade. It has agreements with 45 countries, meaning low tariffs for exporting globally. That, along with low labour costs, convinced Audi to build an SUV factory in the state of Puebla. The German automaker will save $6,000 per vehicle in tariffs when it ships a Q5 to Europe, compared with building the same vehicle in the U.S., says Sean McAlinden, chief economist at CAR.
Audi also sells the Q5 in the U.S., where tariffs on cars built in Mexico were dropped under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

The cost savings also should allow automakers to add expensive fuel-saving features to meet stricter U.S. government gas mileage requirements without raising car prices. Two-thirds of cars made in Mexico are shipped to the U.S.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/canada-s-lo ... -1.2337692

So how the hell do we compete with that? What people forget is that despite the commercials about mom, apple pie and the American way these companies are in the business for nothing but big profit and if you could build an auto factory on mars to make vehicles cheaper they'd be there now.

But on the plus side, I'm getting excited about buying my first $2,500 TATA Nano so I don't have to put up with any of those pesky addon's like............. safety features. [cheer]

herbie @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 pm

How is it more uncompetitive to ship cars built in China than say, Japan, Taiwan or Korea? The Japanese took the whole small car market away over 30 years ago, the Big 3 simply stuck Chevy, Ford, Dodge badges on some of them to compete. Just like they stuck them on English cars even before that. They'll use every dodge they can get.

Years back I got into the Kei car craze. One thing I learned is that if the Japanese had shipped those tinny pieces of shit here in the beginning, we'd be driving Pinto IIs and Vegas still. At the time I asked an East Indian friend why no one bought in ones from India. He came back from a trip and told me they were even shittier than the JDM ones, and had goddam 18HP engines instead of 45HP... said he'd make more selling the container and the cars in it for scrap

Can't think of any Free Trade arrangement that they wouldn't screw us with if Labour wages and practices aren't written into it.

1  2  Next