Canada Kicks Ass
Armed civilian kills gunman and stops shooting spree at Wash

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Title: Armed civilian kills gunman and stops shooting spree at Washington Walmart
Category: World
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-06-20 07:39:16

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Thank God he wasn't 140 miles or so to the north.

There would be a different headline.

Something like "Vancouver death toll continues to mount."

Prof_Chomsky @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 am

That's because in 'murica this type of mass shooting is just referred to as "last Tuesday"

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
That's because in Democrat owned and operated Chicago this type of mass shooting is just referred to as "last Tuesday"

FTFY.

N_Fiddledog @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I think my point was missed.

There would have been no good guy with a gun to take down the bad guy with a gun in Vancouver.

We still have shootings. A couple more young guys got shot just a few days ago as a matter of fact.

llama66 @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm so torn on Concealed Carry. On one hand good for them for stopping a shooting situation, on the other that's the Police's job. I don't know what to think, really.

N_Fiddledog @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm

$1:
What is the average-police-response-time to a 911 call?

According to American Police Beat, the average response time for an emergency call is 10 minutes. Atlanta has the worst response time with 11 to 12 minutes and Nashville comes in at a lightning speed of 9 minutes.

The Department of Justice, with their statistical prowess, reports that the best response time is 4 minutes and the worst over 1 hour. Interpretation? If you live in an upper income area you probably are privy to the 4 minute response time, while middle to rural areas will see a much longer response time.

Now here is where things get interesting. Even though the Department of Justice determined that the average police response time to a 911 call is 4 minutes, the average interaction time between a criminal and his victim is 90 seconds.

That translates to you being robbed/injured/maimed/raped/murdered and waiting for an additional 2 and a half minutes for the police to arrive. The truth of the matter is that the police will almost always arrive AFTER the crime has happened and the criminal has gone.

The truth is that the police are not your body guards. They cannot be at all places at once.

http://www.self-defense-mind-body-spiri ... -time.html

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 pm

llama66 llama66:
I'm so torn on Concealed Carry. On one hand good for them for stopping a shooting situation, on the other that's the Police's job. I don't know what to think, really.

Concealed carry reflects the fact that you are your own first responder.

See, in both your country and mine the police are under no obligation whatsoever to protect you or anyone else and a myriad of court decisions make this abundantly clear.

So it is NOT the job of the police to be there to stop a shooting. Even if they happen to be there they're still not obligated to do anything.

Therefore in a growing number of states in the USA people are again securing for themselves the right to keep and to bear arms in their defense and in the defense of others.

In Canada you're pretty much on your own when something happens but you can rest assured that the police will show up later to document the crime scene and then maybe someday find the person who shot you.

llama66 @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:27 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:

Concealed carry reflects the fact that you are your own first responder.

See, in both your country and mine the police are under no obligation whatsoever to protect you or anyone else and a myriad of court decisions make this abundantly clear.

So it is NOT the job of the police to be there to stop a shooting. Even if they happen to be there they're still not obligated to do anything.

Therefore in a growing number of states in the USA people are again securing for themselves the right to keep and to bear arms in their defense and in the defense of others.

In Canada you're pretty much on your own when something happens but you can rest assured that the police will show up later to document the crime scene and then maybe someday find the person who shot you.

I am completely aware. I have trust issues. I'm not sure if I trust others or my self to react in a manner that doesn't get an innocent killed.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm

llama66 llama66:
I am completely aware. I have trust issues. I'm not sure if I trust others or my self to react in a manner that doesn't get an innocent killed.

Well, so far in the US as one jurisdiction after another has embraced concealed carry and Constitutional carry (meaning you don't need a permit) crime rates have dropped.

Which creates the paradoxical situation in which as more people carry guns the less they need them.

BeaverFever @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:05 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Thank God he wasn't 140 miles or so to the north.

There would be a different headline.

Something like "Vancouver death toll continues to mount."

Hey Einstein 140 miles to the north the Wal-Mart shooting spree doesn’t happen in the first place. Funny how you guys give gunmen the credit for the rare times they stop one of America’s everyday shooting spreess but never for starting them all.

herbie @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

That because the only people running about with guns are cops or actual bad guys like gang members. We're not in total social collapse like that failed state to the south with it's flawed constitution.
Chances of this happening at WalMart in Vancouver aren't worth thinking about.

BeaverFever @ Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:12 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:

Well, so far in the US as one jurisdiction after another has embraced concealed carry and Constitutional carry (meaning you don't need a permit) crime rates have dropped.

Which creates the paradoxical situation in which as more people carry guns the less they need them.

Crime rates have been dropping for 40 years everywhere including Canada, there is no correlation between liberalized gun laws and crime rates.

DrCaleb @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:44 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:

Even though it's illegal to carry here, there are still incidents of people being threatened with and shot at with handguns in road rage incidents.

I kind of share Llamas trepidation. We don't normally have to worry about shooting incidents, and it's the ones who self-arm that end up causing the trouble.

llama66 @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 am

I get self arming for self protection (there is a really cool story here), I really do. It's just I fear people not responding correctly or worse, over reacting to a situation. I know people who I'd have no problem if the concealed carry, and there are people I know that I wouldn't trust with potato cannon.

1  2  Next