Crime in rural Alberta a 'meth-fuelled epidemic'

Newsbot @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Title: Crime in rural Alberta a 'meth-fuelled epidemic'
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2018-06-22 11:39:44
Canadian

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Anybody else see the mind game queston in Staff Sgt Mark Groves response? If Rushton ran to a neighbours house to call the RCMP. How did he know the perps had left Rushton's home?

If you live in the country you'd better be well armed because if poor little Evan is any example the crackheads are and one of these times it's going to be a blood bath especially since the cops can't or won't respond quickly enough because they don't want to run into these well armed crackheads.

Yet the gov't wants to take the guns away from the farmers leaving them defenseless when attacked by armed intruders and robbers. I guess removing the farmers weapons would go alongway in fixing the gov't problem of over representation by people like Evan Foureyes in our prison system.

I hate to say it but it's becoming a little like 1980's Zimbabwe especially with the gov'ts response to these scenario's?

Thanos @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Some good news today in that charges (which never should have been filed in the first place) were dropped against another rural homeowner who injured some worthless meth-head skell in a separate robbery incident:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/o ... -1.4716423

$1:
ll charges have been dropped against a rural Alberta homeowner accused of shooting a trespasser on his property near Okotoks.

Eddie Maurice, 33, was charged after a suspected thief was wounded when shots were fired on Maurice's property on Feb. 24.

On Friday morning at the Okotoks courthouse, Crown prosecutor Jim Sawa withdrew charges of aggravated assault, pointing a firearm and careless use of a firearm.

He said Crown has conceded there is no reasonable likelihood of conviction because of new information that had just come to light.

The courtroom erupted in applause at that news.

Maurice had said all along that when he saw thieves on his property, he fired a warning shot, and that it was a ricochet bullet that struck the intruder.

On Friday, Sawa said the Crown had recently received a firearms report supporting that story.

"That information was compelling, to say the least, and it had a direct impact on the decision today to withdraw the charges," he said.

Sawa said he isn't able to elaborate on the report because of the two ongoing prosecutions of the alleged trespassers.

Maurice spoke to reporters outside a short time after the charges against him were dropped.

"I never really have had to encounter or endure anything like this. It's just overwhelming the people who have taken the time just to come out and support this," he said. "It's really kept our heads above water."

Supporters have rallied at each of Maurice's previous court appearances, framing the case around the issue of rural landowners' rights to defend their property.

The situation fuelled debate about how far rural landowners can go when faced with those situations.

Next up, a rise in the number of farmers and acreage owners shooting invaders to death and not reporting anything at all to the police because shoot-shovel-shut up is the only way to keep them from being persecuted by the law for defending their families in a socially "unapproved" manner.

BartSimpson @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Memo to rural Canadians who have to defend against scumbag brigands:

SHOOT, SHOVEL, SILENCE. :wink:

Robair @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Yet the gov't wants to take the guns away from the farmers leaving them defenseless when attacked by armed intruders and robbers.

News to me.

herbie @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:01 pm

$1:
Maurice had said all along that when he saw thieves on his property, he fired a warning shot, and that it was a ricochet bullet that struck the intruder.

That's why charges were dropped. If he'd shot AT them intending to injure, he would've been charged.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:47 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Memo to rural Canadians who have to defend against scumbag brigands:

SHOOT, SHOVEL, SILENCE. :wink:

I don't know what you are talking about. Image ;)

Robair Robair:
Yet the gov't wants to take the guns away from the farmers leaving them defenseless when attacked by armed intruders and robbers.

News to me.
Robair Robair:

News to me.

Yup. Never heard of it till now.