Canada Kicks Ass
FORD AND PCs WIN: Court of Appeal grants stay of ruling on c

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Title: FORD AND PCs WIN: Court of Appeal grants stay of ruling on cutting council
Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2018-09-19 17:12:41
Canadian

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

So this renders the debate over the notwithstanding clause moot, it would seem.

Coach85 @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:02 pm

And the left goes silent...

herbie @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 pm

About Ford being such a fucking moron he threatened to invoke the notwithstanding clause over a lower court ruling?
Just lucky it was so early in his term people will know he jumped the gun and not the shark!

PluggyRug @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Flood alert in Toronto. Seems like the sewers are overloaded with Liberal tears.

BeaverFever @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Always reveling in thy “tears” of the “other”. Conservatives are so hateful and toxic.

Coach85 @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Always reveling in thy “tears” of the “other”. Conservatives are so hateful and toxic.

Don't hurt yourself when you fall off that horse.

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Hate to say I told you so Beave but...

Ok, that's a fib. I love it. :D So, one more time. Add this one to the multitudes. You were wrong again. About ten pages of wrong this time, wasn't it?

Wrongity, wrong, wrong.

King of wrong. And wrong with a snotty attitude so you deserve every wrong you're getting here.

I told you, you were wrong. Faith Goldy told you, you were wrong. Coach told you, you were wrong. I can't even remember how many tried to help you understand how deep you were in the wrong this time.

We were all like...

uwish @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:06 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Flood alert in Toronto. Seems like the sewers are overloaded with Liberal tears.

The snowflakes are melting!

herbie @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am

WTF does this have to do with "liberals"?
I don't give a flying fuck how many council seats Toronto has, that's Toronto/Ontario's decision to make. The Appeal Court's just said so.
I objected on the grounds of using this flaw in the Constitution for such a petty and premature reason, on the grounds of sheer assholiness to get his way.

Prof_Chomsky @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 pm

I with you Herb.
I couldn't give 2 fucks how many seats the city council has. Hell, it may be better with less. But no one should have the right to fuck with an election once it's already begun. The potential ramifications of this usage of "Not Withstanding" are mind boggling.

llama66 @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 pm

This is my problem with this. The Election had already began. Do not fucking fuck with a fucking ongoing fucking election.

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
I with you Herb.
I couldn't give 2 fucks how many seats the city council has. Hell, it may be better with less. But no one should have the right to fuck with an election once it's already begun. The potential ramifications of this usage of "Not Withstanding" are mind boggling.

Sorry guys but he didn't "fuck with an election once it's already begun".

This was announced before the municipal elections were ready to start and given he was only elected on the 29th of June makes it tough for him to enact legislation before he became Premier.

$1:
Ford to slash Toronto city council to 25 councillors from 47, sources say
By ROBERT BENZIEQueen's Park Bureau Chief
Thu., July 26, 2018
$1:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... s-say.html

He then tabled the legislation to reduce the size of city council on the 31st of July 2018.

https://www.680news.com/video/2018/07/3 ... y-council/

So it's on the Toronto City Council for fighting the legislation and dragging the inevitable out with appeals till the election was ready to begin just so they could make the claim that he's doing it during an election.

It's also on the people who invested their time and money on an election campaign when the writing was on the wall. Their mistaken belief that the City of Toronto would automatically win the appeal is the reason they're in the situation they are. To put it mildly these would be politicians gambled and lost which, when you think about it isn't a trait you'd want in any politician.

Now if they wish to continue in their quest for a seat they'll have to put even more effort into securing one of the reduced ones.

BeaverFever @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:13 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Hate to say I told you so Beave but...

Ok, that's a fib. I love it. :D So, one more time. Add this one to the multitudes. You were wrong again. About ten pages of wrong this time, wasn't it?

Wrongity, wrong, wrong.

King of wrong. And wrong with a snotty attitude so you deserve every wrong you're getting here.

I told you, you were wrong. Faith Goldy told you, you were wrong. Coach told you, you were wrong. I can't even remember how many tried to help you understand how deep you were in the wrong this time.

We were all like...

What was I wrong about? I didn’t say he would lose in court Doesn’t make his ugliness thug tactics for such a meaningless change any more right and he burned a lot of political capital for nothing So much for a honeymoon period.

Thanos @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't think he wanted a truce to begin with. This is what Newt Gingrich did when the GOP took over the Congress back in the mid-1990's. They ran through all the really controversial stuff in the first hundred days, didn't care what the Democrats said about it, and dared Bill Clinton to veto it. Can't call it thug tactics when it's all constitutionally legal but it sure is a different style of hardball.

1  2  Next