America Finally Admits Recycling Doesn�t Work

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:41 am

Title: America Finally Admits Recycling Doesn�t Work
Category: Environmental
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2019-03-22 21:45:02

BeaverFever @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:41 am

Omce again another Koch brothers-funded right wing think tank distorts the news. Nowhere does the NYT article say recycling �doesn�t work� or that the very recent challenges have always existed (as suggested by saying �finally admits�)

The real story: Costs of recycling have increased due to recent events, not �recycling doesn�t work�.

The recent events are that China, a major buyer of Western countries� recycling, has stopped accepting overseas recycling because it contains too much garbage and they are cracking down. At the same time, falling oil prices have meant that certain types of plastic are cheaper to manufacture new than from recycled materials.

So there�s a problem with municipalities not properly sorting their recycling and there�s a temporary problem due to market forces. Both can be addressed Regarding the former, Part of the problem is that esxh municipality has its own rules and programs and things that are accepted in one town are not accepted in the next town. There should be one universal standard and proper resources should be made available to run the programs properly.

But recycling only deals with the discharge end of the waste cycle, we need to really go back to the source and holding companies accountable for the waste they produce like excess packaging, which is a real problem. Something that fits in the palm of your hand doesn�t need to come in a box that a homeless person can live inside. The key to curbing all this excess waste is to produce less of it in the first place.

DrCaleb @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:18 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Something that fits in the palm of your hand doesn�t need to come in a box that a homeless person can live inside. The key to curbing all this excess waste is to produce less of it in the first place.

^^^

It's tough, but reducing the waste we generate is possible.

I mean, how much do you want to spend on things you throw out? My recycling volume exceeds my garbage by a vast amount. I don't even toss food waste, I compost or leave the edible bits out for the magpies.

Fighter @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 am

Sweden's recycling program is so effective that the country keeps running out of trash.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1947652818833559

peck420 @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:19 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Our recent marijuana legalization needs to resolve this immediately.

These peeps are licensed. Let the client bring a jar/container, they fill it, they seal it, client goes home and enjoys. No mountain of plastic involved.

If caught in transit, accessible by the driver, easy...seal good, or seal broken. Just as evidential as the plastic container.

DrCaleb @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:14 am

peck420 peck420:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Our recent marijuana legalization needs to resolve this immediately.

These peeps are licensed. Let the client bring a jar/container, they fill it, they seal it, client goes home and enjoys. No mountain of plastic involved.

If caught in transit, accessible by the driver, easy...seal good, or seal broken. Just as evidential as the plastic container.

Agreed. The adult proof lids on many of those containers make them un-reusable.

DrCaleb @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:15 am

And . . . the containers appear to be triple the size required too.

Thanos @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Certain aspects of recycling are terrific, like the now traditional system of deposit bottles & cans. Same too with recycling of large cardboard and plastic packaging. Other parts of it have gone way too far though. We now have a state of affairs where the municipalities have "inspectors" checking to make sure that you've spend a good portion of your free time organizing your trash properly and, if you haven't, they have the power to give you a nice smiley Big Sister warning to do it right, or else. Yes, they're now literally bothering people in Calgary (for example) to make sure the dog shit goes into the compost bin instead of the garbage.

This is insanity, and it always happens whenever the goddamn politicians give too much influence to the damn SJWs with OCD who have no intention of ever leaving anyone alone, ever, even over the most nonsensical things. Insanity, and the only thing crazier is the disinterested body politic doing nothing during elections to kick these kinds of idiots out of office.

herbie @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:14 pm

$1:
America Finally Admits It Doesn�t Work

FTFY

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:18 am

Recycling works if done correctly. Personally, I love recycling. I have a blue bin, and a compost bin. I do more trips down to the recycling and compost area (I live in an apartment) than I do to the garbage chute. We have about 30 large bins at our building for recycling, and five more for compost. They are almost always filled to the brim!

-J.

Strutz @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:24 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Recycling works if done correctly. Personally, I love recycling. I have a blue bin, and a compost bin. I do more trips down to the recycling and compost area (I live in an apartment) than I do to the garbage chute. We have about 30 large bins at our building for recycling, and five more for compost. They are almost always filled to the brim!

-J.

We recycle all that we can in our complex's provided bins as well and what we can't do there we accumulate and then take to the city works yard for recycling (plastic wrap and bags, foam trays from meat and other misc stuff). We end up with very little to go into the garbage can.

I just wish more people in my complex understood how to sort their recycling. It's frustrating to see plastic bags in the compost bin and containers bin and other misplaced items.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Strutz Strutz:
I just wish more people in my complex understood how to sort their recycling. It's frustrating to see plastic bags in the compost bin and containers bin and other misplaced items.

I hear ya. We've had people jam pizza boxes into the compost bins, and try to shove electronics in the paper bins.

People are lazy, even though the city dump/recycling centre (that takes almost anything) is only a few blocks away from our building.

I've taken old batteries and old propane cylinders there because it's made very easy.

-J.

herbie @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Had a hell of the time with the kids who worked for me in my shop tossing their pop cans. Had a separate bin with a clear bag, rules were rinse them out put them in there. If none of the lazy little bastards wanted to take them to the bottle depot and stock more pop in the fridge, then I'd just set it out in front of the shop and the winos would within 10 minutes.
Dunno how many kids I had to tell "It's not about the goddam nickel!"

Biggest fuckup in history was getting rid of the stubbies. The "freedom" of beer companies to market their product was more important than the environment of the citizens. So now we pay a "recycling fee" on top of the deposit to sort all those different beer bottles.

llama66 @ Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am

Fighter Fighter:
Sweden's recycling program is so effective that the country keeps running out of trash.

Facebook is not a credible source. For anything.

PluggyRug @ Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:53 am

llama66 llama66:
Fighter Fighter:

Facebook is not a credible source. For anything.

Yup...Facebook is a repository not a source, or would that be a depository?

1  2  Next