NHL Draft Vancouver: Where to go and how to enjoy it this we

Newsbot @ Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am

Title: NHL Draft Vancouver: Where to go and how to enjoy it this weekend
Category: Sports
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2019-06-21 10:39:32
Canadian

N_Fiddledog @ Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am

And this morning from Vancouver where the second round of the draft is happening we have this:

Like the guy said New Jersey are making out like bandits at the draft. Jack Hughes was the # 1 pick and he'll most likely play this year. And they cap that off with a trade of Subban for scraps. Go, New Jersey. Wish we were you.

N_Fiddledog @ Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:22 pm

$1:
Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have acquired centre J.T. Miller from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for goaltender Marek Mazanec, a 2019 third round pick and a 2020 conditional pick.

Miller, 26, recorded 47 points (13-34-47) in 75 games for the Lightning in 2018-19. The 6-1, 218-pound centre also netted a career-high 20 power play points. His 34 assists on the season tied a career-high and his 47 points was his third highest total in a single season.

Selected by the Rangers with the No. 15 pick of the 2011 NHL Draft, the East Palestine, OH, native has recorded 237 points (95 goals, 142 assists) in 435 regular-season games, and 26 points (three goals, 23 assists) in 61 playoff games.

Speaking as a Canucks fan...

JT Miller is top 6. We need that to support the Bo Horvath or Pettersson lines. I like that.

But then there's the 2020 conditional # 1 pick going to Tampa Bay. Not sure how I feel about that one. If we don't make the playoffs next year TB could win the draft lottery and get one of the top three. They say those picks will be game-changing elites next year. If that happens we Canuck fans will be hating Jim Benning forever.

N_Fiddledog @ Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm

On the other hand if we make the playoffs next year and make a trade sometime this or next year for somebody else's first and that one wins the lottery we'll be carrying Jim around on our shoulders like Daenerys at Yunkai.

xerxes @ Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:41 pm

I’m not too happy with this trade. Benning seems to have a penchant for mediocre forwards.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 am

xerxes xerxes:
I’m not too happy with this trade. Benning seems to have a penchant for mediocre forwards.

The term I hear is "Secondary scoring."

Also they seem to be going for grit and character. I like that better than the term we used to hear, which was "soft as butter."