Category: World
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2019-09-04 11:51:34

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm

So does this mean we won?

peck420 @ Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Until you hear that Hong Kong no longer belongs to China, they have won a reprieve from today's battle, but not the war.

China has been moving loyal Chinese into Hong Kong since they took over from the UK. They jumped the gun with this issue, thinking they had moved enough people to make it the majority. I highly suspect that they will just go back to that program, and we will see a loyal Chinese Hong Kong in a decade or so.

stratos @ Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:15 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Let's wait and see. If the protests continue then we know the People of Hong Kong don't think they have.

xerxes @ Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:

Likely a temporary victory.

I imagine China is going to let the ruckus die down and try again a year from now. Then they’ll have move soldiers and tanks ready to crush any protests right away.

stratos @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 pm

I know its a crapy link but from the headlines it looks like the protests are still going on.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong

this is from 2 days ago so before the announcement. Just shows how volatile and chaotic the situation is.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho ... ORM=VDRVRV

peck420 @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Frak, I can't find the image now, but it summed up the protesters thoughts rather well.

It was a ghosted image of an open hand, with a solid image of a hand giving the middle finger overlaid on top.

Stated that all 5 points must be met (the primary protest points), or none are accepted.

stratos @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm

If you find it please post it Peck. Sounds awesome. I would love to see it.

BartSimpson @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm

One component of this issue that got brought up on another forum is that Hong Kong and China are considered separate entities by the international banking community. Had China invaded to force itself on the province then that independence would be gone and China's ability to launder funds through Hong Kong would be at an end.

Turns out China actually needs an autonomous Hong Kong for their economic model to function.

peck420 @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Found it!

stratos @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Dam that is good. Thanks Peck [B-o]

llama66 @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:27 am

We shall see how much of a reprieve this gets Hong Kong, if any.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:36 am

llama66 llama66:
We shall see how much of a reprieve this gets Hong Kong, if any.

China being the duplicitous little shits that they are probably have something very unpleasant lined up for Hong Kong.

For some reason they brought in this latest "normal troop rotation" by RORO while every other troop transfer had been done via road which, when combined with the fact that no one's seems to have seen anyone dressed in the olive drab of a PLA uniform leaving via convoy doesn't bode well for Hong Kong.