Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian officials honour Nazi collaborators in Ukraine, ang

Newsbot @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Title: Canadian officials honour Nazi collaborators in Ukraine, angering Jewish groups
Category: Political
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2019-09-19 16:50:22
Canadian

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:53 pm

And the Trudeau gov't keeps rolling right along into the next election. The only people they haven't offended yet are the Muslims. But, given their track record I expect that to change before we get to the polls. [bash]

BeaverFever @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 pm

So if you read the article you would see that the ceremony was planned by Canadian and Ukrainian Jewish groups in cooperation with the Ukrainian government to help memorialize a Jewish Ukrainian graveyard. The Canadian government was simply an attendee.

The monument to the alleged Nazi collaborators was a compromise those Jewish groups made with the Ukrainian government.

Thanos @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Bad sign of how things in Ukraine are right now for Jews if they have to compromise on recognition for a bunch of fucking hiwis that were auxiliary to the goddamn einsatzgruppen. :evil:

herbie @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Walked into the kitchen at a niece's wedding to hear my brother in laws relatives from Poland berating him "You let your daughter marry a Jew?"
I know my jaw dropped, my drink almost went with it. Europeans are way more prejudiced than we are. I know, I was married to a Scot and her family considered me half-white.

BTW she didn't marry a Jew, he was some weird Christian sect that kept some Jewish traditions and dietary laws.

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
So if you read the article you would see that the ceremony was planned by Canadian and Ukrainian Jewish groups in cooperation with the Ukrainian government to help memorialize a Jewish Ukrainian graveyard. The Canadian government was simply an attendee.

The monument to the alleged Nazi collaborators was a compromise those Jewish groups made with the Ukrainian government.

And you obviously missed this part.

$1:
The Canadian Forces and Global Affairs Canada are facing criticism after honouring members of Ukrainian organizations that helped the Nazis in the Second World War.

Canada’s Ambassador to Ukraine Roman Waschuk spoke at an Aug. 21 ceremony that unveiled a monument in Sambir to honour members of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA), two groups that are linked to the killing of tens of thousands of Jews and Poles.

The event has been condemned by the Simon Wiesenthal Centre and the Ukrainian Jewish Committee who warn the memorial whitewashes the role of Ukrainian collaborators in the Holocaust.

“All Jews of Sambir were murdered by Nazis and their collaborators from OUN and UPA,” Eduard Dolinsky, director-general of the Ukrainian Jewish Committee based in Kiev, told Postmedia.

So, to be quite honest I could give a shit about which Jews went to ceremony with the Ukranians and fostered this disgrace because Foreign Affairs Canadian in it's attempt to get positive press went with open arms to a ceremony that was mired in controversy from the day it was conceived.

They should have been much more politically sensitive and declined the offer to participate because now, they've managed to piss off not only the Jews of organizations like the Simon Wiesenthal Center but a bunch of Canadians in the process.

BeaverFever @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

$1:
The Canadian Forces and Global Affairs Canada are facing criticism after honouring members of Ukrainian organizations that helped the Nazis in the Second World War.

Canada’s Ambassador to Ukraine Roman Waschuk spoke at an Aug. 21 ceremony that unveiled a monument in Sambir to honour members of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA), two groups that are linked to the killing of tens of thousands of Jews and Poles.

The event has been condemned by the Simon Wiesenthal Centre and the Ukrainian Jewish Committee who warn the memorial whitewashes the role of Ukrainian collaborators in the Holocaust.

“All Jews of Sambir were murdered by Nazis and their collaborators from OUN and UPA,” Eduard Dolinsky, director-general of the Ukrainian Jewish Committee based in Kiev, told Postmedia.

So, to be quite honest I could give a shit about which Jews went to ceremony with the Ukranians and fostered this disgrace because Foreign Affairs Canadian in it's attempt to get positive press went with open arms to a ceremony that was mired in controversy from the day it was conceived.

They should have been much more politically sensitive and declined the offer to participate because now, they've managed to piss off not only the Jews of organizations like the Simon Wiesenthal Center but a bunch of Canadians in the process.

So you’re saying the Canadian government should have presumed to lecture the Canadian and Ukrainian Jews on what is and isn’t anti-semitic, and what is and isn’t acceptable way to memorialize Jewish history in the Ukraine? :roll:

These Jewish groups were very happy to organize this event, if other Jewish groups have a problem they can settle this among themselves.

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:55 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

$1:

So you’re saying the Canadian government should have presumed to lecture the Canadian and Ukrainian Jews on what is and isn’t anti-semitic, and what is and isn’t acceptable way to memorialize Jewish history in the Ukraine? :roll:

These Jewish groups were very happy to organize this event, if other Jewish groups have a problem they can settle this among themselves.

Where did you get that I wanted them to lecture anyone? So, the answer is no. They shouldn't have lectured anyone on anything. They should have politely declined the invitation to a ceremony doomed to controversy from the start.

BTW those Jewish Groups who supported this were the ones living in the Ukraine and likely did so only to prevent other problems related to their religion. As a Canadian gov't official you have a choice of what you attend and if it's this controversial the wise course of action would be to decline. Hell if the PM can pick and choose what debates he goes to why can't the Ambassador to the Ukraine do the same for ceremonies?

BeaverFever @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:18 am

Sigh. Let’s try that one again

So you’re saying the Canadian government should have presumed to tell the Canadian and Ukrainian Jews on what is and isn’t anti-semitic, and what is and isn’t acceptable way to memorialize Jewish history in the Ukraine?

The Jews need to be protected from themselves because they don’t know any better I guess? The members this Ukrainian Jewish group that organized it are the actual survivors of what happened in the Ukraine and their their descendants. Nobody knows better than them what is or isn’t acceptable. Not even the Simon Wiesenthal centre.

llama66 @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:56 am

$1:
So you’re saying the Canadian government should have presumed to lecture the Canadian and Ukrainian Jews on what is and isn’t anti-semitic, and what is and isn’t acceptable way to memorialize Jewish history in the Ukraine?

why not. the lecture everyone else on what's good and not good for them. This government is a group of Sanctimonious asshats.

You clearly think its fine for our, OUR government to attend something that "honoured" the people who round up and exterminated Jews like they were some sort of rodent.

It would have been far better for the Government to decline, but then it's Freeland's dept, and we know her Grandpa and the Nazi's were close.

Sometime a read of the room is necessary. Sometimes it's ok to ask, "what are the consequences"?

It was a dumb move, especially considering it's Holocaust or the Jewish plight during WW2 related. Its automatically a fucking Thermonuclear hot potato.

stratos @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:13 am

I find it perplexing that neo-nazi's are vilified at home (rightly so) yet is okay to go and attend a get together with Nazi's is an another country. I would hope that someone in the Govt. would have questioned it. The optics alone are horrendously bad.