Nenshi bows out after 3 terms as Calgary mayor | CBC News

Newsbot @ Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Title: Nenshi bows out after 3 terms as Calgary mayor | CBC News
Category: Political
Posted By: JaredMilne
Date: 2021-04-06 19:33:59
Canadian

uwish @ Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Probably time, I voted for him twice but I would not vote for him again. I think he said it best, time for new blood. But, it seems in any level of politics, you have to be careful what you wish for. We often get governments we deserve, not ones we want.

Thanos @ Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 pm

I gained some respect for Nenshi at the end. His classic big mouth was needed to tell some of these anti-mask/anti-distancing jackasses & Karens around this city who've been acting like selfish pricks with COVID for over a year now to get their shit together and think about others for a change. There's no point in being polite with people like that and they deserve to get ripped for the way they've been behaving.

I'd say Nenshi's overall legacy is a very mixed bag. He did a lot of things I really didn't like, such as when the city reneged on relocating a trailer park community as they'd promised when the original site had to be decommissioned because the sewer drains were so old and could no longer be maintained properly. That one really made me mad because those were low income people that got the shaft, the kind of folks who are already on a knife's edge and sure didn't need city hall pulling the carpet out from underneath them after a deal had already been made to help them.

I didn't ever vote for Nenshi, mostly because I didn't like the goofy cult of personality that was formed around him. I haven't ever been given a real reason to regret that decision either. I guess he'll fall into the category of one of the unique personalities to occupy Calgary's mayors office. Other than that it's not good riddance as much as it is moving on to the next performer I suppose. :|

llama66 @ Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 am

Who's going to be Mayor next? Farkas?

JaredMilne @ Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 am

Thanos Thanos:
I gained some respect for Nenshi at the end. His classic big mouth was needed to tell some of these anti-mask/anti-distancing jackasses & Karens around this city who've been acting like selfish pricks with COVID for over a year now to get their shit together and think about others for a change. There's no point in being polite with people like that and they deserve to get ripped for the way they've been behaving.

I'd say Nenshi's overall legacy is a very mixed bag. He did a lot of things I really didn't like, such as when the city reneged on relocating a trailer park community as they'd promised when the original site had to be decommissioned because the sewer drains were so old and could no longer be maintained properly. That one really made me mad because those were low income people that got the shaft, the kind of folks who are already on a knife's edge and sure didn't need city hall pulling the carpet out from underneath them after a deal had already been made to help them.

I didn't ever vote for Nenshi, mostly because I didn't like the goofy cult of personality that was formed around him. I haven't ever been given a real reason to regret that decision either. I guess he'll fall into the category of one of the unique personalities to occupy Calgary's mayors office. Other than that it's not good riddance as much as it is moving on to the next performer I suppose. :|

Out of curiosity, was there anything he did that you did like besides telling off the anti-maskers? You mention considering his legacy a mixed bag, but was there anything else on the positive side of the ledger for you?

I live just outside Edmonton so it obviously didn't affect me, but I had to admit I was annoyed by the tantrums he showed on some issues, like when the Notley government attached a plebiscite string to provincial funding of his Olympic bid, or when people criticized the city's public art process. According to the article I posted, it mentioned that Nenshi slashed the overall city budget. What did he cut?

bootlegga @ Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am

Hopefully whoever wins in October won't be an UCP stooge, but given the recent changes to municipal elections, you can expect a ton of dark money funding some stooge like Bill Smith again.

I have a feeling Edmonton is going to get a UCP stooge, because Mike Nichols is going to benefit from those election changes. I wasn't a fan of Iveson, but Nichols would be a disaster for Edmonton.

Sunnyways @ Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:19 pm

I heard him on an end of year political trivia show against two journalists. They didn’t stand a chance. I’m still surprised he had such a successful career in Calgary politics.