Canada Kicks Ass
Ontario government uses notwithstanding clause to pass elect

Newsbot @ Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:28 pm

Title: Ontario government uses notwithstanding clause to pass election advertising bill | National Post
Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2021-06-15 13:45:41
Canadian

DrCaleb @ Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:28 pm

If it actually keeps big money, that can't participate in Democracy, out of elections then I am all for it.

Scape @ Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:30 pm

If you define big money as Unions only then yes.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:53 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
If it actually keeps big money, that can't participate in Democracy, out of elections then I am all for it.

So, you are for the dismantlement of democracy and freedom then?

Noted.

-J.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:09 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

So, you are for the dismantlement of democracy and freedom then?

Noted.

-J.

How is it you take what I write in exactly the opposite context I write it? [huh]

Big business cannot vote. Therefore they should have no participation in democracy. Is that clear enough?

Just have a look to the south at things like PACs and SuperPACs as a lesson.

$1:
The role of the PR industry in elections is explicitly to undermine the school-child version of democracy. What you learn in school is that democracies are based on informed voters making rational decisions. All you have to do is take a look at an electoral campaign run by the PR industry and see that the purpose is to create uninformed voters who will make irrational decisions. For the PR industry that's a very easy transition from their primary function. Their primary function is commercial advertising. Commercial advertising is designed to undermine markets. If you took an economics course you learned that markets are based on informed consumers making rational choices. If you turn on the TV set, you see that ads are designed to create irrational, uninformed consumers making irrational choices. The whole purpose is to undermine markets in the technical sense.

https://www.salon.com/2013/08/17/chomsk ... democracy/

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:27 am

Scape Scape:
If you define big money as Unions only then yes.

Facebook? Cambridge Analyitca? Ring any bells?

llama66 @ Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:21 am

Democracy=Demo|cracy=Demo (People)| cracy (Rule). Tell me where a business is considered a person?

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:47 am

llama66 llama66:
Tell me where a business is considered a person?

Actually, the courts have ruled that Corporations are persons, when it comes to certain rights, like speech and crime.

But they have not ruled that they are 'citizens' when it comes to voting. :idea:

llama66 @ Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 am

So, for the purpose of the definition of the word democracy, Corporations are not people.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:06 am

I prefer to think it in terms of 'citizenship'. Voting is the right of a citizen. You may be a 'person' in Canada (immigrant, temporary worker, etc.), but if you are not a 'citizen', you can't participate in Democracy.