Newsbot @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Title: Here's why teen killer and rapist Paul Bernardo was denied parole
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2021-06-22 16:04:56
Canadian

Strutz @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm

He's a useless POS.

That bitch that helped him should be in jail where she belongs as well.

$1:
The lawyer noted the families don't oppose Bernardo being integrated into the general prison population — he's currently mostly in solitary confinement. But the board said it sees issues with his safety.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.6074962

Of course they won't oppose it. I say put him in general population. Fuck his safety.

Scape @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:53 pm

They are both monsters but we needed one to turn on the other to have a shot at a conviction. Otherwise, we would never have known where the bodies were.

Killing is too good for the social deviant but emotion should not have a hand in justice. He needs to be treated as the anomaly that he is and dealt with as such. Just like Manson.

Scape @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:55 pm

Remember, he had them chopped up and put in concrete. There was no way that was going to be found without a snitch.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:04 pm

Strutz Strutz:
I say put him in general population. Fuck his safety.

[B-o]

He deserves no less for what he did.

-J.

xerxes @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Scape Scape:
They are both monsters but we needed one to turn on the other to have a shot at a conviction. Otherwise, we would never have known where the bodies were.

Killing is too good for the social deviant but emotion should not have a hand in justice. He needs to be treated as the anomaly that he is and dealt with as such. Just like Manson.

I’m generally opposed to the death penalty. But people like Bernardo are beyond hope and they need to be culled.

Scape @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:46 pm

No argument there and if it was only him then I would be fine with that but what about then next one?

It's like the example of Libya when they gave up WMD on the promise not to be invaded and then we did anyway. Think Kim Jong is gonna jump at the chance to work with us?

It sets a precedent, if we kill him we have no right to ask then next murder to 'trust us' so we can get the other one behind bars.

Thanos @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Could have made a much better trade with the death penalty though, one that would have bagged the same sentence for that c**t Homolka. Tell Bernardo they have enough evidence to put a needle in his arm. That little weasel and his lawyer would have immediately coughed up that wife of his as a full co-murderer as well as the location of the bodies. And they would have got him to fully divulge what they'd done to Homolka's sister, who ended up as the forgotten victim. The reward would have been much better in the end, and not have the embarrassment of Homolka walking around free after a few measly years for what she did. Bernardo would have also ended up most likely with a no-chance-of-parole sentence, sparing everyone the joke of him getting a chance in front of the parole committee every year.

Even the most jaded prosecutor in the US would probably immediately admit the death penalty does next to nothing as a deterrent to murder. If it did then the murder rate in the US would be a tenth of what it is. But as a negotiation tool that opens up avenues for prosecutors to get much harsher and longer-term sentences? Yeah, the death penalty is effing awesome in that regard. Not much more satisfying for anyone who believes in raw justice, except for seeing the bastards fry, than hearing they get up to a thousand years in prison when a harsh state with harsh judges nail them with consecutive sentences for what they've done. And that's what should have happened to both Bernardo & Homolka, not this gong show the victim's families and the entire country have gone through with them over the last 25-odd years.

Strutz @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:25 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Scape Scape:

I’m generally opposed to the death penalty. But people like Bernardo are beyond hope and they need to be culled.

2 words:

general
population

xerxes @ Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:59 pm

Strutz Strutz:
xerxes xerxes:
Scape Scape:

2 words:

general
population

That sort of happened already. Way back , iirc, he was coming back from the showers and an inmate attacked him.

llama66 @ Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:49 am

Strutz Strutz:
xerxes xerxes:
Scape Scape:

2 words:

general
population

Allow me to build on this excellent idea: Reality TV

JaredMilne @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:11 pm

I'm only opposed to the death penalty because of the risk of executing an innocent person. We can give people like David Milgaard and Donald Marshall their freedom back and compensate them for the gross injustice they suffered, but we wouldn't be able to resurrect them if we'd stuck needles in their arms.

Stephen Harper did some of his best work as Prime Minister on the Criminal Code, such as by abolishing the "faint hope" clause. It's too bad the courts threw out his attempt to have its abolition apply retroactively, otherwise Bernardo wouldn't have even got the chance to apply for parole in the first place.

At least it applies to Travis Baumgartner...

Scape @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:17 pm

llama66 llama66:
Allow me to build on this excellent idea: Reality TV

Been done:

housewife @ Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Strutz Strutz:
xerxes xerxes:
Scape Scape:

2 words:

general
population

General population is a fine idea. I’m still appalled that she is out and has a family. I don’t understand how anyone can trust her given what happened to her sister. But to trust and have children with her is beyond my understanding.