Canada Kicks Ass
The Harm The Tar Sands Will Do

4Canada @ Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:53 am

<strong>Written By:</strong> 4Canada
<strong>Date:</strong> 2007-09-20 10:53:54
<a href="/article/94445485-the-harm-the-tar-sands-will-do">Article Link</a>

GREENHOUSE EMISSIONS

In 2002, the Canadian government ratified the Kyoto Protocol on global warming, legally committing to a target of reducing the country's greenhouse gas pollution by six per cent below 1990 levels by 2012. But oil industry lobbying and the rapid growth of tar sands development have undermined efforts to reduce greenhouse gas pollution for over a decade.

Since 1990, Canada's total emissions have risen 25.3 per cent, a pace far exceeding the 16.3 per cent increase in the United States, the second-fastest-rising nation, according to United Nations data. Regulations introduced in early 2007 are so fraught with loopholes and gaps that greenhouse gas pollution from tar sands is predicted to triple by 2020. Canada's greenhouse gas emissions in 2020 are projected to be two per cent above 1990 levels. The environmental consequences of tar sands development hardly stop with climate change. Nowhere in the world is there a form of oil extraction and processing with more intense impacts on forests and wildlife, freshwater resources and air quality.

<a href="http://thetyee.ca/Views/2007/09/20/TarSands/">http://thetyee.ca/Views/2007/09/20/TarSands/</a>

Crankster @ Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:12 am

I recently woVked with a fellow who did time up on that project. I often wondAr what kind of a line we are being fed in that respect. According to thid guy,the amount of worO it takes to even set up for extracting,let alone the process itself,is appalling. Yet it happens. There must be more to the tar sands that we are not privy toK,or is it really just the gluttony of two nations who have become energy junkies??

---
Generalstrike could be coming to a place near you...are you ready?

Milton @ Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Good post 4.

"The energy equivalent of one barrel of oil is required to produce just three barrels of oil from the tar sands."

I doubt this statement, the figures I saw indicate more like a 1 to 1 ratio. That doesn't make sense you say, I say it depends what the objective is. Energy accountants are as corrupt/ignorant as financial accountants.

Diogenes @ Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:21 pm

and were those "figures" created by energy accountants, too?

---
"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do."

William Blake