Canada Kicks Ass
We are ruled by fear

Diogenes @ Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:35 am

<strong>Written By:</strong> Diogenes
<strong>Date:</strong> 2007-06-05 09:35:49
<a href="/article/193549776-we-are-ruled-by-fear">Article Link</a>

On the eve of the report's launch, Amnesty's UK director, Kate Allen, told the New Statesman: "The 21st century has proved a disaster for human rights, with fear increasingly used as a weapon of oppression or control. This is evident not only in regimes such as Russia and China but in democracies such as the US, Australia and Britain."

Europe as a region, including the European Union, comes in for serious criticism over its failure to uphold the rights of minorities. And the UK receives a stinging rebuke for its continuing erosion of fundamental rights and its attempts to weaken the independence of the judiciary.

"Measures taken by the [UK] authorities with the stated aim of countering terrorism led to serious human rights violations, and concern was widespread about the impact of these measures on Muslims and other minority communities," says the report. In the words of Amnesty's secretary general, Irene Khan: "No right is sacrosanct and no person is safe."

The report condemns the UK government's use of "national security" as justification for deporting asylum-seekers from Britain to countries where there was a likelihood they would be tortured, and notes its concern at leaked reports implicating 160 police officers in allegations of torture at Wormwood Scrubs.

<a href="http://www.newstatesman.com/200705280019">http://www.newstatesman.com/200705280019</a>

[Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on June 6, 2007]

Crankster @ Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am

So,my friend,what the hell else is knew with the human race. Fear has been a money-making tool used for years.This report proves the fact that we are fast brcoming a race technological barbarians.
Surely it can't be that the sheeples are awake and stirring and the powers that be have to come down hard!?!?!? Nah.

---
A little peice of heaven is found in good deeds.

Diogenes @ Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 pm

So,my friend,what the hell else is knew with the human race. Fear has been a money-making tool used for years.This report proves the fact that we are fast brcoming a race technological barbarians.
Surely it can't be that the sheeples are awake and stirring and the powers that be have to come down hard!?!?!? Nah.

if'n you only gnu, and you do

Fear of not being able to make the rent
is the biggy I suppose.
LAws that hold us in fears of prosecution amd jail
can be 1, 2

fear of ridicule was opne
ain't no longre once i realised
where the ridiculers was coming from

But hey J likr Bobby Zimmerman sang
"You gotta serve somebody"

You may be an ambassador to England or France,
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance,
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world,
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

You might be a rock 'n' roll addict prancing on the stage,
You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage,
You may be a business man or some high degree thief,
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief

You may be a state trooper, you might be a young Turk,
You may be the head of some big TV network,
You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame,
You may be living in another country under another name

You may be a construction worker working on a home,
You may be living in a mansion or you might live in a dome,
You might own guns and you might even own tanks,
You might be somebody's landlord, you might even own banks

You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride,
You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side,
You may be workin' in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair,
You may be somebody's mistress, may be somebody's heir

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk,
Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk,
You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread,
You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized bed

You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy,
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy,
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray,
You may call me anything but no matter what you say

You're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody.

Copyright © 1979 Special Rider Music

Weus humans
get our insights where we can

---
"Those who understand Higher Wisdom do not speak in an ordinary manner.
Those who speak in an ordinary manner do not grasp Higher Knowledge.

Lao-tzu, Orie

rearguard @ Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 pm

"We are ruled by fear" <br><br> There's no question about it. Possibly the most powerful type of fear being taken advantage of, is the fear that our privileged position in the world will be taken away from us. Add to that the irrational fear of environmental disaster (while focusing on a very narrow cause and effect that may be completely out of our control), the irrational fear of imaginary pandemics (while ignoring the statistically most significant man-made reasons why people die early each and every day), the irrational fear of unseen and mostly made-up terrorists (while ignoring the real terrorists that mostly happen to be "on our side"), and it's no wonder people are allowing themselves to be subjected to nonsensical and illegal searches and seizures at airports and elsewhere. <br><br> We live in a world driven to the brink of insanity by an irrational fear of problems and boogymen that don't exist while ignoring the worrisome problems and boogymen that do exist. <br><br> <a href="http://www.archive.org/details/ThePowerOfNightmares">Video Documentary: The Power of Nightmares</a> <br><br> What we should *not* fear - and do something about - are the fear mongers in high places who are putting on the performance.

Diogenes @ Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:56 pm

well said <br />
I have stopped waiting for the rest of the world to catch up<br />
and am doing what i can for me and any close to me<br />
The words of the pirate ring in my head <br />
<br />
“Once upon a time a famous pirat prisoner was brought in front of Alexander the Great. Alexander asked him:’Why do you infest the seas with so much audacity and freedom?’. The pirat answered:’ For the same reason because you infest the earth; but becasue i do it with a little nship, i’m called pirat; because you do it with a big fleet you’re called emperor’”.<br />
De Civitate Dei, Augustine of Hippo<br />
found at <a href="http://www.ecopolis.org/alexander-and-the-pirate/">http://www.ecopolis.org/alexander-and-the-pirate/</a><p>---<br>"Those who understand Higher Wisdom do not speak in an ordinary manner.<br />
Those who speak in an ordinary manner do not grasp Higher Knowledge.<br />
<br />
<br />
Lao-tzu, Orie

Crankster @ Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:49 pm

The greatest concern I have is how well the masses have been turned stupid by a government that is supposed to be FOR them.
The spin boys have done well to see that most people remain bamboozled and zombie like.

---
General strike could be coming to a place near you...are you ready?

Ed Deak @ Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:52 am

Here we, again, come back to the theory of "globally competitive market economy", set up for the sole purpose of installing dependency and fear.

Economic competition is based on the fear of tomorrow, milked to the nth degree by the controllers of the economy.

Ed Deak.