Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian Forces urged to contact Habitat for Humanity amid h

Newsbot @ Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 am

Title: Canadian Forces urged to contact Habitat for Humanity amid housing crunch
Category: Military
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2022-05-23 18:18:52
Canadian

DrCaleb @ Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 am

Nothing says 'we care' like homeless serving soldiers. And lack of PMQs.

housewife @ Tue May 24, 2022 9:23 am

One of my friends bought a house after finding out her pmq was condemned before she moved in!! CE came and measured and readjusted the support poles in the basement once a month while they lived there!!

After our chimney was redone we had a bad storm water came in around the chimney and pooled in the basement CE told me for that small bit of water there was no point. Silly me though they would contact the company and have them redo the flashing! I reported it so it wasn’t my problem or responsibility after that. Lots of stories like that maintenance was always a crapshoot. Not to mention that rents were set to make it fair for local rentals. Which meant that some ranks had to be subsidized to be able to survive in a lot of areas!! We left pmqs in 1999 but I doubt that things changed much in the time since.

DrCaleb @ Tue May 24, 2022 9:30 am

That surprises me. My Uncle who was in the Forces told me that his PMQs always got a 'white glove' inspection when they moved in, and when they moved out. They were sticklers for clean.

housewife @ Tue May 24, 2022 10:10 am

Oh yeah they white gloves inspections still happening. Just can’t guarantee that proper maintenance will. Some of the people who come out to look at the complaints act like you’re taking food out of their mouths to repair something! Our last house had a higher rent because of it’s location. It overlooked the gulf course and river. When I complained that there was condensation freezing on the ceiling the size of a dinner plate in the baby’s room. They found that when the house was built there was no insulation above any of the windows! Of course they only fixed it in the two back bedrooms but I didn’t have to worry about the baby freezing to death in his room. I was actually surprised that they fixed some of it. They also fixed my sewer line after it started to need root removal a couple or three times a year. I was one of the lucky ones I just had roots at every joint. The guys repairing it said there was one place that the pipes had separated so the front yard was the septic system!! And of course there’s also asbestos in those old places. Our place in Comox had the attic hatch wired shut with warning not to open as it contained asbestos. That place also had bugs in the walls. I reported them when they were coming up between the panes of glass in the living room window by the time I left they were doing the same halfway down the row and in the front of my place too. They were noted on the white glove inspection. They were told we reported it when we first noticed and again when they started to appear in the front, no one wanted to look at it at the time so not our problem or fault.

bootlegga @ Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 pm

The problem is most PMQs were built eons ago to lower standards (as HW noted), and I lived in them in the 1970s in Griesbach, and until about a decade ago the Army was still using them! I think they

I'd wager that maintenance - like everything in the armed forces - occurs very seldomly because of lack of funding.