Canada Kicks Ass
PC Leadership

1  2  3  4  5  Next

themasta @ Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Well, the vote is this Saturday and I'm wondering who the canadaka community would like to win.

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Go Ted Morton!!!!!!!

If Canada can elect its first Conservative PM since Diefenbaker then I reckon its time for Alberta to elect the first Conservative Premier since Manning.

USCAdad @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Go Ted Morton!!!!!!!

If Canada can elect its first Conservative PM since Diefenbaker then I reckon its time for Alberta to elect the first Conservative Premier since Manning.

Isn't Morton a SoCon?

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:55 pm

He's an all round Conservative, and Alberta hasn't been lead by a Conservative since December 12, 1968. Under Ted, Alberta would take a turn to the right both socially and fiscally.

USCAdad @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:57 pm

So what's the score on the other two? Dinning and Stelmach is it? What's the difference between the front runners from an Alberta perspective?

hwacker @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:04 pm

What liberal panzie voted for Dinning ?

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:12 pm

Dinning is a corporate man and a liberal like Klein. He is generally thought to desire the top job out of prestige.

Morton is an immigrant and a deeply political guy having influenced Harper, Manning and Day; helped author the Alberta Agenda and was a democratically elected Senator in waiting rejected by the Liberals. He is generally thought to desire the top job in order to invoke change.

Stelmach is a rural Conservative who is quiet, likable and right thinking but nobody is going to waste a vote on him in the second ballot.

For a little more on Ted I found this Editorial Board change of opinion from Dinning to Morton interesting.

Why Ted Morton Gets My Vote

hwacker @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:16 pm

Morton has the hutspah to piss off the liberals and get the job done right.

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:21 pm

I'm Supportin' Morton!

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:27 pm

hwacker hwacker:
Morton has the hutspah to piss off the liberals and get the job done right.

Liberals are worried.

[stream]http://www.tedmorton.ca/upload/multi_audio/TedMortonIsTheMan.mp3[/stream]

USCAdad @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:18 pm

It certainly seems that Alberta has a choice to make in direction. I can apriciate the strong provincial stance that he seeems to advocate. I wouldn't have any truck with combining the social conservative aspects.

It's hard not to see it as something completely foreign. I'm a lousy nationalist. I would like to see more provincial control over spending and a continuation of resources as provincial assets because these issues affect BC tangentially. The SoCon thing is a choice for Albertans. If they want to drive their creative classes to BC, I don't have a problem with that.

I read a Macleans article that suggests that the Party could split over a Morton nomination.

Again, I don't really have a vested interest (from my perspective) in Albertan politics. I'm a small govenment, libertarian, fiscal conservative. I wish there was a conservative party in North America that I could support.

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:10 pm

USCAdad USCAdad:
It's hard not to see it as something completely foreign. I'm a lousy nationalist. I would like to see more provincial control over spending and a continuation of resources as provincial assets because these issues affect BC tangentially.

They affect all provinces and these issues are at the heart of what divides us.

USCAdad USCAdad:
The SoCon thing is a choice for Albertans. If they want to drive their creative classes to BC, I don't have a problem with that.

As long as BC keeps driving their engineers, businessmen, etc to Alberta we'll gladly keep buying the one way tickets for the dope smoking peaceniks from out east who are welfare shopping their way across Canada.

USCAdad USCAdad:
I read a Macleans article that suggests that the Party could split over a Morton nomination.

I doubt it. This is just a federal Liberal perspective (psyops). When Ralph Klein became premier they said the same thing but his opponent went on to run the provincial Liberal party instead. I reckon its pretty likely that when Dinning loses he may be the one leading the liberals in an election fight with Morton but I can iron clad guarantee you that Morton will never be a liberal party member no matter how much graft they try to buy him with.

Ironically, the party had already begun to split with the 200,000 member Alliance Party being the principle one and is also the one identified by Klein as the only threat to the PCs in the next election. Morton will bring every last one of them into the fold and negate the threat.

USCAdad USCAdad:
Again, I don't really have a vested interest (from my perspective) in Albertan politics. I'm a small govenment, libertarian, fiscal conservative. I wish there was a conservative party in North America that I could support.

Sounds like Harper and Morton.

USCAdad @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:36 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Sounds like Harper and Morton.

I have supported some of Harpers policies and positions but I won't sleep with SoCons.

Banff @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:44 pm

Not enough choices like , who gives a ..... :evil:

grainfedprairieboy @ Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:47 pm

You can read about the results but its another thing to see them. He's Calgary's man.

BTW, when Dinning heard some guy made up a song for Morton he went out and commissioned one for hisself. Who ever created that beauty work of art I'll personally buy the bus ticket to BC.

Dinning's Gay Song Link

1  2  3  4  5  Next