Canada Kicks Ass
N.B. set to become tidal power leader

1andonly @ Thu May 18, 2006 3:19 pm

New Brunswick will soon be on the cusp of a technological wave when it comes to tidal power.

While a commercially viable project is more than a decade away, this province is one of three places in the world that is riding a new tidal wave of energy production.

If government can raise $4.5 million, through public and private partners, to build a one-megawatt pilot plant at Head Harbour - near Campobello Island - the technology will be put to the test.

Such a plant could be as far away as five years, but the data collected will determine the commercial viability of the project. One of the sites identified to have commercial potential is the Reversing Falls at the mouth of the St. John River, but that is more than a decade away.

Along with nuclear power, the tidal project and a 400-megawatt wind farm in the planning stages, the province is trying to become what Energy Minister Brenda Fowlie calls an "energy hub."

Tidal technology requires massive underwater structures that have to be assembled on site and with New Brunswick surfing the tip of the tidal-power wave, it will be well positioned to export expertise and the technology around the world.

"It's great to be an energy hub, but we are going to do it in steps we can manage so that there is not a shock to the rate payers in the province," Ms. Fowlie said during a presentation on the proposed project Wednesday at the Trade and Convention Centre in Saint John.

Brian Duplessis of NB Power agrees riding the wave early will serve the province well. He said the refurbishment of the Point Lepreau nuclear station and the wind farm create marketable technology and expertise.

"Being part of this study right from the start, I think opens doors down the road that obviously wouldn't be open if your weren't part of it."

Mr. Duplessis said the province has a history of being open-minded when it comes to various power technologies.

"We have hydro electricity, we have nuclear power and we have nuclear power and we have fossil fuels and a commitment to wind (power), so we have a history of looking at a variety of sources," Mr. Duplessis said.

The United Kingdom is currently the technology leader with a number of demonstration projects coming online in the next few months. New York City also plans to install six tidal generators in the East River in 2007.

Tidal power generators resemble wind generators turned upside down. The Harbour Head turbines would be at least 15 metres below the surface so as not to affect vessel traffic.

Along with governments in N.B., Nova Scotia, Maine, Massachusetts, Alaska, Washington and California, the Electric Power Research Institute, an independent, non-profit centre for electricity and environmental research based in California, was contracted to conduct the feasibility study. The Department of Energy, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, Service New Brunswick and NB Power put up $75,000 toward the study's total $590,000 cost ($200,00 was in-kind donations). The study found eight potential sites in and around the Bay of Fundy capable of generating a total of 90 megawatts of power - enough to power some 12,000 homes. Cape Enrage is the province's most productive tidal site at 30 megawatts, but it's too far removed from the power grid making it too expensive as a pilot project.

Tidal power is still in its infancy, but the pilot plant is the first step toward a new energy source for the province and a potential industry.

The estimated construction cost of the pilot plant at Head Harbour is $4.5 million. Government agencies could send the initial costs higher depending on what regulatory hoops the project's builders are forced to jump through.

"They could potentially delay the project for years, require an infinite number of studies, which cost infinite numbers of dollars because there's no limit on government spending," said Roger Bedard of the Electric Power Research Institute, the group that conducted the feasibility study.

With oil flirting with the $70 a barrel mark, alternative energy sources such as wind and tidal power become more and more attractive.

"As a renewable energy guy, we love that price of oil to go up," Mr. Bedard said.

"I think New Brunswick citizens should be very pleased that its Department of Energy and its minister and its power company have contributed to the study, because I think it's going to lead the way to the future."

David Thompson of the Conservation Council of New Brunswick, said he welcomes the project because tidal energy is renewable.

"What concerns me the most is the small amount of money that the government is willing to put into this compared to what they're putting into big polluting energy in this province," said Mr. Thompson.

Bonnie Morse of the Grand Manan Fishermen's Association Inc. said it's too early to speculate on the potential damage to sea life or fishing grounds.

"I think there are ways they could co-exist, but I think that you have to do it in consultation and in discussions with fishermen," said Ms. Morse. "I think that that's going to be the key.