Canada Kicks Ass
Chinese afraid dead children will haunt them

1  2  3  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 am

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Ang ... story.html

Get out of the 12th century you dumb fucks.

$1:
Dozens of angry Asian residents of a posh, University of B.C., highrise building aim to stage a placard-waving protest rally to protest a 15-bed hospice being planned next door.

“We cannot have dying people in our backyard,” said rally organizer Janet Fan, Wednesday “It’s a cultural taboo to us and we cannot be close to so many dying people. It’s like you open your door and step into a graveyard.”

$1:
Qing Lin, who bought a Promontory apartment for $900,000 almost a year ago, said she and her seven year old daughter will have nightmares if the hospice goes ahead.

“We believe that people dying outside will bring us bad luck,” she added. “I’m very angry and upset. If I had known it was going to be a hospice, I wouldn’t buy it for half the price.”

Her neighbour Anglea Gao, 34, clutching her nine-month-old son Ryan, agreed.

“It’s very disturbing,” she said. “My kids and I are going to feel so frightened and angry just to think there are dying people so close to us.”

$1:
Residents wrote a letter Jan. 9 to Jan Fialkowski, executive director of the University Neighborhood Association, (UNA) saying they feel a hospice is the equivalent of a funeral home or crematorium.

“‘Death is the Yin and ‘Live’ is the Yang,” it read. “If the Yin and Yang are near to each other, ‘Death’ will bring bad luck, meaning sickness and even death . . . The ghosts of the dead will invade and harass the living.”

The letter said Asians believe that living next to “death” would “lead to failure of business, the loss of money, the break of marriage and family, and the healthy growing up of children will be affected.”

This is ALL about property values for them. Another Asian will not buy the property an' dey roose mucha monies.

They had to take posters of a ghost movie about a haunted subway car down in Taipei a few years ago. It was posted on some of the MRT cars and people were freaking out. Just goes to show that you can take Third Worlders out of the Third World, but .......

There places here that only foreigners will live in because of the proximity tograveyards. Where our graveyards are well tended and park like, where people go to speak to our deceased, they usually only go once a year and ONLY in daylight. Their graveyards are overgrown with weeds and litter.

Brenda @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 am

$1:
“It’s a cultural taboo to us..."

Then go get the f*ck back to your own country or adapt to Canadian culture.
As far as I am concerned, you can have and practice your culture, but don't tell us how to practice ours.

And that coming from an immigrant. So there.

QBC @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:50 am

I guess the angry Asian residents will be looking for a new place to live then. I think the needs of patients at the hospice are more important then some superstitious rich kids living in a "posh" apartment.

Brenda @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 am

$1:
“It’s very disturbing,” she said. “My kids and I are going to feel so frightened and angry just to think there are dying people so close to us.”

I don't want to burst your bubble (ok, that's a lie...) but the moment you are born, you start dying. A bit more every day...

QBC @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 am

Not to mention their sympathy for those who are dying.... :roll:

They live in a 21 century apartment, in a 21st century city, maybe they should start living in the 21st century.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 am

Brenda Brenda:
$1:
“It’s a cultural taboo to us..."

Then go get the f*ck back to your own country or adapt to Canadian culture.
As far as I am concerned, you can have and practice your culture, but don't tell us how to practice ours.

And that coming from an immigrant. So there.

Testify, Sister.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 am

Stick the residents in the hospice and the patients in the luxury apartments. That way, those poor Asians won't have to look at them. :wink:

Yogi @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:52 am

Asian condo owners at the University of B.C. are protesting plans to build a hospice nearby, saying they're afraid of plummeting property values -- and ghosts.

Janet Fan, who owns a unit in a high rise on campus, has started a petition against plans for a 15-bed hospice in the empty lot next door.

"Eighty per cent of the residents in this building are Asian, and 100 per cent of them are very upset," she told CTV News.

Condo owners learned about the plans at an open house.

"We went to the open house and we found out it's just in our backyard," she said.

Tan says the smallest units in the building sell for $1 million, and the wealthy residents are wary of having the dying so close to home.

"We believe that if the living and the dying are too close to each other, it will bring very bad fortune, as well as it will be harmful to the children. It's just something we were taught when we were little kids," she said.

"Our parents would say things like that ghosts are associated with death and we were just very afraid of the whole death thing."

The site was selected for the hospice after a four-year review of 12 possible locations. It will be operated by the Order of St. John, with facilities for UBC researchers.

A final decision on the hospice was expected in February, but has now been delayed because of opposition to the project, according to Joe Stott, director of planning for the university.

"We need to make sure that we collect all this information and go through it in a systematic way," he said.

Tung Chan, former CEO of the Chinese-Canadian charity SUCCESS, says the situation is a classic case of Not In My Backyard.

"I think their fear is genuine," he said. "However, what I do see is no different from any classic NIMBYism, where people don't what to see things happen in their backyard, and cultural effect is just one of the things they trot out to explain that."

But other groups advocate for more education at a time when Canada's population is aging and the need for palliative care centres is growing.

"They are important because there are many people who for various reasons can't end their life at home either because they need more medical care or nursing care," said Jane Webley, manager for palliative and hospice care at Lions Gate Hospital.

Time for this rich bitch and her superstitious
buddies to pull their heads out of their collective asses and join the 21st century!

Gunnair @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:58 am

Put a brothel or a needle exchange there instead.

Idiots. There's ways to deal with ghosts anyway...

xerxes @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:04 am

Or....stop believing in ghosts. It's so easy.

andyt @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 am

Can you believe these fucks. Go back where you came from. A Hospice has be one of the more desirable neighbors, assuming you're not running a party house.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:20 am

I'm going to protest the Chinese cuz they are harbingers of death. Everytime I see one live and in person, someone I know dies within the week.

BartSimpson @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am

Diversity and multiculturalism and tolerance.

Here it is, folks. [B-o]

Gunnair @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Diversity and multiculturalism and tolerance.

Here it is, folks. [B-o]

I suspect you have enough of a mess in your own back yard to be pointing fingers at ours.

martin14 @ Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Put a brothel or a needle exchange there instead.

Idiots. There's ways to deal with ghosts anyway...

I agree, I can understand being upset with a needle exchange, but a hospice ?

It's Canada, right ?

Let's just make sure.

1  2  3  Next