Canada Kicks Ass
CN Rail : / Federal Liberals - Fix you're trains

1  2  Next

ridenrain @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:12 pm

Transport Canada investigating CN Rail accidents
Dec, 06 2005 - 12:30 PM
CKNW(AM980) - Transport Canada is investigating the cause of two CN Rail accidents yesterday.
The first accident in the Cheakamus Canyon saw seven-rail cars leave the tracks.
The second incident happened last night when four-cars derailed on a bridge over the Fraser River sending one of those cars into the water.

Transport Canada has previously ordered CN to shorten its trains, however the rail line got around the order by instead putting extra engines throughout the train.
Rod Nelson with Transport Canada says this system of ‘distributed power’ is being looked into. “With that notice in order was a detailed analysis of how their distributed power operator trains operated in that area and they have given us that,” said Nelson. “They gave that to us a couple of weeks ago and we're now reviewing it and also their action plan for that area.”

CN Rail has come under fire for dramatically increasing the length of its trains despite safety concerns.

CKNW(AM980) - We've seen more derailments on the former B.C. Rail line since CN took it over.
The Transportation Safety Board says CN had 10 main track derailments along the former B.C. Rail line through November third of this year, compared to just two such incidents for all of last year.

However, CN spokesman Mark Hallman said CN's own accident statistics, stemming from a U.S. system based on the cost of each derailment, show the number of significant incidents has actually declined since it took over B.C. Rail.

And now 2 more for TODAY.
Dec, 06 2005 - 8:20 AM
RICHMOND/CKNW(AM980) - Another CN Train has gone off the tracks, this time, in Richmond.
CN officials have confirmed four cars derailed shortly after nine last night off a rail bridge at Lulu Island.

PluggyRug @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:21 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
However, CN spokesman Mark Hallman said CN's own accident statistics, stemming from a U.S. system based on the cost of each derailment, show the number of significant incidents has actually declined since it took over B.C. Rail.

Just try to interpret this cockamamy gobbledegook.

ridenrain @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:29 pm

That means if it does not cost much, it does not matter.
Maybe they could tell the fish, salmon and the animals that eat them in the cheakamus river.
Maybe tell that to the guys who fly over from Europe, just so they can fly fish there, or the eagles that winter there, every year.

Robair @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:36 pm

CN is a private company, has bee for 10 years... what do you mean by "federal Liberals fix your train??"

Streaker @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:47 pm

They are starting to fix their trains:

$1:
Friday, December 2, 2005 11:12 EST

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian National Railway said on Friday it will boost its capital spending by 9 percent in 2006 as the country's biggest railway company looks to improve its infrastructure and purchase equipment.

The Montreal-based company said it will spend C$1.5 billion next year, close to 20 percent of its revenue, to make its network more efficient and safe.

CN Rail said it will spend C$800 million on infrastructure to replace rails, tires, ballast and other track materials while upgrading bridges and signaling systems.

The company has another C$250 million earmarked for network productivity initiatives and strategic projects. Another C$325 million will be used to buy new locomotives and to upgrade its existing fleet.

CN Rail will also spend close to C$150 million on facilities, information technology and other projects it says will allow the company to tap new growth opportunities.

Shares of CN Rail were down 13 Canadian cents at C$94.12 shortly after the open on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Link

ridenrain @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Reading that I see the names: TORONTO and Montreal.
Who sets the standards for this railroad? Who's responsible?
Untill I see something hapening, it's just another BS Liberal Promise.

40,000 litres of highly corrosive caustic soda into the Cheakamus River and killed thousands of salmon and other fish.
Whole page of links.

Streaker @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:26 pm

$1:
Reading that I see the names: TORONTO and Montreal.
Who sets the standards for this railroad? Who's responsible?
Untill I see something hapening, it's just another BS Liberal Promise.

This makes no sense. CN was privatised years ago, as Robair mentioned. The railway has recently announced investments aimed at improving its equipment etc...

The best you can do is whine about Toronto and Montreal?

Sad. Makes you seem like a parochial bumpkin. :roll:

Mika @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:37 pm

Well I have no clue why we are blamming people, all I know is that they should seriously take a look at this problem and try to fix it. Too many derailements oocured over this passed year, maybe they just havent thought of the fact that the tracks and trains are old. How about renewing them? Might solve some problems

ridenrain @ Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:05 am

Steaker: You said: "They are starting to fix their trains" then you provide a clip that says nothing about what is happening in BC. The trains are derailing in BC, that's why this is in the BC thread.
If some of that $1.5 Billion is to be sent to BC, then I'll believe it when I see it.

As for who is to blame: CN may indeed be a private company now but they are still regulated by federal laws. CN, or any private company will do whatever is in their best interest to make money, but these longer trains are derailing far too often.

Bigboy @ Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:20 pm

funny thing is that area or rail has always been CN, never been owned by BC rail shows how good he is at his job :roll:

Regina @ Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:04 am

It hasn't much to do with the trains as it does in the track condition or bridge in this case. Shortening the trains is an issue with the track capacity not how well the vehicles are maintained.

ridenrain @ Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:06 am

True. It's not as easy as the length of the trains. The last de-rail that dumped cars off the bridge only had 22 cars.

“The four rail cars were multi-level auto-carriers that contained new vehicles,” said Dallas. “Three of the rail cars are upright on the tracks. The fourth car is reported to have fallen off the bridge into the river. The train has two locomotives and a total of 39 cars.”

The local union folks are now also getting into it:
"United Transportation Union Local Vice President Wayne Chorneychuk says there needs to be track upgrades and more inspections."

We also had one railcar leaking Zilene yesterday.
I now see why they won't do passenger rail any more. With a safety record like this, the lawsuits would bankrupt the country faster than Paul Martin.

Regina @ Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:50 pm

Passenger rail service didn't/doesn't pay the bills for either railroad. They make their money on freight. Passenger trains are forced to give way to the freight if needed as well.

Scorpio @ Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:11 pm

My father works for the CNRail, and a couple years ago in Grand Falls NB, we had around 30 some cars go off the tracks. Some were doubled up, and there were a few propane tanks i believe, they never exploded, thank god. But the problem there was the front car had a flat edge on the rim and broke the track behind it, and the cars finally caught one edge and over they went. Took them a while to clean up!!!

1  2  Next