Canada Kicks Ass
IKEA stores to add green parking spots

Clogeroo @ Fri May 11, 2007 9:03 am

IKEA stores to add green parking spots for fuel efficient vehicles

[align=left]TORONTO (CP) - Shoppers who drive hybrid or fuel-efficient vehicles will be able to park a little closer to the front door at IKEA stores across Canada.

The retailer says it will roll out special Green Parking parking for energy saving vehicles at its 11 stores across the county at the end of May.

Two parking spaces at each store will be designated as Green and be located directly after the handicapped and family parking spots.

IKEA says depending on the response from customers, and as the trend toward hybrid vehicles grows, more green parking spaces may be added.

IKEA has already adopted an anti-idling policy for customers loading their vehicles in the pick-up zone.
[/align]
Source

OPP @ Fri May 11, 2007 9:07 am

Of course.. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be encouraged in this way.

camerontech @ Fri May 11, 2007 9:37 am

omg.....where am I going to park my F-350 if all the good spots are taken by hybrids!!

bootlegga @ Fri May 11, 2007 9:54 am

camerontech camerontech:
omg.....where am I going to park my F-350 if all the good spots are taken by hybrids!!

ROTFL

Seriously though, every little bit helps. I know Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) builds their buildings with all sorts of green technology and as far as I can see, it doesn't affect their prices all that much. They are competitive with other stores, except mybe Wal-Mart.

SideShowCecil @ Fri May 11, 2007 10:26 am

And what happens if someone parks their F350 or Hummer in a green spot?

Seeing as Ikea doesn’t seem to care that three quarters of their family parking spots are being used inappropriately I would guess nothing would happen.

ryan29 @ Sun May 27, 2007 10:43 am

not sure if it really makes much difference, me personaly i don't mind the walk . parking closer to the store doesn't make much difference to me.
these hybrids are also smaller so they could likely find closer and smaller spots anyways say over the big spaces needed by an suv.

BluesBud @ Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 am

SideShowCecil SideShowCecil:
And what happens if someone parks their F350 or Hummer in a green spot?

Seeing as Ikea doesn’t seem to care that three quarters of their family parking spots are being used inappropriately I would guess nothing would happen.

FYI The IKEA in Ottawa at Pinecrest has a security guard in front of the parking at the door.
Now I know why! To stop parking disputes? :lol:

kettal @ Sun May 27, 2007 12:25 pm

This is green washing. Ikea encourages sprawl, all their shops are built in the fringes of suburbia.

ryan29 @ Sun May 27, 2007 4:02 pm

kettal kettal:
This is green washing. Ikea encourages sprawl, all their shops are built in the fringes of suburbia.

think this really just being done to look good on the news and not to really do anyhting for the environment.

hwacker @ Sun May 27, 2007 4:19 pm

Perfect, guess where I’m parking my vette, idling of course