Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian border a bigger threat: U.S. official

1  2  3  4  Next

andyt @ Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 pm

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-border-bigger-threat-u-official-172605563.html

Zipperfish @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 pm

If you're the US sitting on about 50 million nuclear bombs, absolute planetary military supremacy and a population of ten times Canada, and you are threatened by Canada, you're probably the kind of guy who screams and runs out of the house when he sees a mouse.

Wrap that up with a jingoistic, nationalist media that laid the blame for 9/11 on Canada's doorstep--even while we were landing their planes--and you get why the US is a basket case.

peck420 @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Sounds a lot like somebody is trying to get a bigger budget.

Yay for alphabet wars!

BartSimpson @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Just claptrap from a politically correct White House that's trying to deflect attention from their abject failure to secure the Mexican border by pointing a finger at Canada.

What's ironic here is that Obama was the clear favorite among Canadians in 2008 (some of you even walked precincts for him in Ohio and western Pennsylvania) and this is the way he pays you back. :wink:

Thanos @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Yeah, we all too soon forget the halcyon days of Dubya when we were treated so much better by the US. **cough * mad-cow * cough * softwood * cough**

BartSimpson @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Yeah, we all too soon forget the halcyon days of Dubya when we were treated so much better by the US. **cough * mad-cow * cough * softwood * cough**

He had an excuse. Your government endorsed Gore in 2000 so it's not like he was going to play footsie. Now you've got your choice in the White House and things are actually worse. :|

peck420 @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm

As long as people are under the illusion that a foreign government will do anything other than self serve, they will always be disappointed.

Every POTUS is the same, US first everybody else second...if you aren't in the way of US first.

Where is the shock?

Thanos @ Tue May 17, 2011 1:55 pm

More like Bush was paying homage to the US cattlemen and lumber interests that donated massive amounts of cash to his campaigns. The ridiculous mouthing-off at the time of the idiots in the Chretien regime and the Canadian press probably had nothing to do with it.

Canada always ends up with the short end of the stick in practically all cross-border issues with the United States, period. It doesn't matter at all who's President, who's Prime Minister, or who's in control of Congress. You're the Big Guy and we're the Little Guy, and you have the luxury of ignoring us or even kicking dirt all over us whenever you feel like it. It's just the way it is and probably always will be.

peck420 @ Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Canada always ends up with the short end of the stick in practically all cross-border issues with the United States, period. It doesn't matter at all who's President, who's Prime Minister, or who's in control of Congress. You're the Big Guy and we're the Little Guy, and you have the luxury of ignoring us or even kicking dirt all over us whenever you feel like it. It's just the way it is and probably always will be.

We only end up on the short end because we let ourselves.

Why our government insists on honouring agreements that one of the other parties has already reneged on is beyond me.

To be completely honest, I see why the US politico's treat us the way they do...we never stand up for ourselves!

Softwood Lumber...We will honour NAFTA and the rulings of WTO, but we will still deal with you if you don't.

It's a joke.

Each and every time the US reneges a deal, our government takes it in stride and says business as usual. Why wouldn't they see us as weak?

Zipperfish @ Tue May 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Meh. We've prospered mightily from being a neighbour to the US, mostly through preferential access to a huge market, but also through ancillary peace dividendes from being essentially a protected vassal state. For the most parts, our interests align.

Could do a lot worse for neighbours. Just ask Ukraine. Or Tibet.

BartSimpson @ Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 pm

peck420 peck420:
As long as people are under the illusion that a foreign government will do anything other than self serve, they will always be disappointed.

Every POTUS is the same, US first everybody else second...if you aren't in the way of US first.

Where is the shock?

Churchill once said, "Nations do not have permanent allies, only permanent interests."

At the same time, I find it ironic that Canadians tweaked so much about Bush and that they supported Obama only to find him practically pissing on Canada as both a trading partner and an ally.

GreenTiger @ Tue May 17, 2011 5:15 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
peck420 peck420:

Where is the shock?

Churchill once said, "Nations do not have permanent allies, only permanent interests."

At the same time, I find it ironic that Canadians tweaked so much about Bush and that they supported Obama only to find him practically pissing on Canada as both a trading partner and an ally.

I'll disagree with Churchill (heresy I know). Obama is ticked off at Canada because in his mind it is "too British". He seems to like to reward our enemies and tick off our allies.

I get more ticked off than many Canadians. I spent many a pleasant day in many Canadians towns to look upon the border as I look upon the Mexican Border.

Bush was far more friendly to Canada that Obama. I am nauseated and disgusted at the way Canada is treated.

DanSC @ Tue May 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
If you're the US sitting on about 50 million nuclear bombs, absolute planetary military supremacy and a population of ten times Canada, and you are threatened by Canada, you're probably the kind of guy who screams and runs out of the house when he sees a mouse.

Wrap that up with a jingoistic, nationalist media that laid the blame for 9/11 on Canada's doorstep--even while we were landing their planes--and you get why the US is a basket case.

No one in the U.S. is scared of Canada, even if Canada wasn't a staunch ally. The Americans are worried about how easy it is to cross the border. Combine that with the vast amount of coastline Canada has, and it would be quite simple to sneak something into Canada and then pass it over the border. The same couldn't happen in Mexico without the cartels knowing about it; they'd just shoot you.

herbie @ Tue May 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Yeah tell us how simple it is to sneak something into Canada. We need a good laugh.

fifeboy @ Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Just claptrap from a politically correct White House that's trying to deflect attention from their abject failure to secure the Mexican border by pointing a finger at Canada.

Where's Hans Brinker, I think the yanks need him in Texas.
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
What's ironic here is that Obama was the clear favorite among Canadians in 2008 (some of you even walked precincts for him in Ohio and western Pennsylvania) and this is the way he pays you back. :wink:

Well, my wife voted for him. Joined Democrats Abroad, my e-mail is still plugged up with their messages. However, I can assure you, she was NEVER a street walker for Obama. :lol:

1  2  3  4  Next