Canada Kicks Ass
Defining the Americans

1  2  Next

erik06 @ Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:00 am

Posted this a little while ago at my site...forget where its from

------------------------------
Defining the Americans:
We yell for the Government to balance the budget, then take the last dime we have to make the down payment on a car.

We whip the enemy in battle, then give them the shirt off our backs.

We yell for speed laws that will stop fast driving, then won't buy a car if it can't go over 100 miles an hour.

Americans get scared to death if we vote a billion dollars for education, then are unconcerned when we find out we are spending three billion dollars a year for cigarettes.

We know the line-up of every baseball team in the American and National Leagues but don't know half the words in the "Star Spangled Banner".

We'll spend half a day looking for vitamin pills to make us live longer, then drive 90 miles an hour on slick pavement to make up for lost time.

We tie up our dog while letting our sixteen year old son run wild.

We will work hard on a farm so we can move into town where we can make more money so we can move back to the farm.

In the office we talk about baseball, shopping or fishing, but when we are out at the game, the mall or on the lake, we talk about business.

We are the only people in the world who will pay $.50 to park our car while eating a $.25 sandwhich.

We're the country that has more food to eat than any other country in the world and more diets to keep us from eating it.

We run from morning to night trying to keep our earning power up with our yearning power.

We're supposed to be the most civilized Christian nation on earth, but we still can't deliver payrolls without an armored car.

We have more experts on marriage than any other country in the world and still have more divorces.

gemini39 @ Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:03 am

Refering to the line above about the Star Spangled Banner.....you wouldn't believe how many people I've met down here that know all the words to "Oh Canada". Funny.

electricbuford @ Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:39 am

http://moveon.org/technicaldifficulties/

RoyalHighlander @ Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:14 pm

electricbuford electricbuford:
http://moveon.org/technicaldifficulties/

Interesting site

Reverend Blair @ Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:41 pm

8) I'm glad to see that somebody's talking back. Hope they don't end up in prison.

Rican @ Tue May 06, 2003 5:30 pm

I for one truly believe in free speech. I love to read others opinions and generally respect it. But I've found lately that everyone is so quick to complain but the majority do nothing about it. Everyone is quick to criticize, but you wouldn't ever see them next to you in a foxhole. It's so easy to sit back in your lazy boy and watch the news. Apparently it automatically means you're an expert. If you really want to define Americans, don't look to the veggie burger, saab driving college girl who thinks it's "in" to protest instead of going to classes at NYU. Look at the common soldier who believes enough in want the US was founded on and will die for the right for everyone to bitch and use those same cliche phrases over and over. That is the definition of an American. I'm an American soldier and damn proud of it, I'm not so different from you after all.

RoyalHighlander @ Tue May 06, 2003 7:17 pm

Rican Rican:
I for one truly believe in free speech. I love to read others opinions and generally respect it. But I've found lately that everyone is so quick to complain but the majority do nothing about it. Everyone is quick to criticize, but you wouldn't ever see them next to you in a foxhole. It's so easy to sit back in your lazy boy and watch the news. Apparently it automatically means you're an expert. If you really want to define Canadians, don't look to the veggie burger, saab driving college girl who thinks it's "in" to protest instead of going to classes at McGill. Look at the common soldier who believes enough in what Canada was founded on and will die for the right for everyone to bitch and use those same cliche phrases over and over. That is the definition of an Canadian. I was a Canadian soldier and damn proud of it, I'm not so different from you after all.

Interchangable i would say no?

Rev_Blair @ Thu May 08, 2003 7:56 pm

What about the 38 year old working man who drives an old truck and has earned many scars, Rican? Do I fall into the same category as that college girl because I took time out of my bust schedule, gave up making money for a day, to protest?

What about my 36 year old wife? She's earned her scars too, does she represent an average person? She was at the protest too. She votes as often as there's an election and is active in many things. Does she represent a good Canadian in your books.

What about the Austrian-born Canadian I work with. He liked it so much here that he stayed...chose to become a Canadian. He works and votes. He protests too. Is he a real enough Canadian for you, Rican?

I appreciate what members of our military do for us, make no mistake, but I keep seeing these little insinuations that they are somehow more patriotic...more Canadian...than the rest of us. Sorry, but that ain't right.

Rican @ Thu May 08, 2003 8:02 pm

I definately do agree with that. I'm simply addressing the ones that piss me off the most. They seem to be the most ignorant, yet the majority of news coverage and interviews seems to focus on them and their ignorant ideas. In no way did I mean disrespect, it just seems they get the most attention since they're young. The same goes for movie stars and other celebrities. Since they have the opportunity to address millions of people, the general public somehow gives there opinion more weight as well. Cause we all know making movies makes you an expert on foreign relations

Rican @ Thu May 08, 2003 8:14 pm

if you like an example of what i'm talking about. pure ignorance in action

http://www.brain-terminal.com/video/nyc ... index.html

warning...you may become disgusted with the amount of cliche phrases and dumb ideas

Rev_Blair @ Fri May 09, 2003 4:31 am

Funny how he talked to a relatively small group of people in such a large crowd. I'd be interested to hear the full answers that he did get instead of the edited sound bites that were presented. I'd be interested to hear some of the other answers he got. Those aren't likely to make on the screen anytime soon though.

That's a pretty carefully managed piece of video and the message it sends is clear....Anybody to dares to talk back is not just stupid, but unpatriotic.

Guest @ Fri May 09, 2003 5:57 am

actually just go to the question and answer portion. i felt the same way at first. but this section swayed me after reading it.

polemarch1 @ Fri May 09, 2003 2:06 pm

Rev_Blair anti-war folks edit there videos too. They show select sound bites to give the view they want. The best example of this is Michael Moore's piece of trash "Bowling for Columbine".

Rev_Blair @ Sat May 10, 2003 8:50 am

Yeah, they do. There is usually an attempt to find out why people feel the way they do though...an examination of a problem. That is absent from this clip. It's lined up to denigrate all who dare to talk back by carefully presented the mis-steps of a few.

BadAssBookie @ Fri May 16, 2003 1:05 pm

Definition of Americans: one dimersional thinkers. :D

1  2  Next