Canada Kicks Ass
Obama to Close Guantanamo

Scattered @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:14 pm

This is awesome! About time...

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2008/s2471650.htm

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:19 pm

So far so good for restoring America's reputation. :D

Hewer @ Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 pm

That was the easy part. Now they have to figure out what to do with the inmates.

hwacker @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:00 am

All he did is pen his name, this will happen in one year if at all.

He's just gagging the lefties out there.

CanadianJeff @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 am

Well I guess we will see soon enough then Hwacker.

hwacker @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:17 am

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
Well I guess we will see soon enough then Hwacker.

That’s the point; this Fu@# doesn’t have a clue. If he brings them to the states it will cripple the fed courts and these (should be dead) POS will get some rights just like the citizens of the USA. You wait for the circus that will follow.

Change HAHAHAHA

People will be calling for B-HO's head

llama66 @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 am

so they don't deserve to be tried under US law for terrorism, but rather your all for some military tribunal, they broke US law they should be tried in US court, and if necessary executed as per US criminal code, all are supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law, no exceptions.

hwacker @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:53 am

llama66 llama66:
so they don't deserve to be tried under US law for terrorism, but rather your all for some military tribunal, they broke US law they should be tried in US court, and if necessary executed as per US criminal code, all are supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law, no exceptions.

really ?

where did you dream that ?

llama66 @ Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 am

from the MAGNA CARTA,
XXIX. NO Freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or be disseised of his Freehold, or Liberties, or free Customs, or be outlawed, or exiled, or any other wise destroyed; nor will We not pass upon him, nor condemn him, but by lawful judgment of his Peers, or by the Law of the Land. We will sell to no man, we will not deny or defer to any man either Justice or Right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta

From the 14th Amendment
"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution

ShadesOfGrey @ Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 am

With regards to the Gitmo detainees,

It is my understanding that Canada is being lobbied to take some or all of these people and that it has been pitched to us as a means of currying favour with the new US administration.

I personally feel this is a dangerous course of action.

What would we gain? - - The possibility of a short-term and relatively small diplomatic edge + a warm and fuzzy feeling.
What would we lose? - - Damage to our image by allowing ourselves to be painted as a haven or refuge for terrorism.

I do not feel that the guilt or innocence of the persons in question is the issue.

If you recall, the US has already proven their inclination to blame us when these events take place as was the case with 9/11.
I am not suggesting that this would be the immediate result but should another unfortunate incident occur on American soil you can be sure that this little fact would easily tarnish our moral authority to suggest that we did not in any way facilitate it.
I am not at all suggesting that these people would commit any crime towards the US but rather that by accepting them we severely limit our ability to manage our political image.

I understand that there is a temptation to pander to the Americans given the current trade discussions and that we tend to define ourselves by our accommodating and peaceful nature but I feel that pragmatic decisions need to be made to ensure our long-term success as a country.