Canada Kicks Ass
US Agents Can Seize Laptops at Border

Previous  1  2

Rids @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 pm

We have been able to work on our laptops on commercial flights without a problem. Also regarding toothpaste if it is under 65mL you can take it as long as it is in a plastic container.

Bic lighters haven't been allowed when leaving from Canadian airports since 2000.

acidcomplex @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 pm

go ahead and take my laptop , if you can get through the 256 bit encryption and disk locks, as well as the biometric scanners without my help then you deserve everything on it. Although im sure i read somewhere about also getting screwed if you dont help them unlock it lol.

karra @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:43 pm

$1:
The US is no longer a free and democratic nation. It is a police state and they rap it up in a very wholesome name...Homeland Security....KGB.....Gestapo....same difference.
Hardly. btw, you left out Canada's Federal Flatfeet.

But, if you really think that, perhaps a trip to London, UK is in order - where, in a city of 12 - 15 million you will find a camera on every corner using facial recognition to make determinations.

And remember - there is a substantial difference between having your hd rifled - and actually having it seized. . . .

ziggy @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Rids Rids:
We have been able to work on our laptops on commercial flights without a problem. Also regarding toothpaste if it is under 65mL you can take it as long as it is in a plastic container.

Bic lighters haven't been allowed when leaving from Canadian airports since 2000.

Yes they have,one bic per person but it has to be in a zip-loc bag,which they provide,and put on the tray with your other goods to get x rayed.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:54 pm

ziggy ziggy:
Rids Rids:

Yes they have,one bic per person but it has to be in a zip-loc bag,which they provide,and put on the tray with your other goods to get x rayed.

So, they give you a container to fill up with explosive butane? Smrt! Me so Smrt!

They are welcome to my laptop. It doesn't belong to me, but the company I work for. Any data on it is hidden in invisible partitions. Thank you TrueCrypt!

EyeBrock @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:30 pm

Hey, it's their country, their rules. Don't like it, go somewhere else really.

dino_bobba_renno @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Just wait a few years. There will probably come a day when some huge "Hoover" type database is exposed. At least when Hoover was pulling this type of crap it was considered illegal.

Donny_Brasco @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:28 pm

I travelled to Vegas recently with an East indian guy and a white guy. Me and the East indian guy fly all the time and so we were prepared for the screening.

The white guy has not flown for some time. So he had his pockey knife, all his toiletries, his carry-on backpack with bottles of hair gel and this and that...a big gold belt buckle with bullets cut in half welded onto the thing...

Needless to say the East Indian guy and I had a time for a full meal and a cocktail before the white guy got through security.

So I think generally screeners have some common sense, even if the travellers don;t.

herbie @ Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Try standing in an unruly line somewhere like Prince George while they hold it up to harangue some Mennonite lady wearing a hairpin...
the day a 70 year old Hutterite lady with a hairpin can hijack an airplane is they day they should just park the whole fleet and polish up the old Pullman railcars....

ziggy @ Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:35 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ziggy ziggy:
Rids Rids:

So, they give you a container to fill up with explosive butane? Smrt! Me so Smrt!

They are welcome to my laptop. It doesn't belong to me, but the company I work for. Any data on it is hidden in invisible partitions. Thank you TrueCrypt!

And yet I can have pockets full of match's.
My buddy got pulled off the plane once because he had a six pack of lighters in his regular luggage.

Nothing like going to the arctic and haveing them take your lighters away.Everyone walked around camp with one of those huge box's of wooden matches in their pocket.

Previous  1  2