Canada Kicks Ass
US should follow Canada

Previous  1  2

Pseudonym @ Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:58 am

I can support this. Weren't Fannie and Freddie leveraged at something like 80-to-1? I think I remember hearing that somewhere and being quite horrified.

bootlegga @ Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:10 am

Bruce_the_vii Bruce_the_vii:
Anybody that thinks Canada's immigration system is great hasn't read up on it. We let in all these professionals with two degrees and they wind up driving cab.so much for that commentator.

The reason we have have doctors and engineers driving cabs and working at 7/11 is because while they may say they earned a degree in Kenya or China or Bulgaria, our society still needs to verify that their education is the equivalent of a Western-trained doctor. Immigrants can work in their fields once they've completed certification checks and/or extra training. I knew someone who came to Canada from Vietnam, where he was a 'skilled' photocopier repairman. His education in Vietnam wasn't considered thorough enough, so he took a one year course at NAIT and got a good job right after that.

I know plenty of people who have appliedfor and received permanent resident status, worked hard and eventually became full citizens. Our immigration system is quite good, although, like anything, there is room for improvement.

Bruce_the_vii @ Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:46 pm

If skilled workers are in demand the government should do more to train the next generation. Someone trained you, other people need to be trained.

Previous  1  2