Canada Kicks Ass
Visualization of US Debt.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Brenda Brenda:
If everyone, and I mean EVERYONE just gave 1% of their assets, the debt problem would be solved.
Anyone who can afford to smoke or drive a car can afford that. Anyone who owns 3 houses or has 1.5M in stocks and bonds wouldn't even notice.

Instead of everyone giving up their assets or more of their income we could also do something really radical and have the government not spend more money than they take in.

Radical, I know, but it's a thought.

Proculation @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Brenda Brenda:
If everyone, and I mean EVERYONE just gave 1% of their assets, the debt problem would be solved.
Anyone who can afford to smoke or drive a car can afford that. Anyone who owns 3 houses or has 1.5M in stocks and bonds wouldn't even notice.

They are free to GIVE 1% more of their assets to the debt. There are reasons they do not do it.

Brenda @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:

Instead of everyone giving up their assets or more of their income we could also do something really radical and have the government not spend more money than they take in.

Radical, I know, but it's a thought.

They have their spendings. 2 wars are not cheap and someone has to pay for it.
It's not like a normal household that can say "we are going to eat mac and cheese for a month, and all will be good". Roads still have to be maintained, debt interest has to be paid, social security checks have to be paid. If you want to clean up the act of the government, that you ALL profit from, you ALL have to pitch in.
BTW, of course there should be no more extra spending, and cuts where there can be cut.
I do think tho that the middle class and the growing lower class (because of the unemployment atm) has suffered enough. Let the rich suffer a bit. They won't notice, and (from what I understand) they have enough loopholes. Also, company tax-loopholes should be closed.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Brenda Brenda:
It's not like a normal household that can say "we are going to eat mac and cheese for a month, and all will be good". Roads still have to be maintained, debt interest has to be paid, social security checks have to be paid. If you want to clean up the act of the government, that you ALL profit from, you ALL have to pitch in.

1. We do not all 'profit' from government. :roll:

2. What we can do is eliminate subsidies to immigrants, eliminate welfare grants to able bodied people, end subsidies of all sorts to all private businesses from farms to factories to Wall Street, stop using the Social Security payments from working people to support non-working people, close all of our overseas bases and abandon the wars, end every single tax loophole, end all foreign aid, and end all of the 'free trade' agreements whose principle exports have been jobs, and end every single last social program that transfers wealth from one person to another.

3. Roads are supposed to be maintained from fuel taxes but the politicians have been stealing that money and giving it to their pet constituencies for decades.

4. I agree that everyone should 'pitch in' and that can best start by ending our tax system in which near 50% of the people pay nothing and imposing a single, fair, flat tax that everyone will pay be they high income or low income.

Brenda @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:58 pm

You live in a society. Get used to it. If you don't want to pay into it, buy your own island and build your own society the way you want to.

Canadian_Mind @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Brenda Brenda:
You live in a society. Get used to it. If you don't want to pay into it, buy your own island and build your own society the way you want to.

Why would you say that? Bart posted reasonable ideas.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Brenda Brenda:

Yeah, I'm scratching my head on that, too. [huh]

Proculation @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm

$1:
Let the rich suffer a bit.

Yeah, right.
Let's hit again the productive ones of the society. Like they are still not paying for 40% of the government revenue...

BartSimpson @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm

This just in...

$1:
An important message from US Senator Jim DeMint (Republican)
http://charlestonteaparty.org/an-import ... im-demint/ ^ | 7/26 | charlestontea party and demint

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:00:49 PM PST

Fellow Conservatives:

I have troubling news. I’m very careful about criticizing my party’s leaders, but what is happening in Washington right now cannot be ignored. House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) has abandoned the Cut-Cap-Balance Act and is now pushing a new plan that is nearly identical to the one proposed by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV).

The Boehner-Reid plan gives the President an immediate increase in the debt limit and only promises to cut spending in the future. It violates all three principles of the Cut-Cap-Balance Pledge because it does not substantially cut current spending, it does not truly cap future spending, and it does not require the passage of a strong Balanced Budget Amendment before raising the debt limit.

In short, I oppose the Boehner-Reid plan because it won’t balance the budget and stop the debt that is destroying our country.

The Boehner-Reid Plan

You will hear many claims about this plan over the next few days as it is pushed through the House and Senate. Some of these claims will be true, but many will be false. Here are the facts. The Boehner-Reid plan:

* Provides two increases in the debt limit — $900 billion and $1.6 trillion — totaling $2.5 trillion. It gives the President an immediate $900 billion increase given that Congress does not vote to disapprove it. It gives the President another $1.6 trillion increase next year if a bill written by a new Super Committee passes both houses and becomes law.

* Reduces spending by only $1.2 trillion over the next ten years. This amount won’t even come close to balancing the budget, as the debt is expected to grow by as much as $10 trillion over the next decade. The plan also reduces spending by only $6 billion in 2012. Considering that our government currently spends $10 billion a day, $6 billion is far too little to cut over the first year of the plan.

* Calls for a vote on the Balanced Budget Amendment but does not require its passage. Without passage of a strong Balanced Budget Amendment, Congress will never break its addiction to spending.

* Makes it virtually impossible to stop the debt limit from going up. The debt ceiling increases can only be stopped if Congress passes a resolution of disapproval and then votes to override the President’s veto with two-thirds support in the House and Senate.

* Creates a new, 12-member Super Committee to write another “grand bargain” to reduce the deficit by at least $1.6 trillion. It does not, however, prohibit the Super Committee from writing a bill to raise taxes and destroy jobs. The bill can then be fast-tracked through the House and Senate with no amendments.

Why It Should Be Rejected

After reviewing the details of Boehner-Reid plan, I cannot support it. It won’t balance the budget and stop the debt. Even if the cuts called for in the plan were real, the debt will still increase by $7 trillion over the next ten years.

* It won’t protect our AAA bond rating. According to financial reports, this plan will not reduce long-term spending by enough to prevent a downgrade. If we lose our AAA rating, it will create higher interest rates and cause our debt to grow even faster.

* It will likely result in higher taxes that will destroy even more jobs. The unemployment rate is over 9 percent. We cannot afford to lose more jobs when so many Americans are struggling to find work.

There are some in my party who think I should ignore the flaws of the Boehner-Reid plan, bite my tongue, and support my party’s leaders. If I thought this were a political game, that might make sense. But the future of our country is at stake, I don’t believe this plan will save it, and I have a moral obligation to say so.

The Way Forward

Fortunately, there is a much better solution.

The Cut-Cap-Balance Act would balance the budget, stop the debt, and protect our AAA bond rating. This legislation passed the House with bipartisan support but was blocked by Democrats in the Senate.

The votes in the Senate for Cut-Cap-Balance are there if Republicans stand firm. 23 Democrats in the Senate have expressed support for the Balanced Budget Amendment at some point in their careers. They’re blocking it now because they believe Republicans will blink and agree to something much less.

And that’s exactly what will happen if the Boehner-Reid plan is passed. It gives the big spenders in Washington everything they wanted — an increase in the debt limit, phony spending cuts, and a mechanism to pass tax increases.

Please call your senators today and urge them to oppose the Boehner-Reid plan and to demand passage of the Cut, Cap, Balance Act.

Brenda @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Brenda Brenda:

I didn't read more than this:
$1:
1. We do not all 'profit' from government.

Proculation @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Brenda Brenda:

$1:

Why ?

I certainly not 'profit' from government as I pay much more than I receive while I have to put money aside for my 'old days' since there won't be any left. So I pay for myself and for the others who made bad choices. And I am obligated by law to do that.

Gunnair @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Proculation Proculation:
Brenda Brenda:

$1:

Why ?

I certainly not 'profit' from government as I pay much more than I receive while I have to put money aside for my 'old days' since there won't be any left. So I pay for myself and for the others who made bad choices. And I am obligated by law to do that.

Not if you move.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Proculation Proculation:

You would prefer Dickensian London, perhaps?

Brenda @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Proculation Proculation:
Brenda Brenda:
$1:

Why ?

Well, maybe you want to maintain your own little road (and the road I drive on while you are at it, in case you come visit), pay the doctors you are going to need one day already so they will be there when you need them, pay for private education for your kids because no one ever paid for public schools. Oh wait, you don't have kids? Well, MINE will be the ones that wipe your ass when you can't do it yourself anymore, they are the ones that will drive the bus because you are not allowed to drive anymore, they are the ones that will maintain your house for the elderly.

Brenda @ Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:

1. We do not all 'profit' from government. :roll:

2. What we can do is eliminate subsidies to immigrants, eliminate welfare grants to able bodied people, end subsidies of all sorts to all private businesses from farms to factories to Wall Street, stop using the Social Security payments from working people to support non-working people, close all of our overseas bases and abandon the wars, end every single tax loophole, end all foreign aid, and end all of the 'free trade' agreements whose principle exports have been jobs, and end every single last social program that transfers wealth from one person to another.

3. Roads are supposed to be maintained from fuel taxes but the politicians have been stealing that money and giving it to their pet constituencies for decades.

4. I agree that everyone should 'pitch in' and that can best start by ending our tax system in which near 50% of the people pay nothing and imposing a single, fair, flat tax that everyone will pay be they high income or low income.

If you want to cut spending, first you do is bring your debt down. I think all mentioned above should be done.
The 1% I am talking about would be once. Just once.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next