Canada Kicks Ass
What have you learned, or how have you changed due to CKA?

Previous  1  2

Guy_Fawkes @ Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I came on here to interact with different view points, since where I am now, everyone is pretty homogeneous.

I've found that even though I might despise what person says their point might actually make sense. That I am wrong or several things, and admitting you are wrong is not such a horrible thing. I've also discovered that being right for no other reason then to stroke my own ego, is wrong in itself. Surrounding yourself with people who think differently than you do, makes you smarter.

I have learned of several different ways of thinking about something. That if you are truly going to stand by what you say you should damn well better be able to back it up with something. I've realized that things I have done in the past, although for what I thought were the right reasons at the time, were likely for naught.

I've learned about other cultures, not just the Quebecois but Americans, Brits, Dutch, Ukrainians, Emirates, gay points of view, the views of the young, the old and the batshit crazy. Even though they, in some cases, have radically different views than myself they on the whole are good and decent people. Who essentially are just like I am. It's those similarities that keep us together as friends.

Strutz @ Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Save for TG and Strutz - they're mainland girls, which are the best kind of girls. You know...the ones we import to my Island for baby making! :wink:

:lol: :P [B-o] :rock:

Awwwww... Gunny... I'm... touched...

True, true... we are the best! :wink:

But make your own baby. :twisted:

And sammich! :lol:

Gunnair @ Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Strutz Strutz:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Save for TG and Strutz - they're mainland girls, which are the best kind of girls. You know...the ones we import to my Island for baby making! :wink:

My mighty heart is broken! Perhaps you may want to come for some wine?

Mmmmmmmmm.........Pinot grigio

Strutz @ Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. How have your attitudes towards others, or yourself been changed by your exposure to other posters and their thoughts and ideas?

Sometime back there was another thread started that more or less asked the same.

I find the diversity of members in here interesting.

I can say that I have learned a fair bit from other posters. Mostly in the sense of seeing some things from a different perspective, especially when people have shared personal experiences. I can't say that my views and opinions have been changed by this but I have learned to appreciate why some take certain stands on some issues, even if they are different from my own.

Strutz @ Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Strutz Strutz:
Gunnair Gunnair:

My mighty heart is broken! Perhaps you may want to come for some wine?

Mmmmmmmmm.........Pinot grigio

Wine... and being it's summer.... white wines.... now your hitting the right buttons... :wink:

rickc @ Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 pm

andyt andyt:
Because hard core crony capitalist oligarchies are not very different to communism as practiced by the Soviets. Who's running the show? The same people who were part of the aparat during soviet times.

Cuba has a health care system ranked just below the US by WHO. They have the highest literacy rate in the world. We're ranked at 23. Imagine where Cuba would be without the embargo.

Rick, have you traveled to left wing countries such as the Scandinavian ones? Did they make you swear "off anything to do with the left when we seen first hand how left wing politics play out in real life."

Since you asked me about the Scandinavian coutries, I would have to admit that I would backpedal a bit from my statement. The Scandinavian countries do a lot of things very well. Everyone has a place to live,food to eat, free college education,free health care,etc. Anyone on the dole in Scandinavia is living a hell of a lot better than anyone on the dole in Canada,or the U.S. However when you lead at the averages,you tend to lose at the extreames. The best all around athlete is usually not the best at any particular event. The general population of Scandinavia may be better educated than the general population of the U.S. However the top 10% of the U.S. blows Scandinavia away. You pick 100 random people off of the streets from the States. Pick 100 people off of the streets in Scandinavia. Put them on jeopardy.My money is on Scandinavia. Pick the 10 smartest people in the States,and the 10 smartest people in Scandinavia. Put them on jeopardy. The Americans would blow them away in the first round. Do you see any cutting edge tech coming out of Scandinavia? Any new product that you just have to have? I really like Volvos,and wish I could afford one. Other than a Volvo,some furniture,and some really hot women, there is really nothing coming out of Scandinavia that I want. I sure don't want one of their phones. I would be very surprised if Nokia is still in business two years from now.

Left wingers in North America love to sing the praises of Scandinavia. They never want to talk about the price of Scandinavia's success.

http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/whatwedo/ ... table.aspx

Check out those corporate tax rates. The Scandinavian countries have lower tax rates than most of their western European neighbors. Hell most of them with the exception of Norway have a lower corporate tax rate than Canada. I know your federal tax rate is an amazingly low rate of 15%. When you add in the Provincial rates,the number moves much higher. Scandinavian countries have a low corporate tax rate for that part of the world. Corporations get a well educated work force with a good work ethic. They get to do business in a first world country that respects the rule of law. Corporations could get a lower rate moving to eastern Europe countries. That would open up a whole new can of worms as in corruption. Everyone and their brother would be shaking them down for bribes. Their merchandise would be pilfered. It is smart business to be in Scandinavia. If the corporations are not paying for all of this pie in the sky way of life, than the citizens are. Scandinavian countries have some of the highest personal tax rates in the world. The average joe is taking it on the chin. I do not see any lefty on this board wanting to follow that model. I have been on this forum for a few years now. I have yet to see any lefty calling for the lowering of corporate tax rates in Canada, and the raising of personal tax rates. Quite the opposite. The occupy crowd is not hanging around my middle class neighborhood demanding that I pay more taxes. They are hanging around Wall street, major banks, major corporations, demanding that they pay more. As if paying the highest corporate taxes in the world is not enough for these people. Check out the corporate rate for the U.S. Only a fool would consider bringing a corp. to the States. One of my favorite stock holding: Eaton corp. is moving to Ireland to escape the outrageous corporate tax rates in the States.

You want what Scandinavia has? Raise your personal tax rates to 60% and you can have it too. Like I said, I admire many things about Scandinavia. I would like to follow some of their model. I would like to see American corporate tax rates slashed to some of the lowest in the world to attract business,and bring American corporations back home. I would like to see the half of American citizens who pay no taxes,start paying taxes. No one should get out of paying taxes.If you are a homeless bum who just earned a Dollar shining shoes, you can give 20 cents to the government. Every one benefits from having a strong military,police, fire and ambulance services, courts,jails,librarys,etc,etc. Government cost money. EVERYONE should have to pitch in! Just as there should be no business too big to fail, no one should be to small to contribute. Get all the freeloaders helping to foot the bill for government services,and you would see government start to shrink. There is no free lunch. I say go to a flat tax with NO exceptions. Everyone pays. When the 50% of Americans who pay no taxes now start paying 22% ,let me know. If we still fall short of our budget,than we can talk about raising taxes on EVERYONE. You asked me a question in this thread, so I wanted to answer in this thread. I rambled on for too long as usual. I do not want to hijack Unsound's thread [which by the way is one of the better ones I have seen in quite a while, [B-o] Yey Unsound!] Start a new left vs. right thread if you want to discuss further. Piece out!

Public_Domain @ Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:38 am

I know many disagree with this thing but it's something mumbled by my uncle and is some common old poem:

Jack of all trades;
Master of None.
Certainly better than
A Master of One.

The best conversations are off-topic, :(

Previous  1  2