Canada Kicks Ass
People born and raised in Canada wanted for quick linguistic

1  2  Next

swedish @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

I'm measuring attitudes to different verbs used in quotatives, as they're called, with the last couple of decades' rise in the usage of "be like" ("so I was like", "and then he was like", etc).

It's just for a small school project which is why the questions aren't that many. I'm using another study as base for this project, in which they have data from Canadians, which is why I want only Canadians to answer this.

I looked through the rules and couldn't find anything that says this isn't within the rules, so I hope this is fine. Feel free to ask if you have any questions

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:16 pm

This is not spam.

Welcome aboard! [B-o]

raydan @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm

As long as he's not asking us if we have a funny accent...

ccga3359 @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Yikes, just because I wasn't born in Canada I can't take the survey. Never mind my more than 4 decades of living in this country and my funny Canadian accent...

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

raydan raydan:
As long as (the guy from Sweden is) not asking us if we have a funny accent...

8)

swedish @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:45 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:
Yikes, just because I wasn't born in Canada I can't take the survey. Never mind my more than 4 decades of living in this country and my funny Canadian accent...

I realize this seems harsh, and my intention is not to offend. However, to participate in the study from which I am taking my data, you had to both be born and raised in Canada, so I wanted to be careful to use the same parameters.

raydan @ Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:46 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:

8)

The Swedish chef taught me all the Swedish I know. :D

swedish @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:15 am

Thanks for all your answers. You have until about Monday to answer the survey, before I have to compile the results, so if you haven't yet you still have time ;). I actually need at least a few more so if you want to make a Swede happy this is the way to do it!

martin14 @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 am

raydan raydan:

Damn Frenchie, ESL class is like down the hall like over dere eh

ccga3359 ccga3359:

Bloody immigrant, get off my rock, go back to like your own rock.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:

8)

Murrican with like a funny accent. Like a California dreamboat accent, like you know.

Sorry Sven, looks like you are SOL around here. :lol:
Hope your teacher like understands, eh.

PluggyRug @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:11 am

martin14 martin14:
raydan raydan:

Damn Frenchie, ESL class is like down the hall like over dere eh

ccga3359 ccga3359:

Bloody immigrant, get off my rock, go back to like your own rock.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:

8)

Murrican with like a funny accent. Like a California dreamboat accent, like you know.

Sorry Sven, looks like you are SOL around here. :lol:
Hope your teacher like understands, eh.

Like what he said, eh what me old cuckoo..

Strutz @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm

swedish swedish:
Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

I'm measuring attitudes to different verbs used in quotatives, as they're called, with the last couple of decades' rise in the usage of "be like" ("so I was like", "and then he was like", etc).

It's just for a small school project which is why the questions aren't that many. I'm using another study as base for this project, in which they have data from Canadians, which is why I want only Canadians to answer this.

I looked through the rules and couldn't find anything that says this isn't within the rules, so I hope this is fine. Feel free to ask if you have any questions

Just curious... are you Canadian or, as your username might indicate, Swedish?

Nice short questionnaire btw. Until I read those questions it didn't occur to me how often sentences are said, like, you know, that way. :wink:

raydan @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:

I can't really take it either, in all honesty... I don't get to speak English all that often, most days not at all.

swedish @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:17 am

Strutz Strutz:
swedish swedish:
Just curious... are you Canadian or, as your username might indicate, Swedish?

Nice short questionnaire btw. Until I read those questions it didn't occur to me how often sentences are said, like, you know, that way. :wink:

I'm Swedish! Currently studying English at a uni here in Sweden. I'm getting my bachelor in English next year (*knocks on wood*) and what I'm doing from there remains to be seen. This all is for a course on regional and social variation in the English language.

swedish @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:21 am

Oh, and by the way, the original study is called "He's like, she's like: The quotative system in Canadian Youth" if anyone is interested. Unfortunately it's a little outdated, from 2004, but it examines the rise of "be like" (how often what verb is said).

Edit: I have now closed the survey. Thank you all for contributing! :)

herbie @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am

Good. It was a weird thing to study unless you were looking at how language is influenced by media.
Nobody used "be like" at all until it crept into use here out of U.S. movies and tv. You'll get a funny look if you use that in adult conversation. Like you will if you say you "seen" something instead of "saw".

1  2  Next