Canada Kicks Ass
Canada's Defining Moments

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next

fifeboy @ Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 am

Arctic_Menace @ Sun May 09, 2010 10:40 am

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Brenda Brenda:

Maybe not to you...

Yep (you want to compare Canadian historical understanding? Really?) AND historians evidently as it hardly ranks up there with 1812, Vimy Ridge, the Statute of Westminster, WWII (and liberating the Netherlands is a defining moment) or any other slew of nation-building events. It's not insignificant, nor should it be forgotten, but it's not a "Defining" moment. Check a general Canadian history book - most don't even include it.

Actually Mustang, my history books had that in them. I would also wager to say that it IS a defining moment in Canadian history for several reasons:

- It cemented pretty much eternal friendship between Canada and the Netherlands, which helped Canada establish its own individual embassies and trade relations which helped makes us more of a country and distance us from Britain.

- It helped establish our reputation as being nice and polite people.

- It was the only time in Canadian history that a foreign flag has been flown from the Peace Tower in Ottawa.

- It showed the world that Canada had grown up and was clearly coming into its own, which I'd say is a rather defining moment.

Mustang1 @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:00 am

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
Brenda Brenda:

Maybe not to you...

Yep (you want to compare Canadian historical understanding? Really?) AND historians evidently as it hardly ranks up there with 1812, Vimy Ridge, the Statute of Westminster, WWII (and liberating the Netherlands is a defining moment) or any other slew of nation-building events. It's not insignificant, nor should it be forgotten, but it's not a "Defining" moment. Check a general Canadian history book - most don't even include it.

Actually Mustang, my history books had that in them. I would also wager to say that it IS a defining moment in Canadian history for several reasons:

- It cemented pretty much eternal friendship between Canada and the Netherlands, which helped Canada establish its own individual embassies and trade relations which helped makes us more of a country and distance us from Britain.

- It helped establish our reputation as being nice and polite people.

- It was the only time in Canadian history that a foreign flag has been flown from the Peace Tower in Ottawa.

- It showed the world that Canada had grown up and was clearly coming into its own, which I'd say is a rather defining moment.

Really? I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but i've got numerous general ones here and none of them mention it - in fact, i've yet to have it specifically addressed in any general survey course in university or in any seminar on significant moments. That's interesting.

In terms of "defining moments" i'd say you've overreached. Firstly, while it did cement our relationship with the Netherlands, the liberation was far more defining. Secondly, it did not help Canada establish its own individual embassies (WWI opens up our international Independence cemented by the Chanak Crisis) nor did it have any measurable effect on distancing us from Britain (you may want to look at WWII era Ogdensburg Agreement and Hyde Park Agreement as true events in moving away from Britain - in addition to the aforementioned Chanak).

There is no objective evidence that it established our reputation as "being nice and polite people". This became a character trait long after WWII and it was based in large part on the peacekeeping persona and centennial celebrations).

Lastly, it had little to do with Canada "growing up or coming into our own". None. The Boer War, WWI (Vimy Ridge, and Imperial War Cabinet, Versailles), Chanak, Westminster, King/Byng, WWII (from declaring war independently, BCATP, the Battle of the Atlantic, Dieppe, Battle of Britain, Italy, No. 6 Group Bomber Command, Juno, the formation of the UN...etc) forming the UN ALL have more to do with this nation growing up than providing a safe haven for exiled Dutch royals.

A little perspective is needed as this is historical but "defining"? Not when its compared to real altering events.

Mustang1 @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:01 am

Brenda Brenda:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
Brenda Brenda:
That's Mrs. Ignorance to you ;-)

Who cares? It's still Ignorance. :wink:

Who cares? ;-)

Evidently, you.

Mustang1 @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

That it is not mentioned in history books says more about Canadian history books than about history itself.

Wow, another dig at Canada. :roll:

Not surprising from our resident visitor

Brenda @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:13 am

Mustang Mustang:
It's not a defining moment in Canada's history. You're wrong. Move on.

Mustang Mustang:
Really? I'm not suggesting you're wrong,

:lol: :lol:

Mustang1 @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:19 am

Brenda Brenda:
Mustang Mustang:
It's not a defining moment in Canada's history. You're wrong. Move on.

Mustang Mustang:
Really? I'm not suggesting you're wrong,

:lol: :lol:

It was in reference to, "my history books had that in them" which explains why i followed up your quote mine with, "but i've got numerous general ones here and none of them mention it - in fact, i've yet to have it specifically addressed in any general survey course in university or in any seminar on significant moments." Interesting that you left that out - either it's an obvious and desperate shot or you have an inability to comprehend English. Either way, you're still wrong and now all you're doing is gumming up the thread with your ignorance and trolling and spamming.

Get a clue and shuffle on.

Brenda @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:27 am

Nah, I just thought it was funny that I am wrong, and now apparently can't comprehend English, while you are the troll :D

Mustang1 @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 am

Brenda Brenda:
Nah, I just thought it was funny that I am wrong, and now apparently can't comprehend English, while you are the troll :D

It's not funny, it's sad. You seem unable to comprehend your intellectual shortcomings and continue to flaunt them, unaware that you're merely promulgating your ignorance. You've offered nothing of substance to this thread other than to serve as a cautionary tale in posting about things you know little about. It's too bad you visit Canada and yet you know very little about the nation that is currently supporting you. I guess you're more of a troll than i'll allegedly ever be...

I guess you still have nothing of relevance to post? Didn't think so.

Brenda @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:38 am

Supporting me? ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Mustang1 @ Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 am

Brenda Brenda:
Supporting me? ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Still nothing but spam? Thought so...enjoy Canada, you're welcome, troll.

Getting back to the topic (and beyond our resident baby's limited knowledge) i'd also include the following:

NATO
NORAD
Pearson's Peacekeeping
FLQ Crisis
The Charter

Gunnair @ Sun May 09, 2010 12:40 pm

I'd throw in:

Canadian participation in Anglo Boer War with it's first international field force;

Welcoming of Sitting Bull by the NWMP; and

Creation of the RCN.

angler57 @ Mon May 10, 2010 5:33 am

Being friends of a fine gentleman and his wife, from Windsor, Ontario his expecience on D-Day was sure a defining moment in his life. And in its way to the bravery and courage of the Canadian invasion forces.
He was a member of the then Canadian Royal Air Force.
But, on D-Day he and his group waded ashore caring cameras and darkroom gear. Not rifles. The only defense they had was courage.
When they reached the airfield that was to have been secured by their arrival, it was not. And the enemy found their rashness quite offensive.
Knowing a dwindling number of fellas who engaged in D-Day in both the US and Canadian forces, to them we owe a debt that we will never be able to repay.
World War II To Bob who walked from Africa to Germany. To Will who was seasick aboard a Destroyer each day of the was in European waters. And, millions of dead servicemen, that war seems a defining moment to me for all the allies.

DerbyX @ Mon May 10, 2010 9:45 am

Surprising that nobody has mentioned the British North America act. That act actually helped to define Canada literaly. To the lists I'd like to add the Octobre crisis.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 10, 2010 10:32 am

To me there are some defining moments in Canadian history:

1. When Canada rescued Americans from Iran in 1979.

2. When Canadians opened their homes to stranded American travelers in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

3. When CF-18's flew intercepts during the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

4. When my new neighbours in Oak Bay came by our new house to welcome us and one of them gave me a US flag for the flag pole and told me to be sure to fly it on July 4th.

5. When an unknown Canadian soldier enroute to Europe during WW1 shared a drink with my grandfather who was the purser on the Mauretania, something my grandfather remembered fondly until his death in 1968.

6. When the staff at Butchart Gardens let me and Mrs. Bart have some quiet time after hours in the Sunken Garden last year when she was recovering from chemotherapy.

7. When I had a conversation with the most charming young lady from Halifax at the Inner Harbour in Victoria in 2003.

8. The WW2 vet who bought me a drink at the OC at Esquimalt in 1994.

9. The kid who found and returned my wallet to me at the airport in Van.

10. Five years of good friends on this site. [B-o]

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next