Canada Kicks Ass
Mysteries of the Franklin Voyage Revealed

Tiainspace @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 am

An interesting, free public event - February 3rd 2015 7PM ET -- Discovering the Erebus: Mysteries of the Franklin Voyage Revealed

I work at CIGI, who is hosting the event. This has been our most popular lecture this season (the general admission sold out in 24 hours), and I thought others might be interested in watching the webcast -- topic touches on Canadian history, underwater archaeology and politics.

Whether you see arctic exploration as part of Canadian national identity or not, you can join me for the online broadcast and even pass questions to the live stage.

The event is free. You can RSVP for the webcast at: http://www.cigionline.org/franklin

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition
"Franklin's lost expedition was a British voyage of Arctic exploration led by Captain Sir John Franklin that departed England in 1845. A Royal Navy officer and experienced explorer, Franklin had served on three previous Arctic expeditions, the latter two as commanding officer. His fourth and last, undertaken when he was 59, was meant to traverse the last unnavigated section of the Northwest Passage. After a few early fatalities, the two ships became icebound in Victoria Strait near King William Island in the Canadian Arctic. The entire expedition complement, including Franklin and 128 men, was lost."

BartSimpson @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 am

The first time in my life I've seen a spam post and wasn't pissed off about it. [B-o]

Regina @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The first time in my life I've seen a spam post and wasn't pissed off about it. [B-o]

:lol: Ditto.

Tiainspace @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks guys. Sorry to self-promote! :oops:

stratos @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:34 am

In this case I think it's acceptable. At least you are not Tiainspace from Istanbul claiming to be from Winnipeg just wanting to work your way through collage by selling these special blue pills for men. :D

stratos @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 am

Not to mention you got the attention of some history buffs on here. [B-o]

Regina @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 am

Tiainspace Tiainspace:
Thanks guys. Sorry to self-promote! :oops:

Usually spammers who link to their business or whatever are removed and banned from the site. I thought the same as Bart and thought I'd let it go because of the topic. If you want to update or add to your original post that will be fine if you just use this thread rather than start a new one.
You may also fine other parts of the site interesting and join in if you like.

Tiainspace @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Regina Regina:
Usually spammers who link to their business or whatever are removed and banned from the site. I thought the same as Bart and thought I'd let it go because of the topic. If you want to update or add to your original post that will be fine if you just use this thread rather than start a new one.
You may also fine other parts of the site interesting and join in if you like.

Great, will do!

Delwin @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm intrigued, but before I sign up, I am going to need to know if they ate each other in the final fateful days. It's a pretty big selling point and I don't handle disappoinment well. Also, are the ship's logs intact ? I am under the impression that they should have been sealed.

Jabberwalker @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Delwin Delwin:
I'm intrigued, but before I sign up, I am going to need to know if they ate each other in the final fateful days. It's a pretty big selling point and I don't handle disappoinment well. Also, are the ship's logs intact ? I am under the impression that they should have been sealed.

Some pretty recent archaeology has found finger bones with cut marks all over them. You've got to be seriously far gone to chew away on another man's hand, if you think about it.

Anyway ... Royal Navy ...you know ...