Canada Kicks Ass
Thinking of Immigrating to Canada

Previous  1  2  3  Next

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 am

andyt andyt:
MooseCub MooseCub:
Is business Law even useful in Canada?

Say what?

I didn't mean it like that. Some practices aren't in demand in the U.S. Like entertainment...lawyers in general due to cost and the rise is use of pralegals and what have you.

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 am

maldonsfecht maldonsfecht:
13 states across different regions, or all in one area? (as much as that is possible)... Have you lived in the Upper Midwest? Similar to here... The upper New England States (Maine, Vermont, etc?)

Maine, Ct, Georgia, Fl, Upstate NY and NYC (I'm currently upstate), Montana, Vriginia, North Carolina, Ky, PA, OH, MA, sorry typing the names is terrible XD

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:41 am

Brenda Brenda:
Define "cold". I'm from The Netherlands (wet and cold, damp. Feels like freezing at +15 C (heh, google the conversion to Fahrenheit :lol:)) while I don't even wear a jacket at -5C here in the mountains of BC...

Where do you live now?
Like if you die you still look like you 100 years later kinda of cold cold. I live in Buffalo, New York for now.

andyt @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 am

You might want to ask your question about transferablity of your law degree to Canada at a place with more to offer than this forum. Like the bar association in the province you plan to move to. My guess is you'll have to jump a few hurdles but it's not insurmountable.

Also consider that our immigration system has a huge backlog - people can wait in the queue for years. The system if moving toward allowing provinces and companies to sponsor people for specific jobs. My guess would be that we have plenty of lawyers and you wouldn't be high on the list. But I guess if your sweetie is still a Canadian, that won't be a problem, also him sponsoring you will still take some time.

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 am

Brenda Brenda:
Well, duhhhh, of course every American wears a coyboy-hat :twisted:

The existence of the Queen is not something you would notice in your daily life.
As an immigrant from Europe, the only advice I can give you is what Gunnair gave you: come on over, and check it out. I think it depends on where you want to go too. Just like NYC differs from small town Texas, so does Toronto differ from say small town Nova Scotia...

lmao I stare at people who wear them. I visited Texas and I was just horrified. every American stereotype exists in Texas except the Yankee thing. I dunno where that came from.
WE were looking at British Columbia, mostly because I don't want to live in Montreal. It's nothing against them, I've just been on the east coast too long. If I could afford it I'd tour all of Canada.

maldonsfecht @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:47 am

MooseCub MooseCub:
13 states across different regions, or all in one area? (as much as that is possible)... Have you lived in the Upper Midwest? Similar to here... The upper New England States (Maine, Vermont, etc?)

Maine, Ct, Georgia, Fl, Upstate NY and NYC (I'm currently upstate), Montana, Vriginia, North Carolina, Ky, PA, OH, MA, sorry typing the names is terrible XD

I've lived in Northern Illinois (Lakeside), Nashville and Memphis, TN, and Annapolis MD and been about plenty of other places (East of the Mississippi) and I would say that if you've lived in Upstate NY and Maine you have a decent idea of the climate and landscapes of (my part of) Canada. The rest depends on the size of town, city and the demographics I guess.

Military family?

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 am

andyt andyt:
You might want to ask your question about transferablity of your law degree to Canada at a place with more to offer than this forum. Like the bar association in the province you plan to move to. My guess is you'll have to jump a few hurdles but it's not insurmountable.

Also consider that our immigration system has a huge backlog - people can wait in the queue for years. The system if moving toward allowing provinces and companies to sponsor people for specific jobs. My guess would be that we have plenty of lawyers and you wouldn't be high on the list. But I guess if your sweetie is still a Canadian, that won't be a problem, also him sponsoring you will still take some time.
Meh I just figured if someone knew it wouldn't hurt to ask. He hasn't lived in Canada since he was 5 so is he still Canadian?

maldonsfecht @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am

MooseCub MooseCub:
Brenda Brenda:

The existence of the Queen is not something you would notice in your daily life.
As an immigrant from Europe, the only advice I can give you is what Gunnair gave you: come on over, and check it out. I think it depends on where you want to go too. Just like NYC differs from small town Texas, so does Toronto differ from say small town Nova Scotia...

lmao I stare at people who wear them. I visited Texas and I was just horrified. every American stereotype exists in Texas except the Yankee thing. I dunno where that came from.
WE were looking at British Columbia, mostly because I don't want to live in Montreal. It's nothing against them, I've just been on the east coast too long. If I could afford it I'd tour all of Canada.

I have nothing against the American stereotype, especially in Texas. [B-o] It's their state and their prerogative to live as they choose. In a state larger than many countries, they have their own identity and need not apologise to outsiders. XD

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 am

MooseCub MooseCub:

I've lived in Northern Illinois (Lakeside), Nashville and Memphis, TN, and Annapolis MD and been about plenty of other places (East of the Mississippi) and I would say that if you've lived in Upstate NY and Maine you have a decent idea of the climate and landscapes of (my part of) Canada. The rest depends on the size of town, city and the demographics I guess.

Military family?

Nah no military, just doctors and nurses.

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am

MooseCub MooseCub:
Brenda Brenda:

I have nothing against the American stereotype, especially in Texas. [B-o] It's their state and their prerogative to live as they choose. In a state larger than many countries, they have their own identity and need not apologise to outsiders. XD

Meh, to each is own I suppose I found them to be a bit belligerent and intolerant of anything new. Apparently they want to be their own country. That would be...interesting to say the least

Brenda @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:01 am

If he did not denounce his Canadian Citizenship, he should still be Canadian.
check this site for all the rules and regs:
www.cic.gc.ca

maldonsfecht @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:03 am

re: Texas
Well, they were their own country at one point... Patriotism like that dies hard. Even though they are Americans, they are Texans first. I see most states as having that type of system. After all, 50 united states, each with their own government and laws... Just as I am Nova Scotian when I speak to other Canadians, and am Canadian when speaking to foreigners...

Many folks are firm believers of, if it ain't broke don't fix it... They see nothing wrong with how they live in TX, so why bother bringing in the new... not everyone needs to be a progressive :wink:

MooseCub @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am

Brenda Brenda:
If he did not denounce his Canadian Citizenship, he should still be Canadian.
check this site for all the rules and regs:
http://www.cic.gc.ca

Oh okay we'll look into on the 'morrow since we might have to make some calls. Thank you ^^

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 am

MooseCub MooseCub:
andyt andyt:

Meh I just figured if someone knew it wouldn't hurt to ask. He hasn't lived in Canada since he was 5 so is he still Canadian?

If he was born here and has not renounced his citizenship, yes he is. Like Andy says, you'll need to look into the transferability of business law. The basics will be mostly the same (unless you move to Quebec), but you might have more bar exams to qualify.

Brenda @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 am

Quebec has it's own rules and regs for immigration.

Previous  1  2  3  Next