Canada Kicks Ass
Sailor who doubled in size on navy diet wins disability

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:06 pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia ... y-benefits

I'm sorry, but this is an absolute crock of shit. he got fat because he ate the wrong foods, likely drank too much booze and didn't exercise.

$1:
According to the October decision, the man grew up eating a lean, healthy traditional diet that consisted of food harvested from the land, wild game such as geese, grouse, fish, raccoon, and porcupine, as well as plants like lilies, cattails and dandelions.

At sea, however, fresh food was available only for the first few weeks. The rest of the time, food came from a can, was deep-fried or was grilled in oil.

This high-fat, high-sodium diet caused the man to go from 160 pounds to more than 300 during the course of his service. Obesity is one of the major causes of hypertension, which leads to a significantly increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

He also suffered several injuries that limited his exercise abilities, including a fall from a shipboard ladder.

I remember there always being a steady supply of salad, fruits and lean protein. We also had a hydra gym, with several pieces in the mortar well. The captain and several others often ran laps around the quarter deck/mortar well while in calm seas. pretty well everyone would go for jogs, walks or swims while we were tied up, or if anchored in the tropics we'd go swimming, especially if painting the ship and you were suspended in the bosn's chair. You also got put on a restricted diet and exercise plan if you got too fat. personal choice is how he got fat.

BartSimpson @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:18 pm

My friend Justin (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, USS Toledo) left the Navy over that issue. They're doing sub duty where they get exceptional gourmet food and no exercise and then they get bounced for gaining weight.

Typical government/military behavior.

BeaverFever @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:24 pm

There's a picture of the fellow here:

Freakinoldguy @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:01 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1325370-sailor-who-doubled-in-size-on-navy-diet-wins-disability-benefits

I'm sorry, but this is an absolute crock of shit. he got fat because he ate the wrong foods, likely drank too much booze and didn't exercise.

$1:
According to the October decision, the man grew up eating a lean, healthy traditional diet that consisted of food harvested from the land, wild game such as geese, grouse, fish, raccoon, and porcupine, as well as plants like lilies, cattails and dandelions.

At sea, however, fresh food was available only for the first few weeks. The rest of the time, food came from a can, was deep-fried or was grilled in oil.

This high-fat, high-sodium diet caused the man to go from 160 pounds to more than 300 during the course of his service. Obesity is one of the major causes of hypertension, which leads to a significantly increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

He also suffered several injuries that limited his exercise abilities, including a fall from a shipboard ladder.

I remember there always being a steady supply of salad, fruits and lean protein. We also had a hydra gym, with several pieces in the mortar well. The captain and several others often ran laps around the quarter deck/mortar well while in calm seas. pretty well everyone would go for jogs, walks or swims while we were tied up, or if anchored in the tropics we'd go swimming, especially if painting the ship and you were suspended in the bosn's chair. You also got put on a restricted diet and exercise plan if you got too fat. personal choice is how he got fat.

Yup and if it was back in the late 80's they'd have thrown his ass out with nothing but since our Military is now the biggest group of politically correct fucking pussies in the world it couldn't be his fault because, as everyone knows nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore.

I've seen people who couldn't walk because of injuries incurred in the military who got sweet fuck all because their supervisor and Med A didn't fill out a CF98 so there's no " proper military" record of their injury and yet this fat fuck is on easy street because he has zero self control and a death wish.

Show me the justice in this decision? Oh wait.

$1:
According to the October decision, the man grew up eating a lean, healthy traditional diet that consisted of food harvested from the land, wild game such as geese, grouse, fish, raccoon, and porcupine, as well as plants like lilies, cattails and dandelions

Given that diet I bet I can guess this guys ethnicity. ROTFL

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:11 pm

mmmmm....coon. Mighty fine eating PDT_Armataz_01_32

Freakinoldguy @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:16 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
My friend Justin (Nuclear Machinist's Mate, USS Toledo) left the Navy over that issue. They're doing sub duty where they get exceptional gourmet food and no exercise and then they get bounced for gaining weight.

Typical government/military behavior.

Strange because the last time I was on one or your Ohio Class Subs they had a couple of treadmills and exercise bikes for the crews to use. I guess having 183 less feet in length on the Los Angeles class took away any space for exercise equipment.

So, I wonder what they do for exercise.

Never mind I found the answer.

$1:
Though life onboard a submarine can be difficult, in addition to the aforementioned cuisine, there are recreational activities available including movies seen on a number of large flat panel screens throughout the boat, board and card games, video games, music from iPods that seem absolutely ubiquitous throughout the submarine, a diverse library onboard and even exercise equipment back in the engine room.

http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones ... o-ssn-769/

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:17 pm

results in vision loss.

BartSimpson @ Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:34 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
results in vision loss.

Same thing happens to prisoners in long term solitary confinement.