Canada Kicks Ass
USS Carl Vinson makes historic visit to Da Nang, Vietnam

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:24 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 394324002/

$1:
USS Carl Vinson – the Navy's massive, nuclear powered aircraft carrier – arrived in Vietnam on Monday, marking the first time such a ship has docked in the country since the Vietnam War.

The Nimitz-class supercarrier, accompanied by another carrier and a destroyer, anchored off the coast of Da Nang – the city where 3,500 Marines landed in March 1965 as the war's first American ground troops.

BartSimpson @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:27 am

Translation: Vietnam is afraid of China.

DrCaleb @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 am

I've always though when looking at pics of Aircraft carriers - they should not float upright. ;)

They look too top heavy.

BartSimpson @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I've always though when looking at pics of Aircraft carriers - they should not float upright. ;)

They look too top heavy.

Most of the top half of a carrier is made of air.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:42 am

Past history shows that Vietnam has a right to fear China but, given their geographical location I'd say the US is courting them in order to put another ally on the list to help contain China's ambitions.

So, any alliance or agreement between these two former antagonists and chinaphobics could be considered mutually beneficial to both.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 am

The last time Vietnam and China went at it, the Vietnamese didn't do so well.

Sunnyways @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
The last time Vietnam and China went at it, the Vietnamese didn't do so well.

It's hard to figure out what happened here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War

One thing is clear; the Chinese went home as soon as 'victory' had been declared. They had no intention of facing Vietnamese resistance. It has been suggested that their casualties where considerably higher than they admitted.

martin14 @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

They look too top heavy.

Most of the top half of a carrier is made of air.

Especially the officer's deck. Mostly hot air. ;)